Vick

Scores with PETA

10/2/2007 4:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1002_michael_vick_getty-1PETA announced today that Michael Vick, the embattled Atlanta Falcons quarterback who plead guilty to dog fighting charges, completed an eight-hour class in empathy and animal protection. A little late, no?

Vick took the course at PETA's Norfolk, Virginia headquarters on September 18, was given home study materials, and came back a third time to take a test. PETA is asking the NFL to make empathy training mandatory for all players.

If you would like to repair your public image following an embarrassing federal trial, you can find all the materials at PETA.org.

SCgirl100

I have been a PETA supporter for years. So I was shocked beyond belief that PETA is helping Michael Vick in his quest to get a lighter sentence and favorable publicity.
By putting out this 'empathy course' publicity, PETA is helping Vick to get a lighter sentence (I'm sure PETA will send this info about MV passing the empathy test to the Judge.) In turn, Vick is helping PETA get a lot of free publicity (and donations.)
PETA is way out of line and completely unrealistic asking the NFL to make all players take their course. This is just a cheap publicity stunt for PETA...it has nothing whatsoever to do with helping pit bulls or affecting animal fighting. In fact, with PETA helping Vick get good publicity at this crucial point, PETA is, in effect, supporting Vick's terrible mistreatment of dogs and helping to deminish his crime in the eyes of the public.
For a long time I have been sad to see the media and much of the public discredit PETA saying they were only after the money. This stunt has opened my eyes. I now believe PETA has helped MV in exchange for the publicity and donations they will get.
I don't think I will ever be able to support PETA again and I just hope everyone else will see the 'MV takes PETA empathy course' stunt for what it is...a publicity grabber for PETA in exchange for a way for Vick to influence the judge and public that he deserves a lighter sentence.
Oh, and btw, if they were so interested in helping dogfighters in general to 'see the light' and change their ways, did PETA make this same offer to Vick's co-conspirators and other no-name dogfightrs? Or was it just to Vick who had the ability to bring them some publicity?

Bernadette

I AM VERY SURPRISED AT PETA...WHAT DOES THIS MEAN THAT THEY FORGIVE MIKE VICK? HOW MUCH DID HE GIVE THEM FOR THIS FORGIVENESS THING. WHAT HE DID WAS THE WORST CASE OF ANIMAL ABUSE EVER....I DON'T THINK I WILL DONATE TO PETA ANYMORE SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY WERE IN A WAY BOUGHT OFF...WHEN SOMEONE CAN DO THIS TO A POOR ANIMAL DO YOU THINK IT WAS THE FIRST TIME? THIS WAS GOING ON FOR YEARS. CAN YOU EVEN THINK OF HOW HE WATCHED THOSE DOGS FOR YEARS AND STILL WOULD BE IF HE DIDN'T GET CAUGHT. MY GOD MONEY DOES TALK........I THOUGHT PETA WAS THE VOICE FOR THE POOR ABUSED ANIMALS BUY NOW I SEE DIFFERENT....SAD...REMEMBER DOG SPELLED BACKWARDS IS GOD.

regina

I normally dont add anything to these sites but I am so tired of hearing about this. I wish people would get this upset about the loss of human life. As far as I am concerned there are so many worse things he could have done. Also Peta is a joke, did you happen to see the story of the stolen bunny from the preschool class? Way too far. FREAKS! AND most importantly I am not a football or Va. Tech fan so this does not cloud my judgement of Vick.

www.sugar-shoes.co.uk

What a joke

cpreaux70

check the numbers yourself, PETA kills more animals every year than any other organzation/person/athlete in the world. ...hypocrits.

kim

He has NOT redeemed himself. That is impossible. What he CAN do is use his knowledge of underground disgusting goings-on and help bust up other organizations. At this point thats all he's good for. And PETA is good. Extreme but good.

Kelly Dog

Socicopathic people don't change they just learn how to mannipulate people and the system the more they learn the more dangerous they become. NFL needs to hear the people who pay the bill. "Our dogs are our family, our dogs are unconditional love and it is our job to protect them.

Dirac

Funny for PETA to lecture him...let us see. Vick killed 8 dogs...since 1998 PETA has killed 14,400. Maybe the lecture was on the best methods? Please, stop supporting a group that has known monetary ties to domestic terrorists. To say they are a joke would be kind...they are evil.

webby

Fine, fine. Just fantastic. training for ALL players? If that isnt' the most ridiculous thing I've ever comtemplated! So, ALL NFL players are animal killers??? Peta is a terrorist organization. Certified nutjobs.

kissmyasp

It's a farce. Vick could care less about PETA or the "course" he took. He's trying to redeem himself in the eyes of the public. Just like when he said he'd found "Jesus". Yeah right. Then a few days later fails a drug test. Musta found "Jesus" in the marijuana. What a jerk.

Kelly Dog

PETA is a joke and an insult to intelegence.

LMAO @ you a$$hats

LOL, yeah the NFL is gonna require all players to take that class. Morons!

Did Vick have the munchies?

YouToldHarpoToBeatMe

This kinda reminds me of the Color Purple. When Oprah's character Sophia punched the white mayor in the face and she had to be his wife's "servant" after she got out of jail....I don't know why, but it's the first thing I though of when I read this....

John Denver Rules

TMZ Why remove so many posts?? Is it because they dont't agree with you. Bunch of libral bastards!

kissmyasp

It's a good thing we know where Jesus hangs out. Seems he can always be "found" in some prison or jail somewhere. ;-)