Ellen Breaks Down on Her Show

10/16/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The usually upbeat Ellen DeGeneres was anything but on today's episode of her show -- stopping her opening monologue to give a passionate, tear-filled speech about her recent dog troubles.

After walking on to the usual applause, Ellen quieted the audience and explained that, "Today is a hard day for me ... I am not capable of coming out and pretending to be funny when things are going so terribly wrong right now."

Wiping tears from her eyes, Ellen went on to talk about her ongoing battle with a dog rescue group that took back a dog Ellen adopted after discovering the talk show hostess had given it to her hairdresser.

Tonight's TMZ TV has all the latest on the developing story. Watch today's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to see the rest of her passionate plea.

mitchell

How gay can you be?!

CC

I feel bad, but the truth is those dogs are RESCUED for a reason, and the new home is chosen for a reason. What if the last family had kids who tortured him? Ellen has to understand that.

Boston Kate

Can't the family go through the proper channels, now, to try to get back the dog? After all, they family didn't break the agreement.

Only swim in the Ocean

Hey Ellen, there is no crying in Baseball !!!!!!!!!!

Only swim in the Ocean

Hey Ellen, there is no crying in Baseball !!!!!!!!!!

Kirsty

please sign the petition to give iggy back to a loving home

Only swim in the Ocean

Hey Ellen, there is no crying in Baseball !!!!!!!!!!

HaterOne

It's hard to feel sympathy since I'm vietnamese and I like to eat dogs for breakfast. I dog in my soup called "PHO". You americans should try it. We also have a dog-like sushi with spicy mayo sauce.....yuuummmy!

The Monkey Zone

She could do a naked PETA add

"I would rather wear nothing on my show than give the dog back!"

coco

she just has a soft heart thinks like this really get to her

ARGUS

i really wish she could put energy and help needed families and kids...

ME

Ruff ruff!

fed up

Give the dog back to the little girl. There are thousands of unwanted animals out there that have to be put down because homes can not be found. Ellen found the dog a suitable home. If she wasn't famous and gave the dog to someone else no one would have ever cared. For all you saying butch up maybe the lady has a heart and feels for the little girl that has just lost her pet. Think back to when you all were kids and puppies made you happy. Leave her alone.

Stephanie

I feel so bad for this little girl. I help out with a dog resuce and our major concern is for the dog. We Ellen was wrong not to call the rescue group, once the rescue found out and saw that the dog was in a wonderful home it should have let the dog remain. It looks to me that this ladies best intrest is in herself! NOT THE DOG

Jeff

She broke the rules, now pay the price. Just because she is a star, doesn't make it right. Guess 3 bitches in a house were to many.