Ellen Breaks Down on Her Show

10/16/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The usually upbeat Ellen DeGeneres was anything but on today's episode of her show -- stopping her opening monologue to give a passionate, tear-filled speech about her recent dog troubles.

After walking on to the usual applause, Ellen quieted the audience and explained that, "Today is a hard day for me ... I am not capable of coming out and pretending to be funny when things are going so terribly wrong right now."

Wiping tears from her eyes, Ellen went on to talk about her ongoing battle with a dog rescue group that took back a dog Ellen adopted after discovering the talk show hostess had given it to her hairdresser.

Tonight's TMZ TV has all the latest on the developing story. Watch today's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to see the rest of her passionate plea.

Marni

to #37- who do you think is caring for Michael Vick's dogs now? An AGENCY. Who did the temperament evaluations and determined that only one of them was going to need to be PTS? An AGENCY. Its the agencies that are cleaning up the messes of society in the way that they treat their pets, so please do not condemn them. I challenge you to go volunteer with your local humane society and then you will see why rules are concrete. Just because someone has four walls, a roof, and children does not mean it is a good home. The adoption agency should do a home visit and the family should have to apply and pass all of the checks that everyone else (including Ellen) has to pass. if they are truly a good home, the agency WILL adopt the dog to them.

oscar

ummm, if i hadn't known the story of the dog already i would have thought she was going to announce the death of a close family member or friend or say she had some type of terminal illness. don't get me wrong, i love animals but ??

what-a-joke

It is a sad day when dog rescue leagues have more laws and possession rights than with real children.

I can relate To Ellen's heart break. When you're a true dog lover; your's and even your friends canines are like family.

Idiocy for the rescue league to take the dog back; for it is in a loving and stable home; what the rescue leagues mission is to do....place animals in stable and loving homes.

Tangie

LI--you desperately need to grow up.

baby girl

Oh please- that Vanessa chick is getting her 15 minutes! That's all it is....next.

so so sad

Ellen helps many organizations ....think pink....the little boy (golfer) who is blind due to cancer..... the kids in the worst highschool for the band... know facts before you open your mouth it only make you look stupid...stick to the case the DOG and the girl

Mia

I'm glad Ellen talked about it on her show. No one would ever accuse her of being insincere or of not feeling passionate about animals. I think she needs to spend some time with shelter folks, and maybe she will understand why things went wrong in her case. I know she feels very guilty about her friends. I think she acted impulsively to do a good thing. Impulsive actions are sometimes very bad for the animals involved. Everyone who just disses shelter aand adoption groups are just too narrow minded and self righteous to argue with. I will bet the dog is readopted by the family in question, under the same terms that Ellen agreed to.

idle curiosity

Wise Up.
I hope that business Mutts & Moms goes bankrupt after this. They didn't need to treat Ellen so horribly. All they had to do is check out the new home.
And BTW Ellen isn't crying over the dog, she's crying about how she feels she has hurt so many people.
CATS RULE

jaymac

What say we quit squabbling over this and buy poster P.R. a dictionary, a grammar text, and a puppy to beat?

yirmine snipe

What the hell is this... where I live (not in LALA land) a dog is a possession. If I adopt one (ie someone gives me one) its mine. I can be good to it or I can go Korean and eat it if I like... but at the end of the day, once I take possession of the dog its mine.

What kind of flakey ass place is this where the giver (probably actually seller since most of these rackets charge a fee) has any right to come back and reclaim what I was given or paid for.

Frankly this organization sounds like a con.

Just wondering

I agree with Ellen, then again, I do not. I signed the same kind of contract.

When I was having so many problems with my puppies (not rescued), but adopted from KY, my rescue group was there for me. I almost got rid of them. However, because they seem to have strong fighting abilities, I decided not to. I was too afraid that someone might see the same thing in them that I did...and use them for that.

I have rescue beagles. I was checked out from all angles, right down to the fence I picked out, and they said it was too low. All I can say...is thanks for all your help.

Tangie

Jason Dottley? A celebrity? LOL Never heard of you, son.

LI

email this shelter and hopefully get them to do the right thing!!!

pawboutique@yahoo.com

LI

email this shelter and hopefully get them to do the right thing!!!

pawboutique@yahoo.com

LI

email this shelter and hopefully get them to do the right thing!!!

pawboutique@yahoo.com