« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vick: I Found Jesus

8/27/2007 12:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that the judge has accepted Vick's plea.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Gramane

I HOPE HE DID FIND JESUS, HE'S GONNA NEED HIM WHERE HE'S GOING!!!!

Glisten Garbor

What a load of doo doo..He said sorry to everyone but the animals that he killed.

Jezabelle

"found god" my @$$
He is a sick, sick man. Celebrities are getting off easy with the law as of late but I pray that torturing and killing innocent animals will not be taken lightly. He disgusts me. This apology is is fake and his previous denial of any involvement in the crimes is proof enough. I don't think it's a coincidence that he "finds god" after all the others make plea bargains and he is forced to plead guilty.

Craig

They (people that are facing jail/ or are caught doing something bad) ALWAYS SAY THEY"VE FOUND JESUS.

So lets throw that out (anone that believes that is prbably a naive, or religiuos, idiot!!).

Sadly, the same empty headed type of people that mostly make u of football fans, will probably forgive him later (as long as he can benefit the teams they treasure!)!

And he NEVER apologiged to the dogs he killed, or to animal lovers that suffered 2!!!!!!!

Erika

ya ya ya.... say sorry and find Jesus... that seems to be "in" these days with celeb.s

sueinwa

No redemption here!
Throw him in jail and loose the key!

djdw61

He's aplogetic to beg his way back into the NFL. Words don't mean a thing. Put some action to that apology and maybe we will believe...

buyaclue

Found Jesus my Aunt's fanny.

Translation: "I'm losing money because I did a bad thing. Let's see if they buy this."

Fact: Most serial killers start out by torturing animals......

Jezabelle

Whatever he gets is not enough.

He'll never have to suffer the way those dogs did.

Michael Vick is a disgusting individual and brings shame to the human race.

ME

Jamie Foxx go to Hell for supporting Vick. I hope your career tanks!

R U Kidding Me?

BACK OFF~~~~
HE OWNED IT~~
NOW MOVE ON, IDIOTS~~~

THERE STILL ARE DOG FIGHTING RINGS, MURDERS, RAPISTS AND THEIVES OUT THERE GOING UNPUNISHED... PUT YOUR ENERGY ON THEM!

Dakota's Mom

You have got to be kidding me! First, Vick lies to everyone, proclaiming his innocence, then, when his co-conspiritors roll on him, now he declares his guilt and claims to have found Jesus? I'm sorry, but as a dog lover, as a human being, as a Christian, that is absolutely appauling! The only thin Micheal Vick has found is an attorney who is attempting to get him out of this mess with as little jail time as possible.

sea you fly

"I found Jesus" WHAT A LIE!! I'm not even religous and I'm upset that he is taking the Lords name in vein. May he be sent to hell on his judgement day.

I speak da trooph

JohnnySoCal,

I usually enjoy your posts...But, are you kidding me? He's sullen and diminuative because he's lost everything. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. Didn't you see his snide comment about how "this won't touch me, I'm Michael Vick". He hates that he got caught, and Jesus is the only one who can save him now!

Jezabelle

Believable? I would expect nothing less!!! The point of the statement is to gain sympathy. As previously noted: funny how he forgot to apologize to those he tortured and killed? He;s just sorry he got caught and learnt that he'll have to be more secretive next time. BRUTAL.