Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

Previous 15 Comments | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59

Lisa in OK

Having a contract with the "bring the dog back" clause is all well and good, until you try to bring the dog back. Went through that a couple of times and then after being grilled and judged by the rescue nazis, I quit trying to find a dog from there. I'm sorry, if the dog doesn't fit in with my household, then I need to bring the dog back to the shelter. The rescue people can either take the dog back or I can take it to the pound where it will be put down in the next week. Instead, you try to follow the contract, bring the dog back, explain why the dog won't work for you, and they make judgemental statements, hem and haw around, then finally, an hour later, grudgingly take the dog back. I did not request a refund and I did not request another dog, But I followed the contract and got a huge hassle for it. If you want a dog, go to the city operated shelter for one. If these "no-kill" places are going to be like that, let them not kill all the animals they rescue and see where they are in a year or so when no one wants the hassle of dealing with them just to get a family pet.

Pandra

Ellen doesn't deserve a dog-any dog. She has made a habit of lying to people to get dogs, promising to give the dogs a good home with her. Directly she gets her hands on a dog, she discards it in a setting she deems suitable. As for the family, they were offered a chance to adopt Iggy, and they refused to fill out the paperwork. If Iggy was so important to them, they should have filled out the application. They refused, so I guess Iggy wasn't really that important. I'm glad Iggy found a new home and I hope Ellen and the family never see him again. My heart goes out to Mutts and Moms and if there is any justice in the world, Ellen will have to apologize publicly and pay some big time damages. They're the real heroes here and the ones who have been saving the lives of dogs for years.

Ann2

OK, all of you Ellen lovers. This has been done before, Ellen alerts the media, she is going to adopt a dog, she then goes to a shelter, has a photo shoot, takes the dog, home and then tires of him. I can think of the following dogs, who are no longer with Ellen.
Morkie, remember the designer dog, Ellen called him that. No longer with her.
Stormy, she adopted him in 2005. No longer with her.
Pitbull mix, no longer with her.
bulldog mix, no longer with her.
border collie, Ellen saw a show on them and had to have one, it lasted all of two days.
little white dog, looked like poodle mix. No longer with her.
And I only watch Ellen on very rare occasions, wonder just how many dogs she had adopted and then given away, like so much stuffed toys. Wish the National Inquirer would do a tabloid article on how many dogs adopted, Ellen tired of, gave away and the pictures.
Rescue shelters need to have signs up. No Adoption for Ellen D.

Sassy

For heavens sake give the dog back to the young gal since Ellen can't have it with her cats. At least the dog will have a good home and I think we should be more concerned about taking care of our children, the war, the economy, jobs etc.

fb

The adoption agency goes through a long process of screening out adoptive pet owners to make sure that they go to a good home and the owners are responsible. The agency had the right to know where these pets are going to. I'm sure Ellen's hairdresser would give Iggy a good home, but if this family really wanted the dog so badly, why couldn't they just have gone through the process just like everybody else.

It just makes me so mad that Ellen just acts like she is so entitled and above the rules. (Not to mention rumor has it that she's given away as many as 9 other dogs! How is it so hard to hold on to a pet that you supposedly assumed responsibility for!) I've always liked Ellen, but when I saw the clip of her begging her audience, I completely lost respect for her. Why couldn't she handle these things privately. If she's so passionate about this issue, she could have encouraged her hairdresser to follow through with the agency's rules.

And now the agency is about to shut down with all of the angered viewers swayed by Ellen. Just ridiculous!! I went through the process of adopting our dog (who was 1 year old when we adopted her and have gone through 3 other homes) and I'm so glad we went through it. It makes me so sad to think that there are other people who think this is ok.

keewee

Having adopted both cats and dogs from animal rescues agencies, I highly respect the fact that they scrutinize people who adopt animals. Ellen is no exception to the guidelines. Just because she has celebrity status, and can use the media for her silly tears and pleading act, doesn't mean she can be excluded. The dog needs placement in a home with those that are the best fit. Just imagine what would have occurred should the dog have bitten someone - then there is another whole issue that would have to be looked at. Celebrities feel that they are able to exclude themselves from rules. Resuce animals are not able to be placed in just any home - they have to go to a home that has been scrutinized. I feel that the animal society is absolutely right in upholding their rules - Ellen was wrong and she needs to grow up and face the facts.

Mia

If you are interested, go to the Smoking Gun site to see the actual emails between ED and the rescue owner. You self righteous ED defenders may feel differently after reading these communications. I still say the Rescue did the professional, responsible thing in this case.

www.sugar-shoes.co.uk

Ellen loves OJ!

ness

The dog should go back to the girl there are pets all over the world that do not have people to love them so when they find a home with people that love them let them keep them the little girl must of loved the dog to cry over it so i think they sould give it back

Veronica,Ohio

OMG...There are so many homeless,abandoned dogs and animals.Ellen invested time,love and money for training,nuetering and found the dog a good home.What else does that women want?I hope she is put out of bisiness,I feel she is only looking for publicity and she should get it....ALL BAD!

Skip

This is so sad , it makes ya want to cry. My thinking is ... the dog adoption agency knew this would get alot of publicity and ran with it. And to hell with what was good for the dog or the people envolved. As for the boneheads that made remarks about Ellen's sexuality,What in the world does that have to do with anything? I hope the young girl gets her dog back as soon as posible.

Previous 15 Comments | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59