Channing to Thief: I Want My Dress Back!

9/14/2007 12:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carol Channing is asking the man who stole her "diamond dress" that was headed for the Smithsonian to give it back. "He must be awfully hungry to do such a thing," Channing told TMZ yesterday. And she added, "They have a suspect ... I won't say his name, because we want the dress back, we don't want him. ... The Smithsonian is sad. I am not sad."

Whose gonna be sad is the suspect who the police caught on tape! Check out the photos after the jump.

The 86-year-old actress and husband Harry Kullijian checked into the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel around 12:30 PM Thursday. Their four suitcases were put into the bellman's cart and left unattended for about 20 minutes. According to LAPD detectives, a thief took the smallest piece of luggage and left on foot toward Hollywood Blvd. Inside the bag was the $150,000 dress that Channing wore as Lorelei Lee in the stage production of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

Detectives have released surveillance photos of the suspect. He is described as a male African-American, about 25 to 35 years of age, about 6'1", medium build. Police have checked with pawn shops to see if someone tried to sell the dress, but haven't found anything yet. Because of the value of the dress, this crime will be considered grand theft, which is a felony.

Occupent

Briana,
Stop talking about your mother that way!! Honestly, you should be ashamed!

George

What is wrong with you people. Give the dress back...this is an old lady!!

big ball sack

this is a message to carol i took it from OJ HAHAHA !

sk

Briana,
What's wrong, you jealous that you're life will never mean anything to anyone, that you could disappear off the planet and no one would notice? Ms. Channing is an ICON of the entertainment industry and has been (deservingly) honored as such. Get a clue, get some class and get some therapy. You're hatred stinks more than any human, dead or alive, can bear.

Dan

Briana.. did you take your meds today? That's an 86 year old lady you're talking about, that's just so tacky... you're nuts!

Aunt Godmother

Who knew this story would be so much fun?! Thanks to Mike and Steve for the good laugh I had while eating my lunch today! As for Briana, I'll pray for you!

jfsinlongbeach

Ms. Channing is a national treasure....at 86 sh'e still going strong...
let that be a lesson to us all....

KAT

DAMN THAT OJ GETS AROUND!

KAT

DAMN OJ GETS AROUND

willy

Briana... she's old and you are mean and stupid....

Diana

Steve and Mike,

Kudos to you two for showing some class on a sometimes otherwise tasteless comment board. We all know Briana has nothing better to do than comment on something that she'll never have....a life. Briana go to your room, pick up that old hooked on phonics...and use it!!!

Davidude

I like corn

Cabo

I used to like Carol Channing a hundred moons ago. But once, when I was a mere teenager living in NYC, my best friend & I walked past the theatre where Channing was starrng in a show. Being curious as we were back then, we waited along with about 2-3 very nice couples from out-of-town. We didn't want her autograph at all; they did; we just wanted to see what she was like. We were drama majors and did imitations of her.

Never, have I seen ANYONE take so long to leave the theatre. She was the last person to leave. We ended up waiting out of curiosity for an hour & a half. Carol Channing came out dressed in this LUDICROUS outfit looking something like Wonder Woman. The people who had patiently waited for her were very sweet, calm, middle-aged folks who just wanted an autograph. This b*TCH told them she just didn't have the time. She could have signed for them ALL in the time it took her to make a lame explanation.

It was at that moment, at 17, that I went from being a fan of this woman to absolutely despising her!! UGH!!

Anne

jfsinlongbeach #43........ I agree with your comment. Carol Channing is a national treasure. One of the great entertainers of all time. She is still beautiful at the age of 86.

KellyNYC #42........ A lot of years ago I also waited for Carol Channing's exit after her show. She wore a gorgeous long coral colored hooded cape. She was very sweet and kind to those of us there. We were all impressed with her interaction with us and we all became even more devoted fans of this great lady.

sk #32....... I agree with you - Ms. Channing is an ICON of the entertainment industry. It is so nice to see that a few people who post on this site is educated, informed and has class - the sort of people who can appreciate this "national treasure" and "ICON of the entertainment industry".

asscrack

i thought she was dead!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments