Jerry Lewis Drops F-Bomb During Telethon

9/4/2007 1:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comA woozy Jerry Lewis, 81, went all Isaiah Washington on his telethon last night, calling someone -- or something -- an "illiterate fag."

In the midst of a typically Lewis-ian rant in the 18th hour of his Labor Day telethon, France's favorite comedian swayed, trying to dodge the cameraman, then introduced a "family member" as "the illiterate fag," then remembered, seemingly, that he was on live TV ... stopped himself and tried to move on.

The MDA telethon raised a record $63 million for muscular dystrophy over the three-day weekend.

After scolding us for calling so early (it's not like he dropped an offensive slur or anything!), a rep for Lewis had no comment on the incident.

UPDATE: Neil Giuliano, President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), has just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Jerry Lewis' on-air use of this kind of anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable. It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way. Our nation's media have done an admirable job this year holding public figures accountable for their use of anti-gay slurs, and I hope they continue to do so with Mr. Lewis."

Giuliano told TMZ that GLAAD is reaching out to Lewis' representatives today to request a meeting with him. "We want to sit down with him," Giuliano tells us, "help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor."

Ricky Ticky Tock

Jerry Lewis is like 10 times cooler to me now

Joy

Oh,No How long will he have to stay in rehab?

Tangie

Jerry is da bomb!

Oh My Gosh I BET U R FAT !

GO JERRY!

Jack Ass

GAY AND ANNOYING PERSON MAKES HIMSELF FEEL BETTER DURING SHOW

Raven

How flippin funny!! If you have ever seen Jerry Lewis when he is not doin telethon's, he has quite the mouth on him!! Too funny!!!

Lenn K.

By the reading some of these responds, I guess none of you have a problem with what Ike Washington's remark. So if there no problem why did he get fired. If there is shouldn't Jerry Lewis be removed as a gay basher as well?

Truth Teller

Lubby126

12. I watched bits and pieces of the Telethon- never liked Jerry to begin with. As a gay woman- he is another piece of trash that needs to be thrown out-

Amazing how only straights are intolerant, isn't it? Homosexuals, as a group, are the most hateful and intolerant people I see in these blogs and throughout life. Lubby126, I am not a Jerry Lewis fan, but I know for a fact he has done more to help people than you have ever thought of doing. So, please. . . close your bigoted mouth and just go away.

duste|allen

So, Isiah Washington can't say it and Imus loses his job for saying what he said, but no one makes a big deal about Jerry Lewis? What is going on here? This is the problem we have with our country. We hold everyone to diffirent standards and allow certain people to act one way, but others to act another. I love how since he's "doing such a great thing for MDA," that no one is going to attack him for this, but I would seriously like to see a complete break down of where all this money goes. One of my professors actually worked on the MDA telethon for a few years when he was done with school and he told us he is very against the telethon because when he worked it, only about 30% of the money raised actually went to research for MDA, the rest went into the stars' pockets. I say they should release the financial info AND we make Lewis know that his stupid little rants will not be taken!

Lynn

I will admit it's been quite a few years but Jerry Lewis was very kind to two kids that were flying on the same plane when he allowed the stewardess to bring them up to where he, his family and entourage were sitting in first class. You could tell he was totally exhausted but he stopped what he was doing and spoke to them and signed autographs. Very Nice

shannon

I don't think he was starting to say the 'f' word. I think he said 'fat'. Seriously.

JJ

SO WHAT........?
HE GOOFED & MADE A MISTAKE.....

Glisten Garbor

WoW I've heard Jerry Lewis is a real A hole but I didn't believe it until now.

crus

Does anyone know if Rosie is coming before or after Snoopy and Garfield in the
T-giving parade??

Bored Senseless

I'll agree that his comment was not politically correct, but give the guy a break. You will never find anyone who cares as much about those kids as he does. I've met him. He is a funny, bubbly nut but he takes this charity very seriously. Even when his health was bad, he wouldn't stop. He's done wonderful things for them, which is more than half of us can say!