Prosecutor in Kiefer Case -- A Slammer Jammer

10/9/2007 8:16 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained the sentencing recommendations in the Kiefer Sutherland DUI case.

The sentence is complicated, but Kiefer will do 48 days in custody.

Kiefer will do 18 days for the probation violation, surrendering December 21. He will serve an additional 30 days for the current DUI and must complete that sentence by July 1.

Based on what TMZ knows about production schedules, that would mean Kiefer is serving the bulk of his sentence when "24" is on Christmas holiday and not in production -- he may have agreed to the speedy disposition of the case in order to protect the show from having to shut down production.

Kiefer's lawyer, Blair Berk, would not comment on the case.

UPDATE: A rep for Twentieth Century Fox and the FOX Broadcasting Group issued this statement: "Today our friend Kiefer Sutherland resolved his criminal case at the earliest opportunity. Kiefer made clear to us at the time of his arrest that his first concern was the welfare of those he worked with and that he intended to do whatever was necessary to prevent shutting down the show because of his situation. He told us that even if he had to sacrifice more time in custody in order to protect the show and the jobs of those who work with him, he would do so. From what occurred today, it is evident he is a man of his word. We wish him well and look forward to a long relationship with him."

Myrick6

Its time Mr. Sutherland does some real hard work on his alcohol addiction.

He's an alcoholic. He needs to come to terms with that & quit drinking. Now, before he hurts himself or kills someone. If he's concerned wtih those he works with, he needs to give strong consideration to the family he might destroy if he did kill someone while he's drunk. I wish him well.

LMY

Gee, if he were "a man of his word", there wouldn't be yet another DUI! His major concern should not be a television show, but the others he endangers everytime he drive a car under the influence. I am not sure who is more delusional: Keifer, Hollywierd, the media that prints this garbage or the people who swallow it hook line and stinker.

DAVID

AT LEAST HE DID THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT HE WORKED WITH AND SHOWED THEM ENOUGH RESPECT SOAS NOT TO PUT THEIR JOBS IN JEPORADY BECAUSE OF HIS MISTAKES.

savgbeast

18 + 30 = a "complicated" sentence?
Who's more 'tarded, TMZ editors or we who look at this site?

Geo

oh please - he's a 24/7 drunk. he'll be back before the court before this is over..LMAO

Vicperdido

I love Kiefer and I love "24", But it really sucks the way celebs. get away with crap. If the average Joe Blow were to do what he did would he only get 18 days, or more importantly would he be able to pick the time that was most convenient for him to do his time. "Oh no judge thats not a convenient time to go to jail, how about in the slow time of the year say around......." Yea right. Since when does a convicted felon get to pick when they can do their time.

JM

Well, with regards to the show itself, it's sucks! Keifer, and I do like him, but his acting abilities are null and void. Every scene and I mean EVERY scene he walks in with his gun drawn. It's absolutely ridiculous! Doesn't take much ability in his role to do that and quite possibly the reason why he gave the producers of that show anything they wanted because he ain't going to get a better gig than that and that pays him so much.

squatmunkie

I LOVE 24 and i dont think he ought to go to jail for sooooo long! Thats not fair!!!! Other celebrites get away with doing much worst! Plus whys he have to be in jail on Christmas!?? Unless he's jewish thats not fair!

m*sat

I hope Kiefer quits drinking. It has been a persistent problem with him for years and has nearly ruined his career a few times over. He is a talented guy and he is very lucky he only got 48 hours. Don't ruin this chance to get help, Kiefer!! Quit drinking now!!

Holly

I love the show 24, and I look forward to it every season. But, I guess we are supposed to now believe that Keifer is a stand-up guy based upon the statement released by the 20th Century Fox rep. I think that if Keifer REALLY cared about preserving the jobs of the people he works with, he would do whatever it takes not to drink and drive in the first place. He put himself, his "friends" on the show, the network, and the people at 20th century fox all in jeopardy - not to mention all of the other drivers on the road while he was driving under the influence. I think his actions were extraordinarily selfish, and he is not being very accountable. But, he sure is trying to act like he is; and that makes this whole thing even more pathetic.

TUNDRA

At least he got SOME jail time & WILL serve it. I agree w/CA law is a joke. I have never seen such short & ridiculous "sentences" as I've seen with celebrities lately. Maybe they figure if you live in CA then you must be a "celebrity" so that it looks as if they treat everyone the same. GAWD jus look at the gang violence in cities like LA!! They didn't ALL "just do it one time". Sad. I must say though, in this case, dude took it like a man (even though it was just another slap on the hand)...didn't screw his friends/co-workers. Didn't whine or beg for "leniency", but then, who has to? It's already as lenient as it gets out there.

Larry

Jack Bauer will escape from Jail in no time...with a little help from Chloe

Tina

Keifer is a drunk, always has been, always will. What is so important about his tv show? Shouldnt he more worried about getting sober? As far as his jail time goes, he should do at least 6 months with the general population. Why do these stupid "stars" get special treatment? Let them do some hard time and I guarantee you, they will sober up.

walt

If you or I were convicted of a DUI or were caught violating probation, would the courts allow us to arrange our sentencing around our work schedule? I think not.

faye

He DIDNT dump Julia Roberts, She dumped him, lame! OLD news. what decade are you in?