Britney Tried to Give "More," Audience Wanted Less

9/10/2007 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comBritney Spears aimed to bring the house down when she opened the MTV Video Music Awards, but instead she just looked like a house. A little too early for the skimpy outfits, perhaps?

The former Mrs. Federline sleep-walked her way through a critical performance of her new single, "Gimme More," and camera pans to stars like Rihanna, 50 Cent and Diddy showed the crowd wasn't really feeling it. Britney herself didn't look too enthused by the ordeal ... even seeming to forget the lyrics to her own song!

And where was the much-hyped collaboration with Criss Angel? Apparently, that was a disappearing act.

Um, Brit? Your career called ...

JennyJugs

I am embarassed for her. It was like watching a car accident in slow motion. I was cringing.

juan locdog

She didnt take this performance serious at all. She was seen partying all weekend, she cant stop partying. She should have been working out and getting flexible again because my father has more rhythm. She needed help walking around the stage. She should move to England.

Jen Bromley

What a disappointment. i mean, i wasn't totally shocked; however - I think all of America was pulling towards her comeback. Even other celebs. Clearly, there will be no Britney comeback. So, so sad. =[

Tigger

I felt so sorry for her...she was awful, and I was rooting for her. I really hoped that she would have proven everyone wrong and rocked. She is or should I say was such a great performer that girl could dance her ass off. She didnt even dance tonight and come on at least she used to try and make look like she wasnt lip singing. She had a shot tonight at a come back and she totaly blew it. She didnt even remember the words to her own song

Sarabara

hoping she would rock the show but gave a poor performance! She didnt even perform!! Just pranced around and lip synched but gave no effort! Where is the brit we all luv!!????

jenny

I thought the performance was boring but was this about her looking like a house?? No wonder girls and woman feel that they must be fat if TMZ is saying she looked like a house when she did not look fat at all.

Ed Salmon

Train wreck. Very sad. Girl, go home. Take care of yourself and your children.

carolinagrl

It was painful to watch, she looked extremely uncomfortable.Her outfit
was way too skimpy.... she has that bloated alcohol stomach thing
going on. I know some of you are going to say she looks great
especailly after 2 kids but if that was my career (to look good), you
better believe I would not look like that ! It's not like she is busy
with her kids! What about Sarah Silverman...geesh...if she wasn't
uncomfortable perfoming..that didn't help!

oh really

it wasn't the greatest she did, but it wasn't thaat bad. she obviously has been out of the game awhile and it showed. but she is a performer and she did it... as far as her collaborating with Criss Angel, oh well, i guess that's what happens when the media runs with rumors, huh... too funny

Ethie

What's wrong with the way Britney looked? Just because she didn't look anerexic. She looked very normal, not thin, but, not heavy either. Too say she looked like a house is ridiculous!!!!
Get a life and leave her alone. She can't even live without paps all over her.
She needs to breathe like everyone else. I truly feel sorry for her.

Miss Me!!

I honestly don't think it was THAT bad. I think she was nervous. She looked good, too. She had two babies, back to back, and she's gone through a lot. People need to cut her some slack.

moon

If that was the "comeback" performance, when will there be the "going away" one? Because I think she clearly needs to pack it up and go back to Louisiana!

Gringa

Her comeback was as bad as her nasty hair. Did they forget to tell her it was a live show? I thought she was the pro at lip-synching but she messed that up too. Horrible!

shellbell

She looked beautiful but she looked so nervous and scared! Keep up the work Britney you'll do GREAT in your career! Love your CD already heard it!

Esmer

She totally sucked!!! She could of done way better. I hope MTV has a much better closing act! Britney needs work.....and I don't mean her body but her performance!!