Ellen's Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 1:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.
Ellen dog exclusive
Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

TMZ has video of the confrontation at the hairdresser's home, as well as interviews with Ellen, Portia and little Ruby. You can watch the full story tonight on TMZ TV.

The Britney Spears Coffee and Gas Roundup

Britney Spears: Click to watchBrit was up to her usual tiresome tricks this weekend -- you'll never guess where she went!

Ding ding dang! If you said gas stations and Starbucks with her paparazzi entourage in tow -- you've won!

TMZ caught Spears in Malibu on Friday at her favorite coffee shop, where a chef from a Country Mart restaurant shouted, "Run 'em all over!" to Brit as she rolled up. She then hightailed it to a gas station, where she decided to read "The Chronicles of Narnia" as a photog pumped her gas. I's edumacated, y'all!

Britney hot -- click to launchBrit also stopped into a salon and was blinded by flashes on her way out -- once again shouting, "So over it!" ... but later asking for someone's hand to help guide her to the car. She even proved she still can sing, giving an operatic note before driving off.

Brit's Saturday was no less paparazzi-filled, with the popwreck sending a photog into Virgin Records in Hollywood to pick up a Justin Timberlake CD while she waited in her car.

All this and more in today's "Gimme More CS Lewis" edition of Spears Catcher.

Orlando the Hero? Puh-lease!

orlando goes off - click to play Orlando Bloom's reps are spinning his bad behavior following a serious car accident in the most ridiculous way we've seen in a long time.

Bloom was behind the wheel early Friday morning when his vehicle struck a parked Porsche, seriously injuring one of his passengers. Bloom's reaction -- he walked away from the car and his badly hurt passenger. Video from X17 tells the story -- paparazzi have to repeatedly tell Bloom that walking away constitutes hit and run. When it finally sinks in, Bloom walks back and pretends to be a hero, comforting the woman.

A statement released by Bloom's people on Friday said the star was "grateful that no one was seriously injured." We're no medical experts, but we'd call the FRACTURED NECK sustained by his friend, Cher Coulter, pretty serious.

And the cops are saying that Bloom was not drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident -- but they didn't conduct a blood alcohol test at the scene and none was ever given because, they say, because Orlando showed no signs of intoxication.

Was Orlando drinking? Watch him go off on a guy outside a club, minutes before the crash, and then decide for yourself.

T.I. Busted for Allegedly Buying Weapons

T.I. TMZ has obtained the affidavit and search warrant issued by The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) after T.I. allegedly had his bodyguard buy illegal machine guns and silencers for him.

Since T.I. is a convicted felon, he can't legally buy firearms, so, according to the ATF, he used his bodyguard to purchase them for him and members of his entourage. According to the affidavit, the bodyguard admitted to buying nine firearms for T.I. (real name Clifford Harris) and approximately 17 other firearms for people other than Harris.

He was charged with two felonies -- possession of three unregistered machine guns and two silencers, and possession of firearms by a convicted felon. A source told MediaTakeOut.com that "[The bodyguard] asked T.I. for an advance on his [pay] and T.I. gave it to him. ...Whatever he spent money on -- whether it be guns, drugs, or formula for his children -- T.I. had nothing to do with it."

TMZ spoke with Chevrolet this morning, which features the rapper in one of its biggest ad campaigns. When asked whether they planned to drop him as a spokesman, a rep for the automaker only said they are "reviewing the situation."

If Chevy does indeed drop him, there's always Smith & Wesson!

UPDATE: This afternoon, the ATF showcased the guns seized in the case (pictured below).

guns seized in T.I. case

COMMENTS

Silver

You know I really wonder if mutts and moms will really know how much the public is upset at this stupid stunt of theirs. And no I did not capitalise their names because they dont deserve the repect to be even be noticed. I would be afraid to do business with them. I wonder what the next stupid stunt will be. But what bothers me.m if there is so many animals that needs loving homes and I know there is, why charge the family for them?? Myself I cannot affort some of the charges they want for some of these animals. And iut hurts. I seen a puppy I would have loved to have adopted.BUt I couldn't because I couldn't afford the adoption fee they wanted. So as much as I hated it,I had to turn my back on that little puppy. And I would havbe given him a very loving home. So I really don't like these places that charge a person . At if money has anything to do with love. If you love that animal you will take care of him .

rtgirl

Anyone who has ever adopted from an agency for animals can tell you that it is harder to adopt a pet than to adopt a child. Honestly, it is ridiculous. There are plenty of people out there who would be great pet owners but can't meet all of the ridiculous requirements they place on ownership. I would hope that this agency will clear this family and give the dog back.

JEANNE

''MEL GIPSON,, STILL LOOKED GOOD'

kathleen

I volunteer for a humane society and do adoptions. As part of our adoption contract, it states that the adopter must notify us immediately if the dog/cat does not work out. It is OUR call to place the dog/cat in another home. If she would have followed protocal, and notified the adopting agency that the dog didn't work out, and she had a prospective home for it, I'm sure they would have met with the prospective owners and approved the adoption. Common sense people....pet agencies are looking out for the best interest of the animal. Many times we've encountered people adopting dogs/cats and 2 weeks later lose interest in the animal and either set it free or give it to someone who is less than qualified to be a pet owner.

Penny

Do you have any idea what happens to the animals who are given away "Free to a home", they end up in labs for animal testing, or they get home and mom and dad wont let them have the kitty and they are dumped on the street. Or they are given to someone who will never have them spayed or neutered. Animal placement agencies earn their fee...............

moms2cool

#67 rtgirl that's exactly right! there are a lot of people who would make great owners but the power mongers like to remind people they can deny them ownership & that *they are the authority*........... It's a power trip & it's done at the expense of the poor animals and the people who would benefit from the company of the dogs.

BillieMae

HOW STUPID IS THIS!!!!!!
WTF is a dog adoption agency anyway? Only in California. Next, the dog will want to find his birth parents. SHESHHHHHHHHH It's a DOG people!!

moms2cool

HEY YOU #64 Brooklyn Yenta "TMZ is a site that has no value to any person that has a life...its for all the losers in life that want to live the life of the rich,fuc88ed up and famous."

Are you implying this doesn't apply to men? and having said that while we're all here commenting on a headline ummm YOU ARE HERE too!

Aubrey Jack Young

I sent an email to the organization (Mutt and Moms) letting them know that in several days I will get on all of the Pagan and Heathen Sites, let those sites know about this event and ask their members not to give any form of support to this organization until they correct their actions in taking the dog away from a loving family and hurting the children of that family.

What was best for the dog was a loving home! What was best for the family was giving a dog a home where it was deeply loved. No better situation could have existed for the dog and the family and this organization showed, they didn't care for either one by their actions.

My thoughts,

Jack

hisakojack

Compatability is the key here. Why didn't Ellen work with the adoption agency for a trial period to see if the Cat's and Dog could get along. Apparently Ellen gave no conscious though to what would happen when the meow mst the bow wow. The four P's apply here.

Afan

I am an Ellen fan, but fail to see why this story is any of our business?!

Alexa

ChattyKathy...
that was well put!!!

moms2cool

GET REAL #71 animal rescuer you said "People in rescue have years of experience inspecting homes and lifestyles to make certain that the animal will live the best life possible and be taken care of properly."

IS this even SERIOUS? If the "PROFESSIONALS are so great & they'd checked out Ellen as they should have then why did the adoption for Ellen NOT WORK? You know if they'd "inspected the home" then wouldn't they have seen the cats that Ellen owned & perhaps known that this adoption was going to work? Of course they couldn't predict that & it doesn't take a phd to do an adoption! I've homed many dogs & if this woman & this group were *trained professionals* looking to make sure this dog was to be taken care of "properly" they wouldn't be continuing to bounce it from one place to another without any reguard for the *truama* they are doing to the dog never mind the PEOPLE! Let go of the power trip you're on. It's a great thing to go & rescue a dog, foster it & then rehome it but it does NOT take a "professional" it just takes someone who is *sensistive* to the needs of others!

Susan Vosilla

There are so many pets today that need homes and this pup found two! This organization is supposedly here to help not hurt animals!
Ellen made a mistake, big deal,oes that mean, you have to make Ellen, Portia, the pup and a whole family pay for that mistake! That organization should be shut down! As far as I'm concerned, ellen did'nt even do anything wrong!

animal lover

did i miss something here? the lady shows up to take the dog, at anytime did she request to come in and do an inspection before removing the dog? yeah, sounds like more money thing to me. i can't believe ellen would have ever put an animal in a bad home!!!