Why FBI May Have Seized Copperfield's Stuff

10/23/2007 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Copperfield is under the FBI microscope, and now TMZ may know why.

Last week, the FBI raided Copperfield's Las Vegas warehouse and seized digital camera equipment and a hard drive to a computer -- this, after a Seattle woman accused Copperfield of sexually assaulting her in the Bahamas.

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for picking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

This may explain the FBI's interest in David's camera system and hard drive. If the accuser is a woman who was brought on stage, the FBI would be interested in a possible M.O.

Copperfield's attorney re-issued his earlier statement in response to this story: "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone."

ME

How did he magically get Claudia Schiffer?

grossed out

I don't believe one second he raped this girl. The story sounds fishy why would she wait so long to tell authorities. EASY MONEY!! She wants settlement. So what if he picked up women on his shows...every rock star does that. HE IS INNOCENT! He's my dream man. I would be flattered if he asked me to go backstage. He's so handsome!

ME

JC, I would never asked you to go backstage. You're not hot enough!

TmZombie

Ouch! He is going down, the story is 90% accurate!

OCD

My question is if he has been accused of rape, why are they taking his stuff? How many rapists get all of their belongings taken?

If he's a rapist, throw his ass in jail, but I don't think you can just take all of his "stuff".

Just my opinion

Deb

Seriously, what rock star, comedian or anyone else who performs onstage DOESNT do that? Now THAT would be a story.

Sir Nigel Buttercrumpet

Hell, I was shocked to hear he even likes woman. I always figured he was
a Lady Boy!

Sir Nigel Buttercrumpet

Make that "women"!

Erma

I don't believe David did anything and this woman wants to cash in, settle out of court and go on her mary way. This is one time I have to side with the accused.

Me

Elle

Total BS .Some broad thought she saw an easy payday.

grossed out

loser so called wanna be David Copperfield on this site. I was in player during my college years. Playboy scout chose me to be in the mag. Girls like me would never give you the time or day...loser..shouldn't you be in school?

grossed out

THis is what happend David has this girl backstage and she is in awe of him because he is a celebrity. He asked her to go to the Bahamas and she willingly accepted. When he spent time with her in the Bahamas it was a fling to him and he didn't want anything more to do with her. She was scorned so she stated he raped her so she can get a settlement. Poor guy has to deal with this crap because he makes millions. WHo is this girl. She just ruined his good reputation. She should be hung.

rachel

I thought he was gay, and what's her face was just a beard. Claudia?

grossed out

makes no sense why the girl waited so long before she contacted authorities and why she willingly went to the Bahamas this sounds fishy...sounds like the Seatlle FBI agency screwed up big time. I hope David can sue them. This is injustice to tarnish his reputation from a women than willingly went to the Bahamas. I hope she doesn't get one penny out of this.