Jerry Lewis Drops F-Bomb During Telethon

9/4/2007 1:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comA woozy Jerry Lewis, 81, went all Isaiah Washington on his telethon last night, calling someone -- or something -- an "illiterate fag."

In the midst of a typically Lewis-ian rant in the 18th hour of his Labor Day telethon, France's favorite comedian swayed, trying to dodge the cameraman, then introduced a "family member" as "the illiterate fag," then remembered, seemingly, that he was on live TV ... stopped himself and tried to move on.

The MDA telethon raised a record $63 million for muscular dystrophy over the three-day weekend.

After scolding us for calling so early (it's not like he dropped an offensive slur or anything!), a rep for Lewis had no comment on the incident.

UPDATE: Neil Giuliano, President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), has just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Jerry Lewis' on-air use of this kind of anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable. It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way. Our nation's media have done an admirable job this year holding public figures accountable for their use of anti-gay slurs, and I hope they continue to do so with Mr. Lewis."

Giuliano told TMZ that GLAAD is reaching out to Lewis' representatives today to request a meeting with him. "We want to sit down with him," Giuliano tells us, "help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor."

Linda

I get so sick of everybody getting in an uproar over a WORD. Who cares???? If your "feelings are hurt"...get over it. Didn't your mother ever quote the rhyme to you..."sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me"? Our kids are going to be such overprotected weaklings if we keep getting all bent out of shape every time someone gets their feelings hurt and we have to make sure we use speech that takes into account everyones feelings. Toughen up.

Jerry is an honorable man who has done wonderful things in his life. All you haters......what have you done?????

MattH.

He's 81. Back in the day, you could say and do whatever you wanted. He probably forgot where he was. I don't know why they would need to meet with him, so they can get called names too?

j

Jerry don't sit down with GLAAD...don't be bullied into their agenda.

spy

D wrote:
> Being Gay is a choise and a very bad
> one. Its a sad day when our children
> grow up thinking its ok to be gay. They
> will be the downfall of life as we know it.
> Its a sick, perverted way to live and think.

Hmm, decent trolling attempt. I will give you a C-. I might increase your grade if you actually get some bites.

ivegoneblindfromwatchingthiscrap

Yippie skippie, I found my new phrase of the day.

Kind of funny, specially when he caught himself, DOH!

Disclaimer: before GLAAD issues a statement for my statement on phrase for the day, I would like to disclose I have gay friends, and all of them know how to read Harry Potter.

ty

I wrote a very nice comment...but somehow it just didn't get posted....do these messages get lost in transition or are they removed?

Oh My Gosh I BET U R FAT !

Who cares? I and MOST of the world does not even view homosexuals as human.

Changs_01

Is anyone else getting sick and tired of these activist groups?

Why does anyone care at all what they think? Their goal in life is to whine and moan about how life is not fair. No one likes a whiner.

Ringo Karma

Mama's right ... someone at TMZ is choosing which comments to post ...

Baltic

GREWRY LOOIS SHOODNTT MAKK FUNS OT ILEETERATES PEEPL BEEKAZ ISTS NOTYS FUNNEE!!!!!!@!

Codger

I've heard that waiters and waitresses in Las Vegas can't stand Jerry Lewis, he's so obnoxious. Where does he get off calling children with Lou Gherig's Disease, "Jerry's kids?" They are NOT "his" kids! If it wasn't for this telethon, he'd be broke. It's a disgrace!

Honestman

All of the 'Heterophobes' should chill. Those politically motivated and publically funded idiots with a cause should stand down. Nobody should meet and sit down with anybody over a silly little gaff such as is being alleged. Go chase someone else, like homosexual child molesters, rapists, and miscreants, and leave the good people like Jerry Lewis ALONE!

Ham

When the Paris Hilton video with her n-word surfaced earlier this year this wasn't newsworthy for tmz (they even deleted the news after a couple of hours) - leave good ol' Jerry alone !

Robert Christian

Mr.Lewis needs to not say things like that any more. Our scociety has enough haters, people that have nothing better to do than to hate.
My view of MR. Lewis has not changed, but making fun of people who can not read, or those who are gay, isnt passing anymore.
In the day, people would blame Black men and women for thier skin color, race, rage, hate.
Now, we must stop this and make our voices clear as the American public, its time for change.

Joyce Fisher

Give the guy a break. Enough of this PC crap. Free speech you jack asses.