Oprah Faces Press in School Scandal

11/5/2007 10:37 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey just told the press that the recent abuse charges at her South Africa school has been "one of the most devastating, if not the most devastating experience, of my life."

The talk show queen just gave a live press conference, apologizing for the alleged sexual abuse at The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, but O remained positive by saying, "No one can destroy the dream I have held, and each girl continues to hold, at the school."

A dorm matron at the Academy was suspended on October 17 and was later arrested on assault, indecent assault and soliciting under-age girls to perform indecent acts. The matron, Virginia Mokgobo, was released today on bail.

Allred Tree

Oprah Winfrey paid Stedman millions of dollars to keep his mouth shut when they broke up. She has threatened those who were going to write books about her. Just what is she hiding? It is high time someone, the FBI perhaps, look into and investigate Oprah Winfrey.

Each and every parent of these girls should sue Oprah for the damage she has caused. Something should have been done when the very first complaint was made but Oprah ignored it and just made a few trips in order to try to hush everything up! This is her MO just like she does at Harpo! OPRAH WINFREY HAS LOTS TO HIDE!!!!

Allred Tree

Oprah, the Queen of Pigs, is simply using these girls as her own personal guinea piglets in her social experiment that she hopes culminates in a shrine to herself. Why is Oprah Winfrey now getting involved with You Tube? She needs to move to Africa and live on the premises of that "school."

Woody McBreairty

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THIS WOMAN FLAUNTING HER PERSONAL LIFE AND PRIVATE PROBLEMS IN PUBLIC I COULD SCREAM. WHO CARES ABOUT HER PROBLEMS AT HER SCHOOL IN AFRICA? THAT IS UP TO HER TO DEAL WITH. WE HAVE OUR OWN PROBLEMS WITH SCHOOLS IN THIS COUNTRY THAT ARE DIRTY AND UNEQUIPPED AND FALLING OFF THEIR FOUNDATIONS. TEACHERS ARE UNDERPAID AND THE SCHOOLS IN AMERICA ARE SO BAD AND UNDERFUNDED THAT THEY TEACHERS ARE TRYING TO BUY BETTER SUPPLIES FOR THEIR STUDENTS WITH THEIR OWN MONEY!!! STUDENTS IN AMERERICAN SCHOOLS ARE SHOOOTING AND KILLING EACH OTHER! SOME ARE CONTROLLED BY GANGS AND OTHER THUGS. THE HORRENDOUS STATE OF AMERICAN SCHOOLS AND THIER PROBLEMS ARE BEING IGNORED AND UNADDRESSED WHILE EVERYONE LISTENS TO OPRAH WINFREY ONCE AGAIN PUBLICLY MOAN AND GROAN ABOUT HER PAIN AND MISERY WHILE MOST PEOPLE WITH CLASS DEAL WITH THEIR OWN PERSONAL PROBLEMS AND AFFAIRS IN PRIVATE AND WITH SOME SEMBLENCE OF
DIGNITY AND DON'T HAVE THE "OH LOOK AT POOR ME, I AM SO HURT AND UPSET AND HAVE SO MUCH TO DEAL WITH AND I ONLY HAVE TWO BILLION DOLLARS TO DO IT WITH" LIKE OPRAH WINFREY. I CAN NO LONGER STAND THIS WOMAN AND I WISH SHE WOULD JUST GO ABOUT DOING HER "GOOD WORKS" AND SHUT THE HELL UP!

Woody McBreairty

Woody McBreairty

MNelson

I used to really like Oprah and of course I am sincerely grateful that she uses some of her wealth for good. However, I simply stopped watching her show when she became the authority on everything... even talking over those she invited to discuss on the given subject. Her ego is HUGE and supremely boring. Finally, when she states, "one of the most devastating, if not the most devastating experience, of my life." Her life? HER life? Oh please... these evil actions, whatever they may be, did not happen to HER. Yawn.

del

Where was Dr. Phil when Oprah was completely restricting the girls' contact with the outside world? She made it impossible for them to ask for help when she banned their speaking to their families or emailing.

PEACE

HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE...FOR ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT HER.

LET'S SEE 26 MILLION LAST YEAR....LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

Barbara

Watched her on the "news". Good Lord, where isn't this mess? She spoke about her pain and walking from room to room when she heard the news. Her statement "I am a Momma Bear..." "My children" They are not your children. Seems as though they were "bought"(is that why she said "my children?" and taken from their families to give them a better life. Well, Oprah's vision of a better life and offering poor people this "opportunity" to be - what - "just like her?" A female leader, wealthy, black, etc. Sounds like she bought a school full of clones (at least trying to make them clones) Being called Mother Oprah, or whatever....I wonder if it is a sign of respect or just something she wanted. Why do I have a feeling this is going to wind up being one of those places that was very expensive, that sits abandoned as a monument to someone's ego. Motivation for good works is always important. Mother Theresa lived amongst those she served. I'm sure without the red carpet, personal chefs and trainers (and still packin' on the pounds) being treated like a "star" whatever that is(getting too much money and attention for your own good) she would NVER life in Africa. She reminds me of the credit card hippies. Lots of bucks walking around in drudgy garb, playing the role. This will unfold and we will all get to see how much more is under the facade of the Academy. What ever happened to the book her father was going to write????

Allred Tree

Oprah exaggerates her poor upbringing and does not deserve to have one more penny as long as she lives. This PIG/SLUT has more than enough.

She disgusts me and I can't wait till the real truth about this fraud comes out. Why doesn't she give back to the community where she went to school if she was so poor and the poor schools in Chicago that made her the unworthy wealthy glutton she is today?

I'd like to see someone like Bill Cosby speak out against Oprah - at least I would like to hear his opinion of her school.

Allred Tree

Barbara are you kidding? Oprah makes these girls call her Mother Oprah? OMG she must really be insane. She is taking advantage of the poor parents who she kept away from their children and now has them calling her mother??? Mother F_cker would be more appropriate.

PEACE

Oprah Winfrey
Rank: 1
Net Worth (in $ millions): 1,500
Age: 52
Marital Status: single
Kids: 0
Reared in poor, rural Mississippi, Oprah today is the richest woman in entertainment and the only black female billionaire. In the late 1980s, following the debut of her super-successful syndicated talk show, Oprah earned $2 million a year. Today, she pockets an estimated $225 million annually from TV (including shows starring Dr. Phil McGraw and Rachael Ray, produced by Oprah's Harpo Productions), satellite radio, magazines and other multimedia endeavors

PEACE