Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

SHANNON

i have personally adopted a wonderful dog from this same agency. my experience was nothing but positive and my dog has been a wonderful addition to my home. this agency happens to be quite protective and very cautious when it comes to finding a home for all of their dogs, as ALL agencies should be! why would this case be any different than any other adoption? because it's ELLEN DEGENERIS?????? i think not! the bottom line is the dog's care and welfare. the contract was broken and is being handled as would any other case. all agencies should be so caring!!!

Merry Christmas

So, the dog would be better off dead than have a family adopt him? The agency just wants more money. They don't care about the dog either. Ellen will probably have to readopt the dog for the family. Basically, paying for the dog twice.

californiadreamer

WTF??? That isthe most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That adoption worker should be fired! How can she have so little heart and intelligence? It's not hard to see that Ellen simply made a mistake, but with very good intentions. The point is that the dog found its way to a loving home, which should bethe goal of this so-called "adoption agency". This lady obviously has an authority complex...maybe she's mad that her badge isn't big enough and she doesn't have a cool enough uniform.

I'd like to write a letter to her employer...I can't stand power trippers like this!

Brendolyn

Seriously, these people have nothing better to do with their time than take a dog away from a happy home with a loving family and break a child's heart in the process? Pathetic. Ellen's got enough star power to bring an immediate halt to this nonsense and I hope she does.

It doesn't matter

How do ANY of you know what kind of pet owner Ellen is? Just because she's a celebrity means she's a good dog owner? Maybe she should have taken her adopted dog for behavior training first? Maybe she should have called Mutts and Moms and asked their advice BEFORE BREAKING a CONTRACT and giving the dog away! Maybe Ellen should have even BOTHERED herself to READ the CONTRACT. HELLO??????
Who said the "new" owners she gave the dog to were good pet owners? Ellen? Well, we already know she gave the dog away without much thought. When you adopt an animal, it should be for life, and not given up because it's inconvenient for you, especially after such a short time.

Mia

Miss Cinnamon, I am not what you said, I hve worked with animals and shelters for 30 years, helped innumerable domestic and wild animals, and have great friends. I also am a grownup who respects laws and rules, because I realize they protect me too. You sound very young. When you spend some time working or volunteering for the animals, come back and we'll discuss your experiences.

Ben

That's crazy; they'd rather see a dog put to sleep than in a caring home. That's the way our shelter does things, anyway. As someone stated earlier, just check out this family and let the dog stay with them. The only checking our local shelter does is that the family has a pulse, so what's the harm here?

webby

#30 Kristi - no one is saying that what you do isn't important - just that it's being taken to the extreme! wonderful that you provide such a service to help these animals, but if the dog is being cared for by a loving family, WHY should this be such a production? the dog is not in harm's way! I don't think humans are treated with the same respect as animals in this situation, which is what I think we all mean by "just dogs". It was not meant that dogs aren't important. Please calm down!

Aimee

no good deed goes unpunished...

Kimberly

I hate rescues. Around here, they adopt non-mixed breed puppies out of local shelters, leaving the shelters with Rottie and Pits and Pit mixes (good dogs, but still) and aggressive/sick animals. Then they adopt them out on their own terms. Apartment owner? Sorry! Small kids? Sorry! Wrong type of fence in your yard? Sorry! They charge exhorbitant "adoption" fees, but only once you meet their arbitrarily high adoption standards.

A similar situation arose for me back when I got my 10 year old cat. I got him from my boss, whose kids coincidentally developed "allergies" when the cat grew out of his cute kitten body and started looking like he was going to be a large cat. The rescue called and b!tched *me* out because my boss was supposed to give the cat back if he didn't want it. I told them to leave me and my cat alone.

Because of rescues and their crazy rules and the resulting lack of adoptable puppies in our local shelters I ended up buying a pup from a breeder -- something I never in a million years thought I'd do. I can't wait for the rescue backlash to happen. Maybe this'll start it.

Cheryl

First Ellen, I have always thought you're great, & now that you tried to adopt from a shelter is even better. These "shelters" that say they want whats best for the pet are full of B.S. They have gotten out of hand. Not only are you paying alot, they want you to pick out an animal that they want you to take. I have always adopted from a shelter. My 9 yr. old Blk lab I lost to cancer 5 yrs. ago & my 15 yr. old pointer/pit to old age this yr. I adopted a boarder/Kelpie 4 yrs. ago from a shelter & decided to get her a buddy. Let me tell you, I think it would of been easier to adopt a kid! After 3 shelters giving me the run around & wanting me to adopt a different dog then what i had chose, I went to a 4th the "SPCA" out of town & 150.00 later I adopted a precious 9 mth. Nor. Elkhound. But I almost gave up. I thought no wonder the shelters are over filled & they put so many needlessly down. Who cares if you found a new home, as long as the pet is loved that's all that should matter. I'm sure along w/ the girl the dog is heartbroken too. I hope she gets her pet back. Keep up the good work. Cheryl from Napa

Cartman

If she had just followed the contract as she agreed to this would not be an issue now.

You do not simply "give away" an adopted pet. My adopted dog has a chip implanted in it's ear that says he belongs to me and if nothing else you must get a new chip installed before you pawn your pet off on someone else.

Bottom line, it's about being a responsible pet owner. Douchebag celebrities shouldn't get to break the rules simply because they have "star power".

Gwen

What is allt eh fuss about? All they need to do is file an adoption application like everyon else and they can get the dog back. They have the rules in place for a reason. Not everyone who might give the dog away would give it to a loving home. That's why there are so many animals needing to be adopted!

katrina

Well we all mess up and that is that.Poor Ellen .

Marie

I say the poor 12-year old girl should get the dog back. Some people have no heart and they don't care who they hurt even if it's a child all because of some dumb rule.