Sinead Sneaks a Smoke

11/2/2007 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It is well-nigh two decades since Sinead O'Connor had her last hit record, "Nothing Compares 2 U," but the public pope-pic-ripper looks pretty much exactly as she did back in 1990. Mandinka!

TMZ snapped the singer in a park in the West Village, looking as surprised as anyone that she's still recognizable to cameramen -- who were wearing short pants when she was topping the charts. Nothing compares to that trademark buzz cut!

Thus surprised, Sinead tried to conceal her cancer stick, but to no avail.

webby

Hey Nissy! #22 - wow...you must be a very close personal "worker" for Sinead. Clearly not a friend...worker, because you'd have to get pretty close to know what her breath smells like. what an idiot.

Joy

Brittany spears in the future. Sinead O'Connor is the ugliest person ever. The cig cried when she smoked it.

H L C Van Layden

WHAT IS IT WITH SMOKING & TODAYS ABSURB SOCIETY ??? I DO NOT SMOKE BUT GOOD LORD I FEEL SO SORRY FOR ANYONE WHO DOES SMOKE !!! THE BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS TREAT SMOKERS LIKE LEPERS OR CRIMINALS !!!!! THERE ARE WORSE THINGS OUT THERE IN THE WORLD THAN SMOKING A CIGARETTE !!!!! SO SOCIETY--GET A GRIP-- !!!!!!!!

allythom

And we are worried about Sinead and her smoking WHY? I am so sick of people making such a big deal over smoking. I quit smoking, but people should have the freedom without everyone slipping out.

vg

Who cares if she ripped up a picture of the pope? Who cares if she smokes? She
made a point that noone took the time to understand. I like her music, she is a wonderful
talent. The Catholic church obviously has some problems and she shed light on that.

karen

SO WHAT IF SHE SMOKES, SHE IS A BIG GIRL-----THE CHOICE IS HERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheena

What I cant believe is howcome nobody has even mentioned the fact that Sinead is singing reggae now. She has a new cd out. Actually it came out last year. It is so good. You wouldnt even believe it is her singing. I was shocked. I didnt think it would sound good, but when I heard it I was blown away. So all those reggae fans google sinead and reggae keywords and check it out. I am an advid vintage reggae fan. You can see my page at myspace.com/vintagereggae. Hope you like. Oh and for the dumb people who keep saying she is played out. You are actually the ones who are played out. She is huge in the reggae industry and sells records by the thousands in Europe and Canada.

Pam

Not my business, but, seriously everyone should quit smoking. And, I can't even believe I am responding to this, cause, what Sinead does is not my business, either. Nor, do I care.

wah

Schools don't cover up and bury these sex abuse claims to the extent the Catholic Church did/does. I'm not saying schools haven't covered it up, but they don't conceal and have to pay out like the Catholics do.

Catholics are some of the most hypocritical religeous sheep anywhere. Maybe we should send convicted kiddy abusing priests to Iran for reprogramming. And then maybe the pope will have a talk with Les Moonves about getting Julie Chen some hooters. There's the real crimeagainst humanity.

Dan

Wow TMZ caught her with a cigarette! You would think it was heroin.

Lane

Psychotic, untalented, attention seeking wannabe. What has she done in the last 20 years that was a significant contribution to the music world? Go home, get a life and do something with that damn hair, geezzz....

greg

here is a thought. if its a slow news day, take a friggin nap and dont waste time with stupid stories like this that are just pointless. thanks!

Dino

So what? Who cares that she smokes? I don't understand how this is relevant.

Shirley

Why are we even reading about this has-been???

me

She was on Oprah smoking, so I seriously doubt she was trying to hide from TMZ. This isn't news at all.