Mare Winningham: Jewgrass Darling

10/11/2007 5:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Best known for the '80s film "St. Elmo's Fire," Mare Winningham has gone from Brat Pack to Glatt pack! Winningham has combined her love of country/bluegrass music and her enthusiasm for Judaism to form a new sound known as -- Jewgrass! Oy vey, y'all!
Mare Winningham
The 48-year-old former shiksa was raised Catholic, and converted to Judaism five years ago. L'chaim! Earlier this year, Mare released an album of country/bluegrass/Jewish/folk songs entitled "Refuge Rock Sublime," which includes the tracks, "What Would David Do," "A Convert Jig" and the Israeli National Anthem,"Hatikva." Kenahorrah!

Mare brings her biblical twangs to L.A. tonight at Genghis Cohen, a Chinese restaurant/performance space in Hollywood. She now knows where to find good Chinese food.

Cate

She used to live in a town near Reno, NV and I saw her perform her music at a local bar. She was very good.

jackschitt

Don't you think if it was photoshoped they would have done something better with that scary face? Should have saved this one for the 31st!

Kat

She looks fine to me, but Holly Golightly looks better.

MOM

what the hell's with her hair ???????????? EEWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hmmmmmm

Wow....she's still as ugly as she was in St Elmo's Fire....TMZ, get this ugly skank's pic off the first page...put her somewhere at the end....yuk!!

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

I can't wait to hear it. I liked "What Might Be" (her first album) very much.

La La

Mare has been and still is one of my favorite actresses, but that hair-do has to go!

King Richard aka "Dick"

she was great as meggie's (Rachel Ward) daughter justine in The Thorn Birds--circa 1983.....mmmmm, a hot young, still in the closet, handsome as sin, no pun intended, Richard Chamberlain---Father Ralph baby, oh yea. Gay or not, that man was hott as hell.

jemainelover

All you people that say bad things about Mare obviously don't know her. She is one of the most sweet and genuine people that you will ever meet. Her acting and singing will uplift you, and who cares about that oops hair-do. It ROCKS!!

San Diego Gene

There's nothing wrong with going Jewish. It's much harder than going Christian, since Judaism is not a missionary religion. Takes a real commitment. Because of that, we treat our converts in a higher regard than somebody who was born into Judaism. All she's doing is going back to the original source of spirituality. Judaism, the oldest religion out of the three. Listened to the album. Not a big fan, but the last song on it "Hatikvah" which is the Israeli National Anthem is a beautiful in its own right, but she did a great job with it, and is worth hearing. I also noticed that she learned Hebrew. Huge props on that.

gettheboysawayfromher

No. 6 that is so funny what you said
No. 14 I didn't know her son commited suicide, how sad, suicide comes from within, no person is responsible for another person commiting suicide
She was known for a lot more good flicks, she is a excellent actress but I always thought she should have had a nose job.

wtff?

She's a great actress. Wish she would do some movies......Miss her!

geeewhiz

Jewgrass, perfect!!!!

geeewhiz

Jews use Shiksa all the time to demean gentiles (females). I agree that is it very rude and know if I used a slang word for Jew.....I would be cut off from posting.

Wasabi Pea

Fugly hair OR fugly face - - I can't decide.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3