Copperfield Reportedly Investigated for Rape

10/19/2007 1:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

FOX News Channel is reporting that a Seattle woman is alleging magician David Copperfield raped her.

The woman told Seattle police the magician raped her while she was in the Bahamas in July. Because the alleged incident happened abroad and the woman did not report the incident until she returned to the United States, Seattle authorities turned the case over to the FBI. We're told that no rape kit was done on the alleged victim in the Bahamas, which could make prosecution difficult.

As we reported yesterday, FBI agents "stormed the warehouse," and seized a computer hard drive, a digital camera system and nearly $2 million in cash.

David Chesnoff, Copperfield's lawyer, told TMZ, "We understand there is an investigation, we are in touch with the investigators, and are respecting the confidentiality of the investigation."

jackschitt

I guess he made his weiner disappear! Was it in the butt?

Halt

God Golly Ms. Molly. What a pile of barnyard manure reported as truth. TMZ, please a little common sense before you publish stories you will probably have to retract

Let us look at the facts.

He is accused of Crime commited in the Bahamas. Then the authority that should be charging him is the Bahamas not the US. If the Bahama authorities have a case then Mr. Copperfield will be extradited. This report states the Seattle woman was not raped in the US. I know King George th3 43rd has made a hash of the Constitution but the FBI has no jurisdiction in this case to even request a warrant based on a rape in the Bahamas.

I find it interesting that no one has published the search warrant. The search warrant must say what the police are looking for. Warrants are not issued for fishing expeditions. So my educated guess is the Warrant has absolutely nothing to do with the Seattle Woman's rape in the Bahamas

Now, the two million in cash is interesting and for the Feds to seize the money, it should be part of the Warrant. But what would 2 million have to do with a rape in the Bahamas. Wait for it, nothing.....

People, rumors are fun but we have already given up enough of the rights the founders fought so hard for. It will be interesting to see how this truely plays out.

Hopefully TMZ will be reporting on the facts, rather than fanning rumors for whatever reason.

honesty

Maybe it is me, but what does 2 million in cash have to do with a rape in the Bahamas?

Thraprod

If the rape was in the Bahamas, does the FBI even have authority or do they have to catch him, take him to the bahamas, and try the case there? Any way you look at it, true or false, it doesn't look good for the prosecution. You need some HARD evidence going against a Celeb. Long wait on the report, no kit done... bad times for prosecution. As for seizing the hard drive, she must have claimed that he recorded it. Which if he didn't, or was smart enough not to keep it on his main computer... or at least on his personal computer at home instead of his WAREHOUSE computer... that's one more piece of evidence the prosecution doesn't have. As for the cash? Maybe the guy hates banks and thinks they're a rip off. I know more and more people refusing to use banks now-a-days as banks get shadier and shadier in their dealings again. Then again, $2 mil isn't that much to him... it's entirely possible it was pulled out for some legitimate transaction for his museum.

Honestly though, I would not be shocked if he were 'found guilty', put in some high security prison, and then vanished... only for it to be revealed to be a very elaborate publicity stunt or trick. He hasn't been in the news much lately and could probably use the press.

freakydeak

I remember years ago, my friend saw a show of his and got picked to go up onstage to be part of an illusion. While she was up there, he grabbed her boobs while he was "working his magic" . From then on we called him David Cop-a-Feel.
If the story is true, hopefully the woman involved will find justice.

ratass

I believe the victims story 100% . About a decade ago, my then 18 year old sister was working at a theater where Copperfield was performing. She told me how the jerk hit on her, and tried to get her to go back to some hotel with him.

She thought he was a pervert and a slimeball, and turned him down. As mentioned in another post, doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not, I believe my sister completely, and I believe this arrogant jackass went too far and committed the rape.

Magic Stick

Hes a creepy guy...anyways, he is supremely wealthy and ALL wealthy people know to rape outside the U.S. and store millions in offshore bank accounts. I see this turning into a tax evasion case and possible rape charges just to make probable cause to search his "warehouse" (rape chamber)

Brian Gilbertson

David is not arrogant at all. I remember meeting him backstage in 1992 when I was just entering the hobby of magic. He was as personable as someone in his position can be. I would also hope this allegation is false. He's not someone that would have to rape anyone....and I always thought he was gay. Claudia Schiffer I believe was a cover at the time.

Skank You, Y'all

Can anybody explain why TMZ took down the:
David Copperfield Issues a Statement
Posted Oct 19th 2007 4:24PM by TMZ Staff

It seems to have just dissapeared (no, seriously, I'm not tryng to be funny).
It was at the top of the list, above the article about the tragic death of Hunter Tylo's son.
It was only posted for about an hour.

Inquiring mind what's to know...

Skank You, Y'all

(sorry for the typo ~ I meant "trying")

carm

why did they take HIS money. wtf has that got to do with it?

linda

Why did the feds take his money? what has that got to do with rape? Who is the crook here?

linda dame

Jason

I think it is sad that all these people make fun or write hateful stuff about the guy. Love him or hate him, he has done more for the magic community than any other single performer.

I have met him personally, and he is truly a good person. That doesn't mean he is God and can't ever make mistakes...but we have seen many cases in the media of the woman crying wolf...so I am suspect when I hear it.

As for the raid...it wil be interesting to find out what that was all about. It is sad that eventhough our legal system claims innocent until proven guilty...people are usually treated the other way. As for the money...with as much as he is worth...if it were me, I would have some cash stashed in places other than banks. Hello, it wasn't all that long ago that savings and loans were dropping like flies.

Anyway...I say don't judge the man till the facts are in...

SHE IS A DITZ

THIS WOMAN IS DEFINATLY A REAL DITZ. AND TOTALLY DUMB
WE KNOW SHE IS NOT TELLING THE TRUTH NOW HOW IN THE WORLD DOES SHE EVEN INTEND TO PROVE ANY OF THIS AFTER THIS LONG OF A TIME PERIOD AND
NO PROOF, SHE IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE WANTING TO BE NOTICED DUMB WOMEN. SHE IS TRYING TO COMPETE WITH - THE LOKES OF PARIS AND BRITTNEY
UGH GO TO ANOTHER PARTY

yentirb

Why are you judging him of being gay? He may not be a rapist and he may not be gay.