Why FBI May Have Seized Copperfield's Stuff

10/23/2007 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Copperfield is under the FBI microscope, and now TMZ may know why.

Last week, the FBI raided Copperfield's Las Vegas warehouse and seized digital camera equipment and a hard drive to a computer -- this, after a Seattle woman accused Copperfield of sexually assaulting her in the Bahamas.

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for picking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

This may explain the FBI's interest in David's camera system and hard drive. If the accuser is a woman who was brought on stage, the FBI would be interested in a possible M.O.

Copperfield's attorney re-issued his earlier statement in response to this story: "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone."

Some Faustkateer

When an attorney says: "We know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone..."

You can be pretty sure he really means: "Oh, my god, the women are gonna to start coming out of the woodwork any minute!"

Brian Northere

Copperfield was entertaining when I saw him at age ten. Folks don't understand or respect the craft of the illusionist, but that doesn't excuse any untoward seductions of unsuspecting females. Methinks some guys are just mad that he thought of using magic to get women into bed before they did.

DARK MEAT ONLY

David is a Saint! I won't belive it never

Sign

David's Grandmother

TC71

Oh Please, you all convict this man before there is even any solid evidence against him.
How do you know this is not some freaked out chick who is trying to get money from him. Or maybe she is one of the women he rejected in favor of someone he thought was more beautiful.
Also if he were a Black man or a Hispanic man you trollers would be screaming racism.
There are a few facts you are not taking into Consideration. 1. He is filthy rich. 2. Most women think he is gorgeous. 3. A guy like him has beautiful women throwing their panties at him where ever he goes. Why would he resort to raping someone when there are millions of 20 something brain dead bimbo sluts who look like super models that would do anything just to get into some of that money. Hell he can buy more than most of you have ever seen. Fact is, the majority of young women these days are selling themselves to the highest bidder. Little Gold Diggers and he is surrounded by them every day.

DARK MEAT ONLY

He could have anyone. But I guess David would rather snatch some stuff instead. What a pity, I thought he was a decent man, not a stud rapist. Oh my, nothing is never as it seems.

Mick

Anyone who has worked with or been associated with Copperfield knows about this behavior. It's no big secret and he's been doing it for decades. He is notorious for picking up groupies on tour then dumping them off his bus in the middle of nowhere. The thing is, everyone signs a pretty ironclad secrecy agreement when they work on one of his shows, so people don't talk because they'll get sued and/or blacklisted. I'm surprised that it has taken this long for a case like this to emerge.

Sonia

#108 No, he never married Claudia Schiffer, hence the gay rumors, which I dont think are rumors, they were engaged for six years...She eventually got smart and married a film guy last name of Vaughn...

Creeped out

I can't say if this alleged rape happened or not, but I can clarify the "pick up" scheme. I just had it happen to me about a month ago.

I attended the show at MGM in Las Vegas and was approached before the show by a woman who said she was David's assistant. She told me and my friend that we were in "special seats" and David likes to interact with his audience. I told the woman that I DID NOT want to be brought up on stage.

When David got to his trick where he "impregnates" a girl he tried to pull me up on stage (literally, by my arm), to which I absolutely refused to go. Then throughout the rest of the show he continued to make direct eye contact with me (which made me a bit uncomfortable). He asked me once more if I would come up to which I declined. While the show was still in progress the asst came over again and said he would like to meet us after the show. I thought he felt bad for embarrassing me, so we agreed we would.

We were then lead to a small hall which had two exit doors where the assistant showed us a video about his island (I thought this was to waste time until he came out). Then she had us fill out a form with our name, address, contact #, email, favorite perfume, favorite flower, favorite type of drink, etc. She then snapped a poloroid of me my friend, and clipped it to the form. We also recieved a pamphlet about the island.

David then came out, signed a headshot, had the asst take a pic on a digital camera with each of us separately. Asked us if we enjoyed the show and if we had a passport. Which was odd. We only spoke with him for all of maybe 4 minutes.

Two days later I recieved a voicemail (which I still have saved) from David himself referring to himself as "my friend" and that he "had an interesting opportunity" for me. Basically saying he wanted me to come to his island in the Bahamas.

His assistant proceeded to call me the next day leaving me a message, and continued to call/text me for four days (a little too persistent for my taste). I finally spoke with her to ask her why I was being invited since I don't normally take off to foreign countries with a group of strangers. She just said to go hang out and have a good time. I asked her if I could bring someone she said yes. I asked her if I the person could be male she said "we prefer females, it's more fun that way".

The whole situation sounded sketchy and I declined the offer.

Osama

Wow..This brings new meaning to the expression " Hokus-poke us"...

someone close to the show

Who ever leaked this story to TMZ is telling the version most any employee of the show would tell, thats why the feds are on it. The real story is top performers all too typically become isolated and lose perspective. They too often begin to believe they are great and worse believe their own press agents version of thier persona. In fact, power, wealth and isloation from ones own roots always corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Copperfield in fact has lost his spirituality, he forgot that other people matter too, his well known appetite for women has found him in this place, guilty or innocent of this rape, his hands are not clean from the taint on his reputation. His lust for women brought him to this day, anyone who has seen his show can taste his appetite for implied sexual content and conquest for women. David you are no victum, your lust and your lack of compassion for the women who are your conquest is the problem. Not those who speak out in the shadows of your deeds, not those who leak your weaknessess. You alone must stop living this illusion that you're a victum. You must stop your disregard for those around you, women are more than tools to satisfy your genitalia.

Your lawyer can save your liberty, but he can't save your soul. Right is right, wrong is just that wrong... you should forget your reputation, that is gone forever, try looking in the mirror, in the end it is you that has to live with you.

Someone close to the show ..........

BGC

About 20 years ago I went to see David Copperfield in the town where I was living. There was talk (very small town) before the show about a particular girl who was seated in the front row that was a set-up date for him for the evening (a local girl) Apparently not a first-time either. She was to be used in one of his acts and then be his "companion" while he was in town.

Before the show began, an extremely attractive young woman was escorted down to the front row and seated. Apparently his "girlfriend at the time" decided to surprise him by showing up unexpectedly.

When the curtains opened, he was standing there and the look on his face was priceless when he saw them both sitting pratically side by side (one not knowing about the other).

Professional that he is though, he quickly regained his composure and proceeded with the show.

Home girl got to be part of the act, but guess she missed out on after the show activities.

By the way, after the show you could get an autograph; it was so obvious that he hated this part of the show, he wouldn't make eye contact and you couldn't speak to him, you could only hand your bulletin/brochure/picture/etc. to one of his "bodyguards" and they would hand it to him.

After we went through the line to get his autograph, I thought maybe I would just go back through again, you know get my money's worth! I was the last one in line; he recognized that I had already come through once, he made eye contact that time, and boy it wasn't pretty.

Talk about if "Looks could kill"

Anyway, apparently he has had this "system of pickuing up women" for some time now!

a believer

Women who speak of sexual misconduct these days against a celebrity know they are going to be beaten down in the press, they know they will utlimately be subject to criticism and acqusition of gold digging. After so many cases, to include the duke case, a woman would have to be crazy to go public with truth on her side, so if the FBI find she's credible and not crazy, then the only alternative is that maybe she is telling the truth. The FBI are not fools, they know if they are joining a witch hunt they go down too, everybodys watching on this one. One off the radar celebrity who uses his power and friends to get the benefit of the doubt probably has the deck stacked on his side over some girl facing nothing good. Because she didn't follow rape procedures after realizing she'd have to face this media scrutiny, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sometimes it takes time to have the courage to tell the truth. Especially when that truth is certainly at your own peril.

A believer

b

The audience members are prechosen days to even weeks before his performances. He already knows where these people that have been chosen are seated. The chosen few have been told what to wear, how to act, and have been briefed prior to going on stage. Even though the story may seem far fetched, it is possible, due to the rehearsals etc. that the audience member goes through. I guess we will just have to wait and see if this disappears, like his acts.

He's Boring now

Well if nothing comes of all of this at least this part of his show has been exposed.

Wonder if he has STDs or little Copperfields running around the Country.

No wonder Claudia never said "I do" after 6 years of engagement. She knew something was wrong with this picture and if couldnt get over it for her, than there is something wrong with his head.

mom

why do people always have to play the"race" card???