Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

Ladybug

I run a rescue and while Ellen did not adhere to the contract once the situation was clear the agency could have simply checked out the new owners and had them execute an agreement to adopt. Was this tried and new owners refused? Maybe more to this but if this is the whole story the rep was not considerate of the final outcome. As long as the dog got a good home and the new owners agreed to simple care and treatment provisions they should have let them transfer the adoption. So sad.

Lorbee

This does not surprise me in the least...dog rescue places are getting just a little carried away with themselves--case in point: actually 2 cases in point. I know two people who would have been able to give a dog the best, most loving home ever--but they were turned down because they did NOT have a fenced in yard! We have a 13 yr. old golden we rescued from the humane society some 9 years ago--he is taken to a dog park daily, eats the most expensive food on the market and gets more daily love and affection than most humans could ever wish for...we do not have a fenced in yard--we live in a townhome. That stupid rule did not apply back then...rescuers, please put the animal in first place, not your ridiculous rules and maybe even your egos. Put the animal in the highest and best regard, please!

kbd

kristi (#30), you are (obviously) hostile & angry--but what do the problems in your workplace have to do with ellen giving her dog a home with a loving family?

Connie

I voted wrong, should have read more carefully. A contract is a contract, crying child or not. The dog should have been returned by Ellen and the family should have put in an application to adopt the dog. It's that SIMPLE. Also, keep in mind, dogs are not 'one size fits all' and the best match needs to be found...for everyones sake.

Ruby

Hi my name is Ruby and is Iggy is my dog. The adoption people said they were just coming 4 a house inspection. My parents did fill out an application. Well they lied!!!!. I am 12 just about to turn 13 and they dont want to place iggy with children. Iggy is 4 months he should be with children!!!!! I have anothere dog and they would play all the time. I ggy got at least 5 walks a day. He was taken care of very well. He was part of my family and i miss him :(

Francis

A note to those who take the adoption agency's side, on the grounds that rules must be followed: I looked at the adoption form. It requires that a person agree to make at least a $250.00 dollar, and also requires that the person sign something saying the donation is voluntary and not a purchase of the dog. This is sheer b-s, and probably constitutes a violation of agencies resuce/non-profit rules, as well as fraud. It certainly would invalidate any contract signed under that threat.

The application also suggests very strongly that people buy equipment form the woman's store. She may care for animals, but she is running a questionable business here, and making rash decisions to the harm of this dog as well.

Shame on her. I hope the authorities crack down on her.

DD

Let's all email "Moms and Mutts" and tell them to return the dog to that little girl ASAP! Their website says their email is: pawboutique@yahoo.com

Francis

Re #108 --

The family did not enter into a contract. If ellen violated a contract (it isn't clear she did) the agency has a right to sue Ellen, but not to steal the dog back form a family that never had a contract with the agency.

Meowch

Mutts and Mom should be relegated to the dog house. They really screwed the pooch.

WHORELINA IS ANOREXIC AND UGLY

To those who question Ellen's love of animals - remember her Amex commercial with all of the different animals? Very clever - E asking the raccoon if she didn't think the rimmed eyes were too much?? FUNNY.
On the Bio page of Amex's print ads where it asks the celebrity who they would most like to work with - Ellen's response was ANIMALS.
So I highly doubt she would have given the dog over to someone who was not able to love and care for it.
That shelter needs to give the dog back.

Izzy

This is why so many dogs end up being gassed at the pound. These rescue groups are insane and they are driving more and more people to just open the paper or find a site on the internet. Most people would rather spend $1000 on a puppy instead of going through all the crap these agencies want to put them through. I have a rescue chihuahua. I love her, but it would have been easier to adopt a freaking kid. Groups like this Mutts and Moms are pathetic. Their website says they don't get any assistance from the government, so I guess that'll be coming down now since they called the police to rip a puppy away from a child. There should be laws in place to protect animals from these lunatics. This all comes down to that adoption fee. If the mother is willing to pay for a dog that Ellen already paid for then she'll get it back. Whoever said Mutts and Nutts is right. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Kathie

Give the dog back to the poor kid!!!

Ellen & Portia gave them $600.00 for the dog and ya lknow what sometimes things don't work out---welcome to life!!!! They gave the dog to a loving family...to rip a little dog out of a little girls hands like that is horrid I think the ONLY thing Ellen and Portia are wrong about is using that looser agency...y'all are pissed her and Portia are good people and nothing Michael Vick!!!

CinderYella-Labrador

I think everyone should email the MuttsandMoms organization about their practices and offer to boycott them and anyone associated with them. Also, I think what they did is cruel and abusive to both the animal and the child. The cops should have gotten them for child abuse and cruetly to animals. I personally know about this dog and it is NOT one of those that nips or bites (therefore not placeable with children) and it was in a good loving home well cared for and very much loved. With enough pressure by email etc. they might consider giving the dog back. Let's go people put your efforts behind getting Ruby her dog back. TYVM

Lilarose

Most all private pet adoption agencies require the person to whom the animal was originally adopted to ask permission from the agency if any change of owner occurs. There are very good reasons for this. I am a fosterer for cats and kittens, and I have the same rule. People who get my kittens must sign an agreement with many questions and info required. They are told very specifically that if they can't keep the cat, they must return it to me. Period. Really ugly things happen to animals in some people's hands. If you were the agency, you would agree with this policy.

LI

Everyone should write to complain about this! Here is the email for the shelter that took this dog:

pawboutique@yahoo.com