PETA Gives Whoopi a Whuppin'!

9/5/2007 11:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Whoopi is the new Rosie on "The View," in more ways than one! Day one, and she's already pissed off a whole lotta people, including animal rights group PETA. Goldberg defended Michael Vick by saying there are things that are "indicative to certain parts of our country," ... meaning the South.
PETA and Whoopi Goldberg
PETA President Ingrid Newkirk fired off an email to Whoopi that very politely said just how ignorant Whoopi's statement was. "I think a lot of people who live and work in the South -- as PETA does -- will not appreciate the "view" that cruelty to dogs is an accepted Southern pastime. Those who fight dogs do so in New York, Chicago, and even the Republic of The View -- click to launchIreland, and what unites them is lawlessness and callousness, not whether they eat grits or Belgian waffles for breakfast." Newkirk went on to say that "animals are as vulnerable to abuse as children are, and they need your voice more than Vick does right now." Whoops!

UPDATE: On today's "View" Whoopi said she was "not condoning" Vick's actions. It sure sounded as though she was making excuses for them.

barb

They stick together like a fly on s*it. Already I don't want to turn on The View

BLINKING !!

Celebrities accused of murder and driving while intoxicated car Racing in Public street endangering lives day in and out-- offenses which threatened human lives -- got less condemnation than Vick.
But in America you kill dogs. and they want to HANG you.
What is happening AMERICA ??

bethany

I just can't belive Whoopi said this.

"Culture" is used as an excuse for CRIME by CRIMINALS!!

mustang sally

Give me a brake Whoopi and the rest of you idiots defending Vick!! If Pete Rose can be kicked out of the Hall of Fame and banned from baseball for gambling...Vick deserves no less punishment. In my opinion what Vick did was FAR worse!

Emily S

I am from the south and I will say that neither myself nor anyone that I have ever know has participated in such a horrible "sport", if you can even call it that. Hell, slavery was "indicative to certain parts of the country" (ie: the south) so does that make it okay too? Ask her that and see what her response is. If Vick was a white man this wouldnt even be an issue.

Tee-Momma

WHOOPI IS RIGHT .......I AM FROM THE SOUTH AND THERE IS ALOT OF DOG FIGHTING HERE ....BUT AS FOR PETA THEY ALSO DO THEIR SHARE I BELIEVE IT WAS 2 YEARS BACK IN NORTH CAROLINA WHEN 2 PETA WORKERS GOT IN TROUBLE FOR THROWING A DOZEN DEAD DOGS IN A DUMPSTER ........NOW WHO IS RIGHT PETA OR MIKE ........OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER IS VIRGINIA PILOT ...LOOK IT UP

Julia

WHOOPI AIN'T NOTHING BUT A FVVCKING RACIST.

ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

RJII

whoops, whoopi.

dog fighting occurs in the west, midwest and up north too.

vick is just a shameful animal abuser and killer-- pt blank. he also broke the law and should be punished. some of these overpaid actors and athletes are uneducated and just plain ignorant.

justasec

TMZ; you might want to consider improving your journalism by writing stories that have a balanced perspective. Sorry, my bad....then you wouldn't exist, would you. Suggest you and PETA find a way to justify using animals on people on drug busts. I mean isn't it overkill when guns are readily available?

peggy labrozzi

I believe we are seeing the old reverse discrimination at work. If the dog killer had been white she would not be making excuses. I will no longer watch the view. She is as yuck as Rosie.

Claire

#14 - Eventhough I feel that watching anything Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan is torture, I don't think you can possibly look at it the same way.

#2 - In the South you are not "raised" to fight dogs. It has always been considered totally unacceptable - it is illegal.

Claire

#20 - Thank you for saying what I was thinking!

He's just another Idiot

I think Whoopie is a man. No self respecting woman would look like a trash bag all the time. She's probably bald and that's why "she" wears that old matted ugly wig. I watched The View for a minute this morning to see what the ignorant moron would say. Sounds like she was still defending Vick and senile Barbara was defending her. I had to turn it off fast because it was so dumb. I will tune in Monday to see who the new member will be. If it's another looney liberal, that's all she wrote. That will be the end of The View. Doesn't ABC know that the vast majority of listeners are white? We don't like stupid black people - or stupid white people.

BLINKING !!

Why arent all of you on the streets SCREAMING about all our MURDERED n RAPED n HOMELESS.
Instead you SCREAMING about pit bulls Dogs you wouldnt even have as PETS. PLEASE stop acting so IGNORANT. you all sound so stupid caring on about Pitbulls. Vick whats his name is an idiot. but I'm not going to get all crazy like alot of you idiots here. There are better things to get crazy over and Pitbulls are not on my LIST.
There's a Kid who was CONSTANTLY racing his car up n down the streets of FLORIDA right already has 4 tickets for EXCESSIVE speeding and he only 17. One day he was Racing with a passenger in his car and got into this big CRASH. The passenger is now laying in the hospital in a Coma, But the Kid who was always RACING on Public streets got away with couple scratches. Still no one screaming we want JUSTICE for a HUMAN BEING. No Police has charged the Kid for reckless driving. putting many human lives in danger. he got NOTHING. Pat on the back. stern warning becareful Kid you could get really HURT. nevermind RACING is ilegal.
Pitbulls are more important

bleh

Aren't Americans smart enough to be discerning when listening to people speak? Ms. Goldberg was not defending Vick -- she's a known animal lover. She was stating a fact -- that SOME people in the South consider dogfighting a normal thing. Doesn't make it right, and she never said that Michael Vick or dogfighting were positive in any way. And of course there are millions of Southerners who don't approve of dogfighting, just as millions of folks in Utah don't support polygamy even though having multiple wives IS a part of Mormon culture. It isn't practiced by MOST modern-day Mormons, just as dogfighting isn't practiced by MOST modern-day Southerners. Doesn't change the fact that it was part of the culture there (and, as a previous poster - one of the few intelligent, thinking ones - note, in other areas of the US and the globe). Get brains, people. (And thanks to the intelligent posters for offering a wee bit of light to pierce the darkness that can be found in the collective IQ-challenged US.