Britney Tried to Give "More," Audience Wanted Less

9/10/2007 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comBritney Spears aimed to bring the house down when she opened the MTV Video Music Awards, but instead she just looked like a house. A little too early for the skimpy outfits, perhaps?

The former Mrs. Federline sleep-walked her way through a critical performance of her new single, "Gimme More," and camera pans to stars like Rihanna, 50 Cent and Diddy showed the crowd wasn't really feeling it. Britney herself didn't look too enthused by the ordeal ... even seeming to forget the lyrics to her own song!

And where was the much-hyped collaboration with Criss Angel? Apparently, that was a disappearing act.

Um, Brit? Your career called ...

cattnack

Trainwreck!

RICKHUNTER27

You would think more thought would have been put into her "comeback." She was obviously lipsynching (some of the time) and looking bored to be there! She's had 2 kids so we can't expect her to be a stringbean, but did she have to wear THAT outfit? Unfortunate.

gimme a break!!!

I was disappointed by Britney's performance, but as I watch more of the show, I think the whole show SUCKS!!!!! It looks poorly rehearsed, I know it is supposed to be live and everything, but this is an AWARDS show where I want to see performances like in the past (Madonna/Christina/Britney; Diddy; JT; Beyonce; etc.) these little "side shows" are ridiculous. THe VMAs are where you see amazing collaborations, not the crap they're showing. And if you wanna talk about lip synching, I'm watching it right now and Chris Brown is lipsynching. Don't shoot Brit for lip synching, this is the VMAs people, we want to watch a show, not hear the quality of the singing voice, b/c lets get serious, all these people need the help of the studio.

TJ

She looked hot?? You must be blind!! She was way too heavy for such skimpy clothes. She tries too hard to appear sexy and it just doesn't work. Less is more..subtle is much more seductive. Her "dancing" was pathetic as were her greasy looking hair extensions. That woman needs to stay home with her kids and concentrate on being a good mother. Her days as an "entertainer" are clearly over.

MONICA

Britney if your reading this GET HELP, CLEAN UP YOUR ACT AND THEN TRY FOR A COME BACK.

patricia

I know I'm going to be condemned for saying this but........I feel bad for this girl. Didn't she look like she was wobbly on the stage? Was it her 5 inch heel boots or was it something else? The hair looked awful, but her face and makeup looked good. And don't even get me started on the outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't someone tell her to wear something that fit her post baby body? It's a blessing to have children and she's blessed in that way but unless you take very good care of yourself - you can't be dancing around in skimpy clothes unless you are seriously dieting and exercising! Please...........something is wrong with this poor girl. I hope she gets the help she needs - soon.

Sindy

Mother of god! She just made Tanya Harding look sexy and talented by comparison!

Candy Cane

You just knew it was going to be bad when the 1st thing you see is a bad looking wig.

Hannah

wow its sooo sad that shes 25 and her career is already over. She didnt even try and she looked like she was on something. She needs help

geezlouise

Sad...she looked self concious and uncomfortable. And then the whole room seemed uncomfortable after Amy Silverman got up there and dissed Britney AND her kids. The whole VMA's are bombing, not just Britney.

Sushi

Thank you Chris Brown for saving the show from being a complete disaster so far.

christine

I knew she was going to do bad. I'm not suprised. That was one of the worst performances, if not the worst performance EVER. I am convinced she's on drugs.

BLINKING !!

In all fairness. So look so nervous. But for what she has gone thru I give her PROPS. she got up there and Said. I not done. (got some practice) But i'm not gone. GO MAMI. u keep going. dont let the haters get to you.!!!!!!

Christy

She seemed to not be into it at all. NONE. pitiful, go home, Britney, go help your boys.

Ugghhh!

Ooooooh my that was TERRIBLE. Something is very very wrong with Britney Spears.

Her mental illness needs immediate treatment. And she needs treatment for her addictions too.

She can't dance or sing!