El Debarge

in El Slammer!

8/29/2007 6:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

El DebargeTMZ has learned R&B sensation El Debarge is currently cooling his dancing shoes in an L.A. County Jail, arrested on Sunday for domestic violence!

Rhymes With Snitch first broke the news of Debarge's arrest. El, whose real name is Eldra, scored major success in 1985 with the hit "Rhythm of the Night." His brother James was briefly married to Janet Jackson, but that marriage was annulled.

Debarge currently sits in a cell, without bail. Wear it well!

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that Debarge is being held on several outstanding warrants ranging from vandalism to drugs to driving with a suspended license. On these particular warrants, bail is not an option -- which means El Debarge will stay behind bars until he sees the judge.

TROLL SMASHERS

oh man, I was just listening to his old cuts with SWITCH, remember "They'll Never Be" Cranky? I can't imagine him ROUGHING ANYONE UP jeez...

Amazing

Princess: did i say : him roughing anyone up? Don't think so! I was commenting on remembering when their music came out and we loved it back then! The kids these days who can they look back to 20 years from now? Oh remember Britney , or Amy Whinehouse. It's sad. Back in the 80's we had FUN!

Amazing

Oh and princess: was soll Anti-ZeiGeist bedeuten?

TROLL SMASHERS

calm down Cranky :P I know what you meant about remembering as I do, but I still can't imagine him being rough with anyone (why he's locked up, not because I think you said it) - he seemed so mellow and laid back all these years but this pic they have now looks like maybe he's been living kind of rough lately.. who's next Webster?

I wonder why there is no bond, this must have happened before. I'm sure TMZ will be bringing more news about it shortly.

Jay

He actually looks pretty good!! He looks the same as he used to look!

G.R. DJ

Let's see....El in jail for domestice violence, Chico ex con for drug running with brother Bobby (may he RIP), Tommy heroin addict..... drugs will make you do some crazy s*&t

Amazing

Princess, your german is cute and so is the effort!!!!
Yeah he definately looks rough and he used to be so cute... He looks more like someone roughed HIM up pretty good. Poor guy , what a way to come back into the lime light.

TROLL SMASHERS

I know it's pathetic right?, traveling abroad this winter.. maybe he's trying to keep up with the Joneses- seems like the only way to get some press is when the cops are involved.

cleveland1

Entertainment news for TMZ must be really slow. Who cares about this HAS BEEN!!! LMAO.

lovecatsanddogs

Say wha?! Sweet, cute lil' El Debarge is now a strung-out thug and possible domestic abuser?! EL-FREAKING-DEBARGE?! What's this world coming to?

stan

so whats the name of they guy he beat up

Amazing

I hope you have fun.
I just got back from Germay (I was born there)and gained 5 "or so" pounds. I didn't realize how much I missed German food and beer....and chocolate...lots of it....
I wish I still had one of his records but they got lost. Too bad about those warrants.

Moozie

huh...I guess he should have been driving at a high speed and whacked out on cocaine when he was smackin someone around and he would have only gotten 85 minutes in jail....who needs bail??? I thought the jails in California were all too full to house one more person....if they have a free cell--maybe they should give Nicole a call and tell her they have a room for her to serve her sentence now.

TROLL SMASHERS

Cranky it mean's I'm completely against this new way of everything, "back in my day" (can't believe I just said that) entertainers were actually entertaining, not just naked or screwing on tape or walking in & out of a club..

Amazing

Princess: I know, I looked it up and totally agree! Back then they actually had to sing and not just yell into a microphone and they'll "touch up" your voice. Same with acting.
The kids/celebs these day's have no challenges, they get bored, show their boobs, do drugs, kill people while driving drunk (with hardly any consequences) and they get paid for their stories in the news, or to get a movie made. We used to go out to drink to have FUN and took the last BUS home.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments