Dog Begs for The Rev

10/31/2007 7:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

DOG CHAPMAN, AL SHARPTONTMZ has learned that Dog the Bounty Hunter has already contacted Rev. Al Sharpton, hoping to explain the racist telephone call Dog made to his son.

We're told The Rev, who is currently preaching in Daytona Beach, Fla., and hasn't heard the tape, is considering having a dialog with Chapman, but will not make his decision until he has a chance to listen.

UPDATE: TMZ has received the following statement from The Rev:
"Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network and the organization's Decency Initiative are unequivocally against the use of the "N" word in any context. While people have the freedom to express themselves in any matter in private, when those private conversations become public, it becomes our responsibility to state, as we always have, that we condemn the use of this word as racist and derogatory. Dog the Bounty Hunter has reached out to Reverend Sharpton who is traveling to promote his March on the U.S. Justice Department on November 16th against Hate Crimes and Racial Attacks and therefore Rev. Sharpton has not had a chance to hear the audio of the remarks. However, until he does hear the audio, National Action Network maintains that is against the use of the "N" word."

Story developing ...

Previous 15 Comments | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

momdrivencrazy

I think this is being so blown out of proportion. It was a personal conversation between a father and son and we all say things we reget. It's human nature to make mistakes we have to move along and learn from them. And I don't understand or comprehend why it is O.K. for african americans to call each other N_ _ _ _ _ 's but let one white man do it and he and his family and his fans are punished for it. And I'm sure REV. Al has said things he regrets there just not on tape. I don't approve of what dog said and I have never used the word but I think A&E is making a huge mistake by taking his show off the air. I'll Just PRAY for the whole situation. LOVE TE CHAPMAN's

Pin

Oh give me a break. Where is the white rep for when blacks use the words cracker, honky, white trash, f---ing whitie etc etc? And where does it say everyone has to contact Al Sharpton? Is he the god of black people? Not what I would say is a great role model for the black society. I think Bill Cosby would be better by a long shot. But then again most blacks don't want to hear what he has to say.

SKIPPER

SAY GOOD-BY DOGGIE AND TAKE THAT BOOBY WIFE OF YOURS WITH YOU

SKIPPER

NO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS FOR TUCKER THIS YEAR

cj

What happened to free speech? Is it not an invasion of privacy ( in this case a private conversation between a man and his son) to even air that phone call? Do YOU want to be held accountable for every private conversation you have? I'm not a big fan of Dog's but I do support his and everyone else's right to free speech in a private discussion, regardless how offensive.
And though not a racist by any means I do support the man's right to have a negative opinion about his child's actions. I may not think much of him for using racial slurs but it was after all a private conversation. I might add a good many Black friends of mine would be equally as displeased if their child were dating a white person. Right or wrong Dog did not say these things for public consumption and should have the same protections as the rest of us.

Sue

His son said the word first, but I don't hear any apologizing on his side. He baited Dog, he broke the law. Why isn't he hauled up on charges of recording someone without their consent?

Jo Jo Chavez

I believe that Dog Chapman has the right to do and say, within reason, Anything he
wishes! However this applies to doing and saying! What he thinks or believes is
just perfectly personal and private! It is not like he was going around spreading that
information, His son released the information and if there is to be punishment for
anyone, make it the son! PLEASE USE MY FIRST NAME , JoJo

VELVET

I WATCHED DOG EVERY TUESDAY, AND I AM A BLACK WOMAN. DOG I AM SO UPSET I CAN NOT EVEN PUT IT IN WORDS. GOODBY FOREVER. YOU BUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ranger rich

This just goes to show us that when we are in a place of public display we must guard ourselves with the utmost integrity, for our flaws and weaknesses will be broadcasted before the world. We must realize we have a trust to keep, for we are to be positive examples for others to follow. Character failure not only causes loss for the one who falls, but also undermines the faith of those who looked up to us. We all are human and we all fall short of doing right all the time, but sometimes when we do wrong it costs us more than other times. Being humbled is painful and we lose much, sometimes our position, but if we truly humble ourselves and learn from our prideful errors we will benefit in the long run. God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. I pray for dog that he will humble himself to God and not seek to regain what he has lost by becoming a begger of equally imperfect men.

Owa

WELL DOG, THE WAY LIFE WORKS IS (IF YOU PLAY THEN YOU GOTTA PAY) AND YOU ARE GONNA PAY FOR THIS FOR SURE. ANY ONE CAN WALK AROUND IN BLACK WITH CANS OF MACE STRAPED TO THEIR LEG AND YELL DON'T MOVE ! AND WHAT'S YOUR NAME. IN THE WORDS OF DON MERIDETH.
TURN OUT THE LIGHTS, THE PARTY'S OVER.

Terry

I really like Dog before this and us to always watch his show. I thought he was a racially accepting man since one of his sister-in-laws is hawaiian or asian. He professes to have found God but I don't know? I know we all say things that we shouldn't say about other races but you have to be careful. And although we say things, it doesn't mean we hate the other races, it just might be a particular encounter you had with someone at that time. Dog, a little advise; our kids are not always going to choose someone we like but it's their choice. Nowdays this is the norm. Blacks men like White women, White men like Black women. After a while none of us will be able distinguish what race someone is. I fill for Dog, that just got caught doing what most of us do in private but I'am angry and disappointed.
Black Women in Dallas

clarence

hey dumb ass 60.
how many white people have you seen hanging tree's by the neck?

malinda

HOW DUMB CAN ONE COMPANY BE? WAIT UNTIL ONE OF YOUR KIDS ARE ATTACKED BY A SEX OFFENDER, AT LEAST DOG WENT AFTER EVERYBODY HE WAS NOT AFRAID OF ANYONE AND I AM SURE ONCE THE TV STATION HAS COME TO THERE SENSES THEY WILL SEE THE ERROR OF THERE WAYS!

MAD AS --LL

VickiM46

The more comments I read on here the madder I become. I'm a white female and I can't believe a word has stirred up so much crap. I understand getting upset. I was raped but I got over it. Don't you think it is time for the black race to get over it and stop making excuses for self pity over a word. It's a word. Not the end of the world. You think we don't get offended by your comments putting woman down and degrading us. There is one difference we have grown up and don't feel sorry for ourselves. We move forward in our lives and think or all the good in this world and and not make the whole world pay for something that happened to ancesters years ago. It's time to move on or live in your on self pity but let the rest of the world move on please and keep your self pity to your self. This is getting old.

Previous 15 Comments | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16