Carol Channing: "I'm So Grateful!"

9/15/2007 7:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but getting your diamond dress back is like being reunited with your best friend!

TMZ reported yesterday that Broadway superstar Carol Channing's prized "diamond dress" was returned to her, and now the always charming Channing is talking about the ordeal's happy ending. FOX 11 News in Los Angeles spoke with Ms. Channing last night, and she exclaimed, "I'm so glad, I'm so happy, I'm so grateful! I just have the giggles!" Being a living legend has its perks. The dress can now make its way to the Smithsonian, where it will be exhibited along with Channing's 1964 Tony for "Hello Dolly."

Ms. Channing expressed her appreciation for the LAPD and said, "They care as if we're all their family!" Carol's dress was lifted by a pedestrian outside of her hotel in Hollywood. Miss Channing, 86, is appearing tonight and Sunday at the Hollywood Bowl.

p1tey1

Hellooooo Dolly.

Wicked

Carol Channing looks absolutely fantastic for her age. Lovely woman. Contributed much to the world with her talent. I heart her.

me

what a cool old lady. I like her. Now when you say "diamond dress".....do you mean REAL diamonds?

ksgirl

That dress would be a goal to work harder on my diet!!

dr tim

She looks like JOAN RIVERS TWIN SISTER

Ladywonder

An absolutely wonderful, charming woman!

barb

I do hope she was grateful enough to help out the homeless person that gave it to her. Maybe some food or clothes.

Unique Too

Interestingly, the Hollywood Bowl management even got you to publize this weekend's concert.

Great publicity trick, just like a few years back when Liza's necklace was stolen while she was sitting in a London cab/car/limo with an open window. Wasn't she about to appear there?

Monkey Phat

She is a wonderful,classy lady. Love her!

Michele E.

You spelled thief wrong... last headline for Carol Channing. "Theif"

P-Type

Care- roll the homeless guy some cheese! Make HIM thankful for returning your dress! Be a good ol' yoda and help the guy out!!!!!

Kris Waranoski

God Bless you Carol...You are one of the great one! Glad to see you got that dress back..

Laurie

If, as TMZ has reported, a "homeless fan" returned the dress, why is Carol thanking LAPD?

AppreciativeFan

Hooray for TMZ for finally giving us REAL news about a REAL star with REAL talent!

What is this fascination with doubtful-looking young women who can't actually *do* anything? There are so many truly talented artists out there-- how about giving us a look at them, and if they make some serious money and gain a little fame after years of music or acting lessons, and bonafide hard work, more power to 'em.

It's time to realign the celebrity planets, and put the spotlight back on people who deserve it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments