Jerry Lewis Drops F-Bomb During Telethon

9/4/2007 1:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comA woozy Jerry Lewis, 81, went all Isaiah Washington on his telethon last night, calling someone -- or something -- an "illiterate fag."

In the midst of a typically Lewis-ian rant in the 18th hour of his Labor Day telethon, France's favorite comedian swayed, trying to dodge the cameraman, then introduced a "family member" as "the illiterate fag," then remembered, seemingly, that he was on live TV ... stopped himself and tried to move on.

The MDA telethon raised a record $63 million for muscular dystrophy over the three-day weekend.

After scolding us for calling so early (it's not like he dropped an offensive slur or anything!), a rep for Lewis had no comment on the incident.

UPDATE: Neil Giuliano, President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), has just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Jerry Lewis' on-air use of this kind of anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable. It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way. Our nation's media have done an admirable job this year holding public figures accountable for their use of anti-gay slurs, and I hope they continue to do so with Mr. Lewis."

Giuliano told TMZ that GLAAD is reaching out to Lewis' representatives today to request a meeting with him. "We want to sit down with him," Giuliano tells us, "help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor."

jvan

hes 82

old people like that have a form of tourette - hha

im gay and not offended by this incident

who was the family member he was referring too ? If I were that guy he was speaking to , I may be pissed because thats a direct putdown in front of millions of ears and eyes.

At any rate Jerry Lewis is Jerry Lewis. His first wife wrote a book and he's always been "emotional".

Bored Senseless

Lenn, JL has raised 1.64 BILLION dollars for those kids. He has devoted many, many years to the telethon despite age and serious health problems. He's not perfect and doesn't claim to be - but he does care. I find it hard to believe he should be condemned for this.

Can you honestly tell me that you have never uttered a politically incorrect word?

I don't know much about the IW story so I can't answer your question. But I'm willing to bet he has neither devoted as much personal time nor raised as much money as JL has for muscular dystrophy.

BadGirl013

It's time for Jerry to move on and let someone else do the telethon.......

spy

Oh and by the way, SHELLY, where are you? The soup is ready for you!!!

Kat

I need to add that when he came through the Philly airport that day, Lewis wasn't feeling good and he was sitting in a wheel chair. He had to wait a bit, and he probably wasn't feeling good.

THE BIG CHUCQUITA

What the matter TMZ is my posting to politically incorrect for you to post.

Randy

GREAT!!!!! you go Jerry! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Jerry Lewis is too old to change his ways now; expletives be damned!

That doesn't mean I'll change my ways, either. I never liked him.

Tangie

God bless Jerry Lewis. He didn't say anything about Merv G. and he didn't kick out people in wheelchairs.

observer

Where are Old Al and Jesse? LOL

THE BIG CHUCQUITA

When somebody speaks the truth TMZ is to scared to post it

Me

Oh crap, now he'll have to go to the Old Man Homophobic Muscular Dystrophy Rehab Center.

observer

Leave Jerry Lewis alone. Jews haven't tried to ruin the USA, or any other country for that matter. I don't know any lazy, slovenly, uneducated Jews who refuse to work and are on welfare, being supported by us, the taxpayers of the USA. And they are also not illegal immigrants, as millions of others are. None of the above can be said for several other groups. I fear for the USA.

M@N

That is not the f bomb the f bomb is F*%k

observer

NOTICE: I did not post # 63. I guess I stepped on someone's toes, so they used my name. Pathetic.