Why FBI May Have Seized Copperfield's Stuff

10/23/2007 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Copperfield is under the FBI microscope, and now TMZ may know why.

Last week, the FBI raided Copperfield's Las Vegas warehouse and seized digital camera equipment and a hard drive to a computer -- this, after a Seattle woman accused Copperfield of sexually assaulting her in the Bahamas.

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for picking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

This may explain the FBI's interest in David's camera system and hard drive. If the accuser is a woman who was brought on stage, the FBI would be interested in a possible M.O.

Copperfield's attorney re-issued his earlier statement in response to this story: "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone."

Amanda

OMG.. My husband and I went to his show on Oct 12th at the Hollywood Theatre and this happened to me. When my husband and I walked in the floor man told the usher to sit us a in a different seat. My husband told me he did that because of what I was wearing and to get me on stage. 15 minutes into the show David Copperfield throws a pickle to me and I'm on stage (sounds crazy but if you have been to his show lately you know what I mean). When I walked off stage an assistant gave me a picture of Copperfield and asked me to wait after the show for a meet and greet. I assume now that the picture was the mark, maybe they marked my seat on a map too?? At the end of the show my husband and I stood up from the booth and an assistant immediately came over and asked me to stay that David would like to meet me. We waited a few minutes and another assistant came over. At this point I think they realized I was married because the two assistants talked but what they were saying really didn't make sense. As we walked to the doors to the left of the stage the assistant asked my husband to wait while I went back. She seamed surprised that he was there... So I went back and waited between two sets of double doors for about 15 minutes. They didn't ask me any questions or take pictures.. I assume because they finally saw my husband and my ring. He came out and signed my picture and told me thanks for the outfit I was wearing. We left the show wondering what the hell had happened and thinking it was all very strange. If he was so concerned about doing a meet and greet with the fans wouldn't my husband have been invited back?

Terry

# 7 by WW
You will have to be more specific. Which Black person was accused of rape and this TMZ blog condemned the entire race? And was it the entire Blog including myself or a few bloggers?

on topic
I think David Copperfield knows exactly which woman it is who has thrown these charges at him.

Terry

I agree # 71 by SinCity
Anyone who makes the statement
"He doesn't have the characteristics of a rapist." is totally ignorant and should educate themselves in this area before tossing out a comment like that.

fringe dweller

WW -- of course, there will be some sort of racist comment from a person like you, who keeps looking for moments to jump in and say that the other poor "minorities" are always being victimized by "the man." Thanks for throwing in your two cents and reminding us that people like you are out there, just waiting to gett P.O'd over any little thing... makes us really want to give you every advantage in the world and think you're an intelligent, thinking person.

Terry

#61 Sorry, I don't think that the Feds should be able to raid your space, jack your $$$$$$$ and NOT even have to tell you who is accusing you.

I disagree and also the person could be under age. That being said I believe David Copperfield knows just who it is making these allegations against him.
If his legal camp "implied" he did not not know it is their legal game, Dose not mean he does not know.

suoires

"and now..i shall make this jimmy disappear..."

David in Bangkok

As in the past the FBI cannot resist a high profie case to chase after. Supervisors and agents are promoted more quickly within this giant bureaucracy if they can successfully prosecute one of these cases. It is a huge gamble for those FBI people involved however they tend to believe their own carefully crafted press clippings. The FBI supervisiors and agents often fail thus stalling their careers. All this is going on without much thought to the victim or the named suspect (who more often than not becomes a victim). For the innocent it will be a personal tragedy but for the FBI it will be just another high profile case gone bad. Chasing terrorist reduces the profile of the FBI because it has to be done in secret.

NotBuyingIt

doesn't anyone else question the absurdity of the Seattle FBI raiding his warehouse and MGM work storages, but not his house, and also without even alerting (let alone cooperating with) the LVFBI? And the seizure of the money -- not on warrant, nothing to indicate that it was "illicit" money -- and also pretty amazing this lady would know that some small computer file (i.e. a portable USB file) would be at that huge storage. No search of his home; it reads like a lame plot, set up on someone's knowledge of his "routine." I think the allegations are someone's disillusions, too questionable, and I question the actions of the Seattle FBI--and why the FBI in sexual allegations case?

Uk1

Oh grow up. He travels a lot meeting women is not easy if you live and work in the same town. There is nothing wrong with having women brought back stage (they can say no!). He is very wealthy, attractive and these alligations may just be the work of a gold digger. Let the system take his course but don't say he is guilty because you don't like his "pick up" method.

Leela

chicago, that was exactly what I was going to say. I don't know if he's guilty or not but I have always thought he looked creepy and just plain icky. Poster #7 WW, oh would you just get over it already? The only people who bring race into it when there is a person of colour involved, are black people who scream racism, like no black celebrity could ever possibly be guilty. What are you, genetically innocent of all crimes?

Terry

# 74 JFetch
State in your post's the commenter's by post number that are calling David a rapist.
Please do not throw everyone in the mix and give a silly admonishment few need or deserve. Most post's are questioning as they should be and have a right to do. Few have called him a rapist. .

JFetch

#80

If you look, you'll see a ton of people calling him a rapist. Start on the first page.

notaceleb

Wow! "The Secret Life of Magician David Copperfield". Sounds like an, "Oprah," Book-of-the-Month-Club selection to me.

U.S-male

This shows how screwed up this country is

If a crime happened it was outside the USA and you can smell this as the feds want a reason to take all his money and keep it.
They have no right as they are not the legal system in another country and our laws cannot be used for something that happens outside of it.

The fact she even waited months in this country shows she was plotting a way to make up a story that would fit.
Remember that ditry tacobell chick who claimed she at a cheeseburger and found part of a thumb ?
Same deal but in this case FBI has no right looking at a crime that even the country it is claimed in has no warrant or even a report it happened.

D.C can play hide the hotdog in the bun with any guy or girl and they would pay him to do it so she and the feds are liars.

Amanda