Kanye West's

Mother Dies --

A Mystery

11/11/2007 6:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Kanye WestKanye West's mother, Dr. Donda West, 58, has died. Multiple reports indicate that Dr. West's death may have been a result of complications from some sort of surgery.

Kanye was in London when he was told. He is on his way back to the U.S.

West often spoke about the close relationship he shared with his mother. Dr. West worked as the Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University before retiring to become her son's manager.

Kanye's mom was the CEO of West Brands, LLC at the time of her death. She was also Chair of the Kanye West Foundation.

Kanye's writing partner, Rhymefest, confirmed Dr. West's death on Chicago radio station 107.5 WGCI, calling her a "mother for the community and a mother for one of Chicago's greatest heroes."

Calls to Kanye's management were not immediately returned.

More Today in TMZ History

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

miriam pierre

Kanye may your mother rest in peace, I am praying for you and your family good bless you!

Jus me

I love you Kanye and i am sorry to hear about your mom! I cant even imagine how you feel. All i can say is that everything will be alright because GOD is on your side. AND BELEIVE ME WHEN I SAY YOUR MOM IS IN A BETTER PLACE. LOVE YOU!

Roy Davila

Kanye , Donda is with Her Heavenly Father in His Kingdom. She is being Honored and shown her Mansion. She is Safe and Loved. Now show the World the great job she did raising her son and the man that You are. God Bless this New Beginning........
Roy & Elsa & Family

Tommie

This is really sad news for Kanye, because he and his mother were soo close. So I imagine that he is having a really hard time right now. My condolences to him and the West family. The only thing that confuses me is being that Donda West was an educator and a professor in her own right, you would tend to think that she would have raised Kanye in a way that he would have chosen a more positive career, other than rapping, while sometimes using distasteful lyrics. It just seems odd that a woman with her education and background, would have raised her son with a little more substance and values to where he would have chosen a more lucrative career.

EZ-MAK ENTERTAINMENT

Kanye we at EZ-MAK RECORDS & ENTERTAINMENT are sending our condolences and that we are sorry to hear of the terrible news. No one can replace the love a mother gives we know that right now you feel like your world is lost, but hold on stay strong keep your faith in the CREATOR of heaven and earth threw H.I.M all things is possible.

V! MC

Shining Star ~ Dr. West did in fact rear a son of great substance and obvious significance. From an early age, Kanye showed a proclivity for writing, poetry and music. Though he excelled in school and went to college to garner further study in the Arts, his intrinsic desire to produce and perform musically was undaunted. His strong poetic sense along with his musical competencies drew him toward the rap industry.

His mother initially objected to his desire and subsequent decision to quit school to pursue a career as a performer. They agreed that if he were not successful in 3 years that he would return to college. With Kanye’s drive, determination and dedication, we can honestly say…………and ‘the rest is His-Story!’

Like the name of his first multi-platinum release, "The College Drop Out", Kanye West followed his gifting and his passion to become the enormously successful music mogul that he is today.

The nuances of the Hip-Hop culture often cover up and perhaps somewhat corrode the brilliance of some of the artist. Much of Kanye's social consciousness comes from the intellect, insightfulness and integrity of his proud mother.

In short, sometimes we need to look at others with a broader lens to see them for who they truly are. You and Kanye share an identity...........he is most certainly a “shining star”.

Thank you for your provocative post.

My deepest condolences are extended to Kanye, his family and friends.

Tameacko Preston

God bless you and your family kanye! keep your head up

Love ya meeko

Zamir "Child of tha 4th Element!!!"

Hey Kanye.... my name is Zamir, another creative fellow V. Artist from South Chicago, which makes yaw already feel like long lost fam to me from the get go. Um anyway.... man dogg, I was really hurt & I'm also so soooo sorry to hear about ya mom passin!!! R.I.P. Dr. Donda West. I hope u holdin up, cuz I know 4 one, u were really close to ya mom as I am with mine, so, this also hurts me to know wut happen. I also have a close good friend who also just lost his mom the day right before urs, so yea, I know it's hard, but we must all try our best to move on in our lives the best way we can til that day we can meet & regroup with our lost love ones again. I do know, no matter wut, she will always be with u, watchin over u smilin, cuz she's still soooo proud of her son, for givin her the gift to see u live ya DREAMS!!! Any Good MoM would be proud to see that 4 their kids. She will always live on in u & in the hearts of all of us. God bless u & ya fam.

Zamir "Child of tha 4th Element!!!"

OshNooHav

First of all, let me say that I am deeply saddened by the loss of Kanye's mother, and my condolences goes out to him and his family. I recently loss my dad in July of this year and I understand how painful it is at this time, but hold your head and take as long as you need to mourn. God will do the rest in time He will heal your heart, mind and eventually your spirit and you will get through this; one day at a time, it will get better.

One Love,
OshNooHav

ashley smallman

Kayne, Please keep media at bay you deserve your privacy at a horrible time in your life.God be with you Kayne and your family at a time you need him most.R.I.P Dr.West

notasurprise

This is a sad situation that many people can take a lesson from. Dr. West died as a result of complications from having plastic surgery by a surgeon who, according to reports, has complaints as well as lawsuits filed against him. I believe he is also the host of a plastic surgery show on a major network.
When a person makes the decision to have surgery, it is VITAL that they investigate their surgeon BEFORE allowing them to perform surgery on you. It is your duty and your right to investigate your surgeon before-hand.
You can write your state board of medical liscense to find out more about how to investigate a doctor who you are thinking of using.

Pastor Nancy

I was saddedned to hear about the passing of your beloved mother/momanger
Hold on to the life lessons she taught you and the values she instilled in you.
My prayer warriors will continue to cover you in prayer,like a blanket.
Remember:Jesus walks,and He's able to be your Everlasting Consolation,and heal you everywhere you hurt. You are loved Kanye.

Paula Hamiltion

May God continue to be with u and your family.I'm praying for u Kayne. Paula from New Orleans, Louisiana

mike

this is very sad ive always been a big fan of kanye but i never thought of posting a comment
ive just lost my mother today and my world is crushed,if only i knew how hurtful or what a
big loss it is to loose your mother i would have posted a long time ago,i feel your pain kanye stay strong
brother