Simon Cowell Saves a Life

9/26/2007 1:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

simon cowell"American Idol" judge Simon Cowell's known for quashing dreams and ruining people's lives -- not saving them! But this past week, the king of reality TV helped save one woman from a deadly disease.

During a recent audition episode of Cowell's Brit series, "The X Factor," Simon was listening to 46-year-old warbler Jacqui Gray and noticed something strange in her voice.

"It sounds as if you have someone else in there, like you were choking on something," said Cowell, who advised Gray to go to the doctor. She did, and was diagnosed with the potentially fatal lung disease, bronchiectasis.

Gray credits Cowell and co-host Sharon Osbourne with saving her life. "If I had not got it seen to, it could have killed me," she told Brit tabloid, The Mirror.

A rep for Cowell told us "Simon was genuinely concerned about her voice and is glad she sought the proper medical attention and received the necessary care. He was happy to help".

Dawn Day

He's my hero!

How come that doesn't sound right?

Jenna

He's still an ass.

Jeremy Bosco

Why is he an ass? Because he simply tells people the truth, and a lot of the time, it hurts? You know, under that rough, tells-it-like-it-is exterior that he has, Simon has a HUGE heart of gold, and he truly cares about people. That's why he is the way he is; not to be evil or a huge jerk, but to help those people start taking steps in the right direction in their lives. Like in this instance, if he hadn't commented on the strangeness in that woman's voice, she could have been dead. Too many people would've simply said, "Oh, I'm sorry. You suck. Next!," and would've been done with it. Simon, instead of being apathetic, thought to help her by telling her what he noticed, and it helped save her life. Does THAT sound like an ass of a man? Not unless you're immature and/or stupid.

kim

I LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM!!!!! He tells the truth, he is hot and most of all he loves the critters!! Gotta love a man who adores animals.

Robyn

I LOVE Simon......always always have. He is honest and speaks whats on his mind. He knows muscial talent and from all of heard of him he is one generous kind man. I'm so glad he was able to help this lady out.....what a great story!! I can't wait for American Idol to start up again.......I miss Simon!!!!!

simon_fan

They hate him because most people can't handle the truth!

Merry Christmas

Simon is on my "to do" list. I love him!!! He is a sexy, sexy man. I'm horny now!

coachs_wife

I LOVE Simon!!

He is so misunderstood by so many people. I love him and always have.

just wondering

....HE IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................SMART SMART SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donna

wow! bravo simon, good on ya mate! you know he may be brutally honest and sarcastic but deep down i think he's a nice, normal person just trying to make a buck like everyone else on the planet! Way to go simon!!

Shannon

I think Simon is absolutely wonderful. And he's a lot nicer than I am with some of those contestants....my children laugh at me during the audition phase and tell me I'm much meaner than Simon :) You keep doing what you do, Simon, and the hordes of us that love you will keep cheering you on :)

what a trip!!!

I"am a big fan for Simon .I love this man he is so funny,but he does tell the truth about these singers on Amercian Idol keep up the good work Simon I love you.

Tpichot

He's not an ass....he's honest.
You know when his girlfriend asks if she looks fat in these jeans.....he doesn't pretend like other men..... :)

Sloane

liked him from the get-go

sad but someone has to burst the bubble of the ones who can't carry a tune

their familues and friends lovingly told them they were great singers
where in reality they maybe were average or sometimes not so!

as much as I love music and dancing and have a dynamite sense of the beat
my mom used to tell me that I "couldn't carry a tune in a bucket"
and she was right!

so if their mom never told them
you can trust that Simon will!

what a trip!!!

I loveSimon he is so funny keep up with the good work you only tell the truth on American Idol I love you always your fan Ella.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments