Donda West Warned About Surgery

11/12/2007 6:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that just weeks before Donda West died, a plastic surgeon refused to perform procedures on her because of a health condition that could have led to a heart attack.

We've learned Beverly Hills physician, Dr. Andre Aboolian, was set to perform a tummy tuck and breast reduction on Ms. West, but told her she needed to get clearance from an internist whom Dr. Aboolian recommended. We're told West never went to that doctor, and subsequently had the procedures performed -- but not by Dr. Aboolian.

Story developing ...

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Jazz

When I heard the news, I was devastated. My deepest sympathy is with Ye and his family.

Breezy

This is a terrible tragedy. I hope the docotor is found at fault for not following up with all of his paintents and recommendations.
I will pray for the WEST FAMILY!!!

mamatwice

My prayers are with Kanye and his family. Why are we now just hearing about all the behaviorial and personal problems of Dr. Adams? The most important thing now is that we all rally around Kanye because he will have to go on without (next to God) his number one supporter and guide; also remember the entire family and those of us who loved and will miss such an intelligent, strong, and beautiful woman.

sherry

My heart goes out to the family but we all must realize this happens quite often. Anytime you go under you are accepting some type of risk. He should have hired the tybo guy to do personal training. Would have paid off in the long run= no quick fixes

duff

I'm so, so sorry for this loss. My college aged daughter gave me a CD with Kanye's song, "Hey Mama" last year and told me it reminded her of how she felt about me. That was the best present I've ever had and I am grateful to Kanye and Dr. West for this. I am surprised at how some people are quick to judge and blame her for her own death when we couldn't begin to have all the information yet. It is a terrible tragedy and Kanye and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

A Friend from the Chi

Pale faces are the biggest haters that ever surfaced the planet! For years! Always have been! Always will be...! Nothing but love and respect for the West family. May GOD be with you all.

arlene thompson-abdou

Kanye,..14 years ago on November 11th,..my father passed and indeed i understand your pain,..may God be with you and your family! know that you were a very good son to her and you brought her alot of happiness and love,..keep on keeping on .

arlenethompson@bellsouth.net

shellyshell

R.I.P MS. DONDA WEST MY PRAYERS GO OUT 2 KANYE & HIS FAMILY. ALL WHO DONT HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE 2 SAY PLEASE DONT POST ANY DUMN ASS COMMENTS.. THAT GOES FOR # 9 THIS IS NOT ABOUT RACE. IT'S ABOUT A WOMEN P0SSIBLY CHOSING THE WRONG DR. 2 PERFORM SURGERY ON HER THAT IT. COME ON PEOPLE KANYE WEST JUST LOST HIS MOTHER LET'S POST COMMENTS THAT SUPPORT HIM. TALKING IGNORANT & JUDGING SOMEONE WITHOUT KNOWING THE FACTS IS NOT RIGHT. THAT'S WHY I SAID SHE (POSSIBLY) CHOSE THE WRONG DR. NOT FOR SURE.. KANYE WEST STAY STRONG UR REAL FANS SUPPORT U NO MATTER WHAT...

Injured Patient

LISTEN UP CALIFORNIANS!

1. The Medical Board of California should be held accountable for their Drug/Alcohol Diversion Program.
In every external audit of this Program over the last 27 years (there have been FIVE, and the Program has flunked all FIVE), independent auditors have found that the program does NOT do its job -- it does NOT adequately monitor physicians it knows to be addicted to drugs and alcohol. It does NOT adequately drug-test them. It does NOT have clear requirements for worksite monitors. And every single audit of this Program has found that the Medical Board has NEVER properly overseen or set standards for this Program. We patients cannot protect ourselves from participants in this Program, because we don't know who is in the Program – these doctors participate in secrecy. Even though the Medical Board voted to abolish the program in July 2007, the doctor’s who were currently in the program—remain.

2. The Medical Board of California does not require doctors to tell patients about the existence of the Medical Board and its enforcement role. There is no law that requires doctors to post a sign in their waiting room, or put a disclosure on their discharge instructions, or in any other way tell patients about the existence of the Medical Board. Why is it that our auto repair guy has to post a sign in his shop telling us about the Bureau of Automotive Repair, yet doctors are not required to tell US about the Medical Board?

3. The Medical Board of California should sponsor legislation requiring civil attorneys to inform malpractice victims how to file a complaint with the Medical Board. A Medical Complaint is filed by the patient, not an Attorney. This process has nothing to do with a lawsuit.

4. The Medical of California should sponsor legislation repealing or at least lengthening THEIR statute of limitations. Right now, their staff has to file charges against a doctor within 3 years of when staff finds out about a settlement, or within 7 years of the event that caused the problem. They cannot BOTH not tell us about the existence of the Medical Board and also BAR citizens from filing complaints when we finally find out about them!

5. The Medical Board of California should have a database for Complaints – have a data base where these cases are entered and given a case number, kicks out a warning when one physician has too many complaints, during a specified period of time. The Better Business Bureau keeps track of all complaints, why shouldn’t the Medical Board do the same.

6. The Medical Board of California should post every single malpractice settlement on their Website. Whether it’s for $2,000 or $200,000, and we don’t care if there are 3 or 4 or 10 settlements. They should post every single malpractice settlement on their Web site. Their job is to protect US, THE PATIENT, so give US the information and let US make the decision about who WE want to care for US. The board currently states that in malpractice settlements over $30,000, 4 or more in a 10-year period (beginning 1/1/03) if the physician practices in a high-risk specialty (obstetrics, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery and neurological surgery). 3 or more in a 10-year period (beginning 1/1/03) if the physician practices in a low-risk specialty (all other specialties).

7. The Medical Board of California should require doctors to have Medical Malpractice Insurance – make it mandatory for doctors to carry malpractice insurance (car dealers are required to be bonded, drivers are required to carry auto insurance as well as insurance for people who do not have insurance.)

8. The Medical Board of California should post every single criminal conviction against California doctors on their Website. The doctor who injured us has two DUI convictions --- neither of them have ever been posted on their Web site. Criminal convictions are public information. By concealing them from patients, the Medical Board appears to be protecting dangerous doctors.

9. The Medical Board of California should sponsor legislation creating a “Snitch Law” --- Physicians should be required to report to the Board other physicians who they know are abusing drugs or alcohol. Other professions have this requirement (for example, teachers and respiratory care practitioners)

10. The Medical Board of California should subject hospitals, medical facilities and individual physicians to steeper fines for not reporting a physicians in question.

THEY, the Medical Board does NOT post ALL relevant information about doctors on their website. THEY DON’T require doctors who are aware of substance-abusing doctors to file a report, THEY DON’T require anybody to tell US about THEIR existence, and then THEY punish US and other patients when THEY are not able to take action against dangerous doctors because WE

Frankie M

This is really sad, Kanye has lost his mother his best friend and the person that has guided him thru life to where he is today. But one thing I have to remember is that this is sick America where everything has to turn into a black white issue. This is not about Kanye and what he does in the music business, its about Ms West losing her life and the pain Kanye must be feeling. It has nothing to do with him Saying " Bush does not care about Black people nor his attitude which some of you say he has I see it as a man being confident in what he does. He was given a gift not everyone is mean't to have, don't hate appreciate. This is the worse time in any ones life to loose their Mom., rich or poor old or young we only get one . Also the standards that are put on women in America are also the blame. Skinny, To look what is not real for we all have flaws, hollywood is the blame you can but the blame in lots of places but it is our society Ms West was a very bright woman or she would have not achieve the things in life that she did how dare anyone imply that she was less than smart. One other thing is Dr Adams should have done a work up before he performed the surgery. But most people do get second opinions these days. I have always said if the good doctors report the bad ones (cause they know) it would be less medical malpractice suits. Here this man has a well watched TV Show and were just hearing about all of the malpractice suits. Whos really making the money. Some of you people are being very ignorant and insensitive, I'm amazed of the things that people will say thru the net or behind ones back if you put these Jack Asses in a room with that person they would'nt open their mouth, they more than likely would avoid looking at you thats how they play the game except in the dark in groups and where you can't see them nor get to them. Kanye I know how you feel for I lost my Mom in 2002 she wasn't sick or anything I think no notice death is the worst for those of us left behind especially if were not there with them when it happens. To you Kanye keep you're head up consider the source and pray for they know not what to say. You and the rest of you're family iare in our prayer . TMZ always want to be the first sometimes silence is golden. Harvey Harvey Harvey Money Money

BrownMecca

First of all I'd like to say that all the negativity needs to be saved for another date. Regardless of how you feel about Kanye. It's the worst kind of disrespect to be negative during the time of someone's loss. Put yourself in his place. I think it would be pretty hurtful. He's mourning the loss of the closest person in his life (besides God). Not that he really cares what you people think but, it's just out of respect for the deceased. Kanye I love you and I'm very sorry for your loss,especially since it was so unexpected. I'm sure there were so many things left unsaid. My heart goes out to you not as a star but as a person whose lost a loved one. May God give you a peace that surpasses all understanding, and a comfort that only he can give in a time such as this.

Nanette

This is so very sad, life is extremely fragile, you must handle your life with the utmost care people. RIP Dr. West. Gone too soon, you will be missed!!

Bonnie

I will pray for the West family.
I send my deepest Simpathy.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12