Kanye West's

Mother Dies --

A Mystery

11/11/2007 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Kanye WestKanye West's mother, Dr. Donda West, 58, has died. Multiple reports indicate that Dr. West's death may have been a result of complications from some sort of surgery.

Kanye was in London when he was told. He is on his way back to the U.S.

West often spoke about the close relationship he shared with his mother. Dr. West worked as the Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University before retiring to become her son's manager.

Kanye's mom was the CEO of West Brands, LLC at the time of her death. She was also Chair of the Kanye West Foundation.

Kanye's writing partner, Rhymefest, confirmed Dr. West's death on Chicago radio station 107.5 WGCI, calling her a "mother for the community and a mother for one of Chicago's greatest heroes."

Calls to Kanye's management were not immediately returned.

More Today in TMZ History

Radical Free Agent

What's really sad is the spelling #3 used in expressing sentiments:

3. That's a terrible shame. R.I.P. Dr. West. Condolsences to Kanye and his family.

p1tey1

I know what its like to loose your mother. I wish Kanye and his family all the best during this trying time.

crus

#39, a human being? that's a bit of a stretch, don'y ya think?

Alexis

Wow to all the negative comments that the last few people posted in someone's time of sadness please believe you will get yours because the things you all are saying are totally disrespectful and shows you will never have any type of class. And to hope someone died a painful death is the worse statement you can make about someone else loved one. So I pray you will soon realize that what you all said is very wrong and karma will hurt when it comes back to you.

NAS

Kanye,
Bless you at this time.
My meditations will be focused on your ability to rise to this moment as your Mother would have you do.
NAS

ivana jerchough

So what. He can afford another one.

Kayla

Omgssh, I feel so sorry for Kanye.

Him and his family will be in my prayers

Rest In Peace Dr. West

Carolyn

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I really never cared much for a lot of the Rap music, but when I heard your Jesus Walk, sound that was something I could identify with. Just remember during this time Jesus is still walking with you.

Dee Gant

#42 you must have been born in a cage and birthed by animals. Your comment is beyond the pale and completely insensitive. This guys mother passed, Kanye, the son, the man will be grieving, not the celebrity. You are utterly ridiculous.

Dawn

It is a tragic lost, whenever someone loses a loved one. My prayers and thoughts are with the West family. God bless them.

$$$$$$$

Death
Life is something we should appreciate and adore
because there comes a time in life our services are not needed anymore.

A time in life when we are the next step closer
and if you have done what He asked, the struggle is over.

A time when one passes from this world to another--
a time when we lose a family member, friend or lover.

This has been happening long before our existence,
but some think it's a joke until they are convinced.

A time in life that we rejoice and have sorrow, so we
must change our wicked ways,
because that time can come tomorow.

To have on pass away can leave you emotionally scarred,
but you must maintain your composure and keep your faith in God.

So we must stop the hate and seek forgiveness for our sins,
because whether you know it or not,
death is what we must face in the end.

Written by my son Joseph Lee Alexander/ aka: Lil' Joe
Murder on December 27, 2005

May God keep you and your family strong.
You are one of his favor, don't forget
We have more generations in Heaven then on earth

CaliFan

Man! The most saddest and hardest thing to go through. I will mos def keep him & his fam in my prayers. Stay up Kanye!

Radical Free Agent

p.s. to the Wests: Ph D.s do not use the title 'doctor'. That's customary only if one has an M.D. An advanced academic degree does not a doctor make.

If mom was so great at English, I wonder why the son struggles so much with the language?

Sunshine

Condolsences. I am so sorry for your lost.

bagina

only lawyer on here- you, sir, are ignorant. it is indeed customary and appropriate for a phd to use the title 'doctor'. besides, what does that have to do with this thread about her passing? show a little respect and keep your mouth closed if you can't say anything nice.