Don't Screw the Pooch!

10/17/2007 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen DeGeneres has been attacked by a pet adoption agency for committing a cardinal sin -- not getting approval before giving an abandoned dog to a loving family.

TMZ obtained this clip from last night's taping of Ellen's show that will air today. In it, she says the fight should not be about anything but the dog, and the dog just needs to go back to the family.

TMZ broke the story that Ellen had given a dog she adopted to her hairstylist after she realized the pooch didn't get along with her cats. The adoption agency ripped the dog from its new digs because Ellen signed a contract that said if she gave the dog up it would go back to the adoption agency -- HELLO?!? Adoption, loving home!

Now we've learned Ellen never submitted an application to adopt the dog, nor did she undergo a home inspection that seems so important after the fact. There were no holier-than-thou terms to this process.

For the record, we're told the agency has greenlighted other dog adoptions with young children in the house -- the "kids" in question here are 12 and 13.

Also, we've learned the deal was that the info on microchip in the dog's neck was supposed to be updated with Ellen's information. That was never done. That's why when the police checked the chip, the dog was still registered to Mutts and Moms.

TMZ SUCKS

MUTTS AND MOMS violated their own rules. They have bent the rules many other times. This time they wanted to get some publicity and instead have hurt all the other rescue organizations out there. WHY IN GODS NAME where POLICE called to take a dog away from two CHILDREN?

Don't like it? Email them at pawboutique@yahoo.com

Boycott their "Paw Boutique" in CA and make sure you don't do business with this evil person!

Cartman

Somebody is getting an email bomb straight outta Compton.

Jenn

Peacefully send a message in support of Ellen to M&M (and please pass this along!)

ILoveMyKids

To "Get Real", if you don't want to believe that there is no such thing as a reputable breeder, that's your choice. But, my mother in law knows plenty as she's been a trainer/groomer for most of her adult life.

Would I have liked to save a dog, you betcha. Do I sacrifice my children's privacy over it? No freaking way. Yes, I believe that shelters have a responsibilty to place animals in proper homes but there has got to be a better way than them intruding on the privacy of the adoptees.

Do I believe all shelters are bad? No. There are some that are absolutely wonderful and they should not be boycotted, but supported. But, Mutts and Moms COULD have handled this a whole lot better than they had. They could've gone to the house, done their home check, seen how Iggy interacts with the family and if the family didn't pass the test, then and only then, should they have taken Iggy. A loving home is a loving home, unless they were banking on "Ellen Degeneres adopted one of our dogs" hanging in the store shop window.

Morrigu

We've adopted animals from rescues in the past, however a background check the level of an employment background check is wanted by most rescues these days and to be honest I didn't feel comfortable giving that much private information out to a private non regulated organization... I don't want my private information at risk... Birthdates, bank accounts, last 4 digits of my social security #...

It's why we bought our dog from a breeder, and then made sure she was spayed... I have 2 small kids - you can bet we'd not be approved by Mutts and Mom's between my lack of willingness to give out private information and having kids under age 8.

My letters will be out tomorrow morning.

Rustyvain

HEY ELLEN WHY NOT BUY THE GIRLS A NEW PUPPY. YOU ENTERED A CONTRACT SIMILER TO THE ANIMAL SHELTES HAS. YOU CANT GIVE THE ADDOPTED ANIMAL AWAY AS THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THE NEW FAMILY CAN HAVE A PET,THAT THEY ARE ZONED FOR ONE, IF IN A APPARTMENT THAT A PET IS ALLOWED ETC. IT IS IN THE FOR YOU SIGNED.
INSTED CRYING LIKE A BABY ON NATIONAL AIRWAYS MAN UP AND TAKE RESPONCEABILITY. YOU ARE FOCISING ON ONE DOG HOW MANY OTHER FREE TO ADOPT ANIMALS IN LA WERE PUT TO SLEEP? YOU ARE ASKING FOR SPECIAL ATTENTION AND FAVOR WELL THANK GOD THAT THE PET RESCUE CENTER HANDELING YOUR MESS IS ALREADY FUNTIONING CARE AND RESCUE CENTER FOR PETS. I WISH THE NEW OWNER OF THE DOG A MUCH BETTER EXPERANCE AND HOPE THAT THEY WILL LOVE AND ADHEAR TO THE ADOPTION CONTRACT.

THIS ONLY GOES TO SHOW CAT PEOPLE ARE NUTS. EVERY DOG PERSON KNOWS THAT.

Sarah

The amount of money and publicity that Ellen freely gives away to animal organizations each and every year is worth much more than you or any 1,000 of us could possibly do for a rescue organization. I have rescued animals, I have volunteered, I have donated, I have adopted from animal shelters. The bottom line is it is WRONG to hurt children and animals in order to make an example out of a tv star; the bottom line is some people would prefer to go to a backyard breeder if it means knowing their children will never have their pet torn from their arms. The bottom line is you could also be spending the time you are spending spouting off your garbage here, volunteering for a rescue. But you aren't, either, so GET REAL yourself. We all could do more, and none of us do as much as Ellen has to help animals, we just don't have the money or the celebrity. She LOVES animals truly. She didn't mean to cause all this, and all she wants is to help those children and that dog now. Good for her to go on the line for that. And BOO to that evil rescue organization.

mike

what a joke, the dog went to a good home, we have more things to worry about... give it a rest... and give the dog back to the family...

Julie G.

FOR comments by get real, The real question is that TMZ. com stated that Ellen never submitted an application nor had a home inspection?in the first place? Most animal organization won't let any animals to be adopted offically til recieved the application and after home inspection. Offically Iggy is still under Mutts and Moms. It is just playing a little game by using Iggy and bring the innocent girls to being victimized by this. How educated are you?

D H

Hey # 57, I have fostered and rehomed over 600 dogs and cats in the last 12 years and compared to my salary and Ellens I would bet my % out does her in animal welfare any day of the week, much less my time given. I walk my talk with my mouth and money. Torn from the little girls arms, stop, really! Ellen was wrong, end of story, the only BOO is her boo-hooing on TV, that was so asinine, they could go get a typical 12 year old like this one another foofoo dog and she owuld smile and say my puppy!!! There is never an excuse to buy from a pet store or backyard breeder, if you are a reputable, good home you will get a pet from a good org. If they say no keep trying. Again GET REAL and get a life, and stop hanging on the pant leg of some TV star they you don't even know.

The Marian Movement

Maybe Ellen is just more of a cat person.

Terry

it's all extremely pathetic. The Nazi dog rescue woman at Mutts & Moms need to be let go for wasting precious time while thousands of dogs are being put to sleep.
I think they did this because Ellen is a celebrity. There sure seems to be something more going here.

Uhh Joe, yeah Joe

People! Let's read between the Kleenex shall we?
This is all hype because Ellen's ratings are in the toilet
TMZ is owned by the same company who produces her show - Warner Bros Telepictures
Jim Paratore is an Exec Producer of both shows (Ellen and TMZ)
Which explains why they are clearly taking her side
Ellen goes through dogs like last years fashions - well known by "rescue" agencies in
L.A. this time the media picked up on it so she balls her eyes out on national TV. Glad I wasn't one of the audience members that day. Waiting outside for hours, some fly in and spend money to see the show in person only to get a sobbing host after they have been happily dancing before the show. Way to bum out your audience Ellen - selfish!

A friend of mine was her hair stylist for one show before being coldly fired, which by the way happens quite a bit. Ellen has burned through the entire Hollywood directory of Hair stylists so the odds are the agencies real problem was that she only knew this person and her family for a maximum of 48 hours. This is how long most stylists last. I mean c'mon her hair ain't that tough to style!

Time to realize when you are being manipulated people! Ellen is not as nice as everyone thinks. I mean She didn't cry this hard when her own family was run out of New Orleans after Katrina!!! Or when her "friend" Melissa Etheridge was diagnosed with breast cancer...starting to get it people? Don't get blown away by the spin. Ellen is only doing this to save face and boost ratings.

Maybe we should all be "Getting Real and watch Dr. Phil....oh that's right most people are which is why her ratings are down....