Pavarotti's Final Curtain Call

9/8/2007 11:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

World-renowned opera singer Luciano Pavarotti was large in life -- and his funeral, in his home town of Modena, Italy, was equally grand.

luciano pavaratti
The singer, who died Thursday at the age of 71 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer, is a mega-star in the opera universe. His private invitation-only funeral, held in Modena's main cathedral, was attended by fellow opera stars Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras, as well as U2's Bono and a slew of Italian dignitaries.

The funeral was broadcast in Modena's main piazza and watched by thousands of mourners as Pavarotti's vocal performances were played over the city's loud speakers. Luciano set a world record for the most curtain calls -- 165.

Ciao bello!

billyboy

May he rest in peace, he was a great entertainor and world citizen.

Butterfly

Pavarotti had a gift that transcended generations and genres. He will certainly be missed.

Tangie

Yes he was great, but....why would someone not tell him that dye job on his entire head (beard, brows and toupee) was hideous?

AZ MOMMY

I'm sure he's making beautiful music in the Heavens. RIP, Luciano. You are now out of pain and well again.

Cindylou

HOW CLASSY ... SNIDE PERSONAL ATTACKS BEFORE THE MAN IS EVEN BURIED. HIS TALENT WAS MONUMENTAL AND THE WORLD WILL REMEMBER AND TREASURE HIS GLORIOUS RECORDS FOR YEARS TO COME.

WHAT TALENT HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED?

jean steimle

was an opera lover all my life he was a great artist but in my book coul not touch Franco Corelli as well as De Stephano but thats only my opinion

a.

Finally..... a tasteful RIP from TMZ! I knew you guys could do it.

renee

It's really sad that as great a entertainer he was, someone would talk about his HAIR DYE JOB! We live in a time where some people have nothing better to say but to be little someone. He was not a saint, just a man with a GREAT TALENT! And I know when he gets to the Gates, GOD will not judge him on his hair! He will be judged on the GOOD or BAD he has done in his life! What will your report card look like?

show me the $$

I don't really care for opera, but any time I saw him on tv, I had to stop and listen. I cried every time I heard this man sing. He could touch your soul with his voice. He will be greatly missed. Rest in Peace, Luciano

LMFAO

The opera world will be a sadder place without him, no the whole world will be. Nothing could match the shear joy that me and my familly had when we heard the unique timbre that was his amazing voice.

He will be dearly missed by many all around the world, Rest in peace Luciano Pavarotti.

trish

A GREAT VOICE HAS BEEN SILENCTED

Hal

God rest his soul. HIs voice was a gift from God that was shared with the world.

Tangie

Really bad dye job.

Tangie

Who really gives a crap about opera?! Who is this bonehead?!

Hal

You people making snide remarks about dye jobs will be paid back 10 fold through Karma--don't forget that! May the pay backs be painful.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments