Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

roxanne

Ellen should get the dog back and the policy should be revised. Ellen has the power to help the adoption agency find homes for most of the precious pets in need of a loving responsible owner. In the time the agency has wasted on this, they could have placed many more pets.

Sharon Anne

Isn't it supposed to be about the adoption/placement/love of the DOG- the poor, little creature who has been left alone in a cement cage without the comforts of a home and someone to love them? Who/what is this place-Mutts and Moms-and the people that run it like a concentration camp or don't as far as I am concerned?????

I feel so badly for Ellen, who out of the goodness of her heart, cared enough to help by adopting this precious boy; her hairdresser's family who forged a bond, loved him, and now misses him dearly; and Iggy, who is so confused he doesn't know which end is up. All of this is because of one dense, egotistical, maniacal, by-the-book written for them and follow it whenever they feel like it, die hard, crazed, non-sensical, butthead agency who feel they can rule a dog's life. Well...

Isn't it my understanding that Ellen wanted to, when she grew up, work with animals? Well, why should one agency stand in her way? M & M, I am sure, received her huge donation! Then all, or maybe some of the papers were signed. How are we to know? We only know part of the story; yet, it all boils down to one, simple detail: Iggy was shuffled from one home to another at the bequest of this shelter. It sickens me. I am an animal activist and rescuer myself. I cannot stand for or condone their actions. Rules are set but are taken into account and bent according to every situation. One looks at the dog's best interest ALWAYS. It appears Iggy would have benefited by seeing Ellen every time she saw her hairdresser! How good is that?

Mutts and Moms, in my opinion, may have set out to do what was best when they formed their agency, but really screwed up in this case, especially since it was a celebrity because it would, for all intense and purposes, gain national attention. You should have thought, M & M before you acted like an ignoramus...Sharon Anne Militello Hendersonville NC

Only swim in the Ocean

Ellen is taking heat in the media and this is why:

According to shock jock Howard Stern...who's girlfriend, BTW, is a member of the animal rescue community, Ellen, according to his sources, may have adopted and returned up to 9 dogs in recent years. Stern, an animal rights advocate himself...helped his girlfriend Beth rescue many unwanted animals in New Orleans, in the days, weeks and months after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area--so he has some major credentials in regard to assisting in the rescue of animals, and knows from when is speaking, hence the reason why he has weighed in on the Ellen issue.

Further, Inside Edition ran photos of Ellen and her girlfriend--pictured on separate occasions with at least 3 dogs...and they questioned whether Ellen and her lover still have possession of these dogs. Also, if I recall correctly, The New York Post has also been investigating Ellen with similar disturbing results!!!

Making matters worse...it turns out that Ellen and her girlfriend adopted a dog from the animal adoption agency which they are now battling with, just weeks before Iggy...and quickly returned him claiming that he did not get along with their cats. Immediately, the couple then adopted Iggy from the same agency...but after a month, they decided that their cats weren't getting along with Iggy either and quickly got rid of him too.

With that stunning information being the case, Ellen is clearly a problematic animal owner and should not be allowed to adopt an animal, especially dogs, by anyone...at anytime. This, appears to be a repeated, and abusive behavior by the talk show host and her live-in lover...one that needs to be brought to a speedy end!!! Shame on these two selfish and immature people!!! They are abusing the system and traumatizing already traumatized animals whom were rescued from horrible and abusive owners to begin with--now they have been repeatedly uprooted by Ellen and her girlfriend like disposable toothbrushes!!! These animals have become nothing more than throw away toys to them--that's all!!!

Now the real truth is coming out, with more to follow!!! Shame on you Ellen!!! No wonder why you cancelled your Friday show, so you can hide from the press!!!

Posted at 6:17AM on Oct 19th 2007 by Zip

Arne

I must concur with the general consensus. I find the actions of the shelter owners despicable and disgraceful! For all accounts, Miss Dengeners is a giving and loving person who gives back to humanitarian causes and animal rights causes. In summary when Miss Degeneres found she could not keep the animal, she gave the dog she owned and whom was bought and paid for to a home she felt that dog would be well cared for. In view of the fact that most children are animal lovers, I feel the dog was probably very CONTENT!!! with its new home!

The shelters owners in my view are legally impaired and wrong. Even with a contract, the right way to proceed was through legal venue not false pretences. In reality, the shelter owner went to the home that the god resided in under false pretences! She only wanted to see if the dog had a good home. I feel the owner went their to do what she was going to do, which was confiscate the dog from a home that the dog had adjusted to. I call the shelter owners actions animal abuse! A dog can become very attached to their homes and families. Dogs are pack animals and they view their owners as part of the pack. For the shelter owner to rip the dog out of the home of a loving family! Is disgusting! I also felt the shelter owner used their agreement to flex her muscles.

If the shelter owner really felt the way she did, then she should of proceed through the courts!!!!!!!!!!!! Moreover, have a judicial review on who would have the dog! I also think that the shelter owner was quite abusive in front of children!

Further, the shelter owner should have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! taken Miss Degeneres to court as that is whom she had the contract with and allow the courts to decide. I feel she didn’t' because the courts may of very well ruled in favour of Miss Degeneres.

I do hope the family takes these shelter owners to task and proceed through legal venues. As far as the shelter owners claim to threats, I believe it is another modern day new victimization taking place. If you watched her closely, the crocodile tears were astonishing and well timed! However, the child Ruby's tears were genuine!!!

I do hope Ruby regains the dog that she loves back and I do hope it is not too long, the animal at this point must be confused! Also was it convenient that the dog had a new home in 24 hours. With the shelter owner making DOUBLE THE MONEY! ON THE SALE OF THE ANIMAL!

In my view, contract or not once the owner sinks money into the animal as Miss Degeners had, the shelter owner has no more legal right to the dog, unless the owner chooses to give the dog back!!!! to the shelter!

Gail

When is TMZ going to verify the allegations on the Stern show?

Where is "Oakland" the Border Collie puppy she is pictured with in 2003?

If Ellen is an animal collector, this is a real mental illness and she should not only be in treatment, she and Portia should be on every rescue group's "do not adopt to" list!

Gail

dogpolice

I think they should let ellen dance all over vanessa before one of her shows!

The I think they should fire vanessa on her show !

Rustyboy

howard stern is an ass and lier. Perhaps zip should zipit along with asses Mutt Marina and her Free dummass lawer Keth Fink or something... Poor little Ruby may God bless her!

lilteetracyb

I hope Mutts and Moms go out of business...there are a lot of organizations out there that acually care about the well beings of their animals....this was spiteful and outrageous! I hope the donations stop and Mutts & Moms realize that good homes are hard to come by....when Ellen did what she did it was out of love....these people are disguisting and Marina you look like a Mutt.....hopefully someone will put you down!!!! Talk about being a bi*ch!

Lolo2006

Someone should look into these adopting agency so called non-profit status, how much does it cost to put home again chip in these animals? I am sure there are more generous donors to compensate those that can't afford too much donations. I hope the new owner didn't donate too much because these sound like a dog trade to me when the money is excessive. Dog repossession and readoption, sounds like a lease vehicle.

NonOfYrBs

Contract, what contract. both parties signed, the owners of mutts & moms broke the contract first by not putting the micro chip into ellens name before the dog was taken off the premisses. that makes the contract void before anyone even left with the dog. the owners of mutts and moms was the first to break the contract. when the owner of mutts and moms took it upon herself to remove the dog from this home she not only was stealing the dog, but she stole the $600.00 donation. if ellen wanted to she could have the woman arrested. why she dosent, I dont know. but for all of you non-thinking people that say ellen was wrong think again, or go to any law libary and educate yourselves.....and to the owner of mutts & moms what you did was heartless and JUST WRONG.

thomas

Ellen said the situation has got out of hand. When she made that tearful plea on her show, she didn't expect some of her crazy fans would make death threats to the resuce onwers? She is smarter than that.

marya

Hey, where are the other videos you had up of Ellen, Ruby, Iggy and the gang? Those were cool. You had 3 that I saw. Put them back up. The condensed version isn't as good.

AnimalsAren'tCoats

Wayne Pacelle of The Humane Society of the United States commented on the situation yesterday: http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2007/10/ellen-dog.html. He says Mutts & Moms threw common sense out the window.

crymeariver

I wonder how many times has other dogs or iggy been removed....should be interesting

usablack

Why is EG getting a past here. EG broke a written and agreed upon contract. EG is not the one who got calls hateful calls but her fans made hateful called. EG should now move her program to Fox News where she can be with people who try to intimidate others. She used her show, power, and influence to intimidate a person caring for many pets.

Previous 15 Comments | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments