Keith Urban Blames Paps for Motorcycle Crash

10/1/2007 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Singer Keith Urban was involved in a minor motorcycle accident Monday morning in Sydney, Australia -- and he's hopping mad at paparazzi who he says caused the smash-up!

Witnesses told the Daily Telegraph they saw Urban riding his bike near his home, when he lost control and fell off. The witnesses claim they saw a photographer following Urban on another bike.

When asked about the crash, Urban, through his rep, issued the following statement to TMZ:

"Today's incident was the result of one person's desire to do his job and my desire to maintain my privacy. Some have already attempted to inflate the facts, but the reality is this; while out riding to an AA meeting, a time when my privacy is especially important to me, I felt myself being pursued. I sped up, and in an effort to elude an oncoming car, which was making an illegal U-turn, saw no choice but to drop my bike. In actual fact, my pursuer came to my assistance, without taking photos, and helped me from the road. I returned home, got my car, and continued on my way."

djdw61

Why doesn't he get the part that it is Alcoholics ANONYMOUS?? Why does he have to make a point to tell us that is where he was going?? Why couldn't he have kept that part on the DL just a little??

Animal Lover

Glad Keith is ok, he was just minding his own business taking his bike for a ride to an appointment when an idiot made an illegal U turn in front of him. The papz was following him but did come to his aid without shooting any pics SO why does just about everyone on here have something NASTY to say?/!!! Don't you people have more important things to do than say ridiculous things...OH, like he looks like he's drooling???!! WTF YOU must be either 8 yrs old or severely mentally challenged. I've said enough, it just pisses me off how ignorant some people can be.. UGH !!!!!!!

broadway

we've got a pic of the accident at broadway-radio.com

someone

Keith Turban.
Send him to Afghanistan!

This guy just plain sucks.
'nuff said.

moremusicplease

Thankfully, he's uninjured. All the other speculation and mean-spirited comments mean nothing. Rock on, Keith!

Dottie

Lip gloss and eye shadow??? What's up with that???

cricket

I'm glad he didn't get hurt.He would be better off he would drop Kidman like he dropped his bike.

pattijen

Stop whining about your privacy, Keith. You get paid millions of dollars to be a celebrity. So suck it up, smile nice for the cameras, then you can go home to your fancy mansion and charmed life. And we all get to see the picture the photographer took of you. Stop complaining.

Ellie

Looser

diane

Once an ALCOHOLIC always an ALCOHOLIC!! If he'd divorce that giant, albino, UGLY, conceited, Tom Cruise's used leftovers, gal he married, he would not have to go to AA meetings! She has driven him to drink because she is his CZAR! He is no longer a MAN! He is her puppet!

P-Type

This guy is a weird tool like Mystery- they are probably cousins.

Emily

How is this guy whining? Far from it. Did you even bother to read his statement? He has a right to his privacy and going to his weekly AA meetings is a private thing. Not only for him, but for the other attendees. Clearly he was being pursued. Or there wouldn't have been pictures! Keith Urban is usually one of the friendliest I've seen with the paps but the Sydney paps have a reputaion for being ruthless. And it takes a damned skilled rider to be able to drop his bike without completely falling off. And he DID NOT fall off the bike.

And the photo above? It was taken in February in 10 degree weather when he was playing on the Today show in New York. Outside! At 8:00 AM. He'd been there since 5:30 AM.

Talk about gossip sites "inflating the facts".

Snapper

These reports are wrong they are generated by and reported to the newspaper by a psychotic photographer that arrived after the incident. The only people that saw me arrive, saw me arrive well after the accident and park behind Keith. The other photographer arrived after me 5 minutes later on a motorbike and had no camera out and so was standing on the other side of the road with his helmet off trying to pick up the story. Meanwhile I assisted and talked to him and told him that no one is chasing him to AA or anywhere. For the main reason that no one is interested! Least of all us.

KeithUrbanLover

oh my gosh. i love keith urban with all my heart. I love his music, him, and how he is working so hard to become a better person! && for all of you who think he is still a drunk, and is stupid then just shut up. he's amazing and most of all very very hott :]
i love you keith!!!

Leela

I've always wondered what the beautiful talented Nicole Kidman sees in this guy. He needs a haircut, needs to stop abusing drugs and alcohol and making excuses. Convenient isn't it that he claims to have been on his way to an AA meeting? It's nice that he says the photographer came to his rescue instead of snapping pictures, poor guy will probably lose his job for being a decent human being if that's true. There's no excuse for being careless on a bike though and blaming someone else. That's total crap. Oh and would people just please stop whining about understanding the "disease" of alcoholism? Substance abuse is a choice, not an illness.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments