Britney Tried to Give "More," Audience Wanted Less

9/10/2007 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comBritney Spears aimed to bring the house down when she opened the MTV Video Music Awards, but instead she just looked like a house. A little too early for the skimpy outfits, perhaps?

The former Mrs. Federline sleep-walked her way through a critical performance of her new single, "Gimme More," and camera pans to stars like Rihanna, 50 Cent and Diddy showed the crowd wasn't really feeling it. Britney herself didn't look too enthused by the ordeal ... even seeming to forget the lyrics to her own song!

And where was the much-hyped collaboration with Criss Angel? Apparently, that was a disappearing act.

Um, Brit? Your career called ...

KMM

That was really, really bad considering she's such a seasoned performer. If you aren't going to really sing, then at least dance your ass off! She did neither.

MONICA

She looked REALLY uncomfortable!!!! It hurt to watch her..... her career is over, R.I.P Britney Spears 09/09/07.

xymom

WOW! She sucked even more than I thought. I thought she was acting bored or nervous on purpose......guess not! SAD!!!

key

She just looked lost.

meager

I think she looked pretty good body wise, but her face said she wanted to be else where andy any where. I think she did the show because of pressure to prove she's still matters.

Lauren

What was up with the weave?? She kept grabbing it like she was afraid it was going to fall off. Her manager de jour should be fired for letting her get up there.

rafkahn316

I just feel awful for her...it's hard as hell I guess to feel comfortable doing a show like that after all these years...she probably should have waited awhile before doing an award show...NO amount of rehearsing in front of an empty arena could prepare her for that.

Jess

She was horrible! I'm a Brittney supporter, but she had no business being on that stage!

Lola

POOR BRITNEY, LOLAANDROCKY.COM STILL LOVE YOU!

Kevin Federline

I'm still in shock....what happened? Who was that and what did she do with Britney. Two words.....slim fast! or two other words Jenny Craig....or finally two final words...weight watchers.....

Kitty

What a joke !

PJ

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Well, I for one am not surprised. SHE STUNK!! Ya can't party like
that, ignore your kids, stay our all night and then try to give the
performance of a lifetime in front of your peers... She is TRASH!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Producer

Horrible : Horrible : Horrible! She looked like she was going through the motions at a dress rehearsal!

TP

Britney - As one of your most loyal and hopeful fans that was hoping.... I am shocked and embarassed for you. I feel sick and I can't even watch the rest of the show....... It's like someone I know has died......................

Malteselover

She did not seem to be there.