Sinead Sneaks a Smoke

11/2/2007 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It is well-nigh two decades since Sinead O'Connor had her last hit record, "Nothing Compares 2 U," but the public pope-pic-ripper looks pretty much exactly as she did back in 1990. Mandinka!

TMZ snapped the singer in a park in the West Village, looking as surprised as anyone that she's still recognizable to cameramen -- who were wearing short pants when she was topping the charts. Nothing compares to that trademark buzz cut!

Thus surprised, Sinead tried to conceal her cancer stick, but to no avail.

All American Girl

It looks like she cant believe someone in taking a picture of her! I cant believe this picture made it this far! She is still manly!!!!!

Kimbro

Bee,
No way did Sinead become a priest in the Catholic Church. Maybe a eucharistic minister, a nun, but not a priest. The church only will allow males to become priests, and they are not allowed to marry.

Athena

I agree, Kitty. When I learned what the picture-tearing was really "all-about," I had to take pause....granted, it was a difficult (possibly unneccessary) path for Sinead post SNL stunt, she did say in the article(s) I later read that she was so outraged at that particular time that she was compelled to make the symbolic point. She was aware of "news" many others had not learned of as yet.
As Catholic, I was curious about her obvious fury and made an effort to discover her reasons. Her reasons were understandable, even at that "pre-exposure-of-priests-gone-bad" period. I never stopped admiring her talent, and remember being completely taken in the very first time I heard her sing Nothing Compares 2 You - on TV awards show. Loved her charisma, passion, whatever it was/is from that first awareness of her existence.
As for this media cover, who gives a chit if she smokes or not? Who gives a chit if anyone smokes or not. I'm sick of all the judgment from those who think themselves in a "position" (whatever in the world that could possibly be) to point their finger and say, "YOU....YOU..... (fill in with any number of possibilities)"
As far as Sinead's incident, judgment was not the core issue, speaking for ones who cannot or will not speak, or are not listened to, and making others aware of the secret silence was her purpose.

Cynthia

Leave her alone. She has gone through so much as a child and as an adult. She is talented and still has the music in her. She isn't a failure or washed up. She's a human being sitting outside, who happened to be recognized , and her pic snapped.

She is bipolar and had the guts to come forward and tell her story on Oprah, helping others,most whom she will never meet. She has recorded a new cd and it was produced by Daniel Lanois. She is currently touring to promote her cd. She has a right to be anywhere on the planet. !!!!

If by chance she reads this GOD Bless you. Hang in there my Sister. You are LOVED, and you have so much to share through your music . Take Care Sis.

Sharona

Hey Harvey,

Slow news day? Amy Whinehouse wasted (NO!!); Lohan shopping (OMG!); Dude gets drunk after Red Sox win (NEVER!); backpacks do something.......

When there is just nothing newsworthy of your very high journalism standards - be quiet.

Chris

Jay, you might not like the fact that she did it, but it was her right to do it. She didn't break any laws so she's not "wrong" in that sense. Also, in my opinion, even though both situations are horrible, it's far worse to think that your 8 year old might get molested by someone who is supposed to be a voice of God. Your statement is not accurate anyway, as most situations with teachers happen with children who are 13 and over. (Notice I said MOST) The situations are not exactly comparable.

And Sinead was ordained into the Independent Catholic Group, which has no affliation with Roman Catholics, and which allow women to become priests.

kim suck

HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE KILLING THE OZONE WITH THAT YOU BALD FREAK LEZZY~!

kim suck

SHE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND HER BREATH SMELLS OF ROTTEN TUNA!!

Boston Kate

F__ k the Pope and the whole catholic church; they are such a moneymaking sham.

AUNT DAR

IS SHE HIDING HER SMOKE,
OR IN SHOCK THAT HER PICTURE IS BEING
TAKEN AND SHE KNOWS SHE LOOKS LIKE HELL ? ....

YEAH, THAT'S GOT TO BE IT...
SHE DOESN'T STRIKE ME AS CARING WHO SEES HER SMOKING...
AS OUT SPOKEN AS SHE IS... SHE COULD CARE LESS IF SOMEONE SEES HER SMOKE...
BUT, WHAT WAS SHE SMOKING?
MAYBE THAT'S WHY SHE WAS HIDING IT....

Toria

According to the Internet, Ms. O'Connor did in fact become a priest but not as part of the Catholic Church. Instead she was ordained by a leader of the Tridentine order of Mater Dei. She then became Mother Bernadette Maria O'Connor. Later she was promoted to archdeacon. She has also claimed to be a Rastafarian. An, after two years at the College of Psychic Studies in London, she now claims to be a psychic medium. Sounds more like a nut case to me!

TEE JAY

I THOUGT SHE WAS A LESBIAN CATHOLIC PRIEST OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

Marsha

Why are we supposed to care?

Lori

She has done a lot of searching in her life. She has quite a few children so it seemed on Opera while she was in Ireland. Why is she in NY?? I give her credit battling with being bipolar and raising many children as well. Did she adopt or did she have them?

Linda

I bought her CD when she did the Nothing Compares to U song, which I really liked. I realized, however that that was the only song I liked, and I believe it was the only one she didn't write - Prince wrote that one.