« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE

Takes CNN to the Mat

11/12/2007 4:21 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It's a case of "he said -- but you didn't get to hear it."

Quizzed by CNN about whether he has ever used steroids, pro wrestler John Cena quickly responded, "Absolutely not!" -- then offered nearly three minutes of follow up. But when CNN made its edit to their special, "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," Cena's response was replaced with: "People conceive things because performance enhancing drugs have got the spotlight. It's a hot thing to talk about. I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have."

Needless to say, the folks at World Wrestling Entertainment are pissed! They've posted the original, unedited video on their official website, along with the following response:

"In a country in which the news media is highly suspect, and the quality of unbiased reporting has been thrown into the trash can, CNN has stooped to new depths. Notwithstanding the fairness, or lack therein, of CNN's recent piece entitled "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," perhaps the best example of how CNN misrepresents and unfairly presents their biased, if not illegal, point of view is the comparison of WWE's unedited video above to CNN's edited version. CNN's depiction of John Cena as it relates to steroids is not only professionally and morally wrong, but damaging to his character." Now 'dems fightin' words!

UPDATE: A rep for CNN has issued the following statement: "CNN has reviewed the footage of Mr. Cena and additional video from that interview has been added to the program which aired in replays of the program on Sunday." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

blah blah freakin' blah

Thats just wrong!! He's HAWT!!!!!!!

Seriously though, instead of accusing a guy that performs for entertainment if he's juicin', why not start accusing some of these guys that get paid to play in a competition the outcome has not been pre-determined based on ratings (*hint*FOOTBALL PLAYERS)

boz

yea it is possible to get that big. i have a few friends, one close friend i worked out with for years together, and he wouldnt even eat a god dam cheeseburger from mcdonalds let alone shoot steroids in his ass. anybody can get big, of course dependin on your natural physique it will vary. im sure enough cena is that big regardless of steroid use or not

Donkeypuncher

It is 100% impossible to be his size without drugs. He's either using steroids or growth hormone or both.

2% MILK

. It is 100% impossible to be his size without drugs . HOW WOULD YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT, VIA DRUG TEST, HAIR SAMPLE, BLOOD, ETC. EVERYONE THINKS THEY CAN DO VISUAL DRUG TEST. PEOPLE BLAME PEOPLE FOR EVERYTHING.

John Cena & WWE Fan

I believe that some wrestlers may use steroids, but not all. To say that a person cannot get as big as Cena without steriods is wrong. Anyone can get that big or bigger if they are willing to put their mind to it and work out. For CNN, to change things around to make it seem as though Cena admitted to using steroids was wrong, I don't like to watch the news as it is because of B*llsh*t like this. Cena Rocks and I can't wait for him to get better and be back in the ring and I Love the WWE.

writergal

john cena is hottie WATCH THE MARINE.

College Gal

God, that is a good looking man. Makes you just want to jump on him and give it to him all night longggggggggggggggg. Wow! Whoever marries him is one lucky gal. If I were his wife he would have to give up wrestling because he would only be in the bedroom or another part of the house constantly. =) Watch before they were superstars.. it show is butt in a thong.. oh my! tastey! I would love to lick him all over.

Cristina

While it was wrong for CNN to skew the facts in regards to Cena's interview, let's face some other facts - Vince McMahon and WWE are well-aware that a great majority of their performers take steriods and/or performance enhancing drugs. It's just recently that they decided to start posting the names of wrestlers who have violated their policies because since Chris Benoit's death, they have been under the microscope with regards to the steroid / illegal substance issue.

Vince McMahon is about as disgusting an animal as you can get and he does not care about the effects that drug use and painful schedules have on his performers. It's all about money to him - he's sick.

Speaking of sick - the media isn't much better. It's all controlled by the government and we hear what they want us to hear.

America - Land of the free, home of the ignorant (but not by choice).

Patty

25, Meredith,

Did you watch the video?

If you had, you would have heard the line in context and it would have made much more sense. He is saying that no matter what he says, how many tests he passes, etc. people still accuse him of it anyway (as they are here). You are buying into what CNN wants you to. Please listen to the unedited version.

Trisha

This is so typical of CNN. Anyone know who the reporter was?
I'm glad they have finally been caught on something.

Trisha

Michelle

You don't understand TMZ's point? The point is, idiot, CNN claims to be a NEWS service, meaning they report FACTS. Editing a video so that it SEEMS to support your personal views is not NEWS. Once upon a time, that was considered libel. Now, I guess CNN calls it journalism.

tetoria

I'm a Cena fan, I support ya,two thumbs up ,if he passed test so what.Let it go it can't be proved if he did or did not. Without proof. you have no case

Derek

GEEE...CNN editing audio and video in bizarre ways to make a story where there ISN'T one--who would have thought. Yeah, from the lines of the "quality" news work who has been making a habit of this lately...I wish someone big would launch a huge lawsuit and really play them out publically for the news they make up.

Josh

------------------
Post 18 said:
John Cena was actually BIGGER when he was wrestling in UCW in California and Ohio Valley, Cena is not abnormally big, but he is ridiculously legit strong, Anyone who can lift 500 lb wrestlers up, hold them up for a period of time, then send them flying with his finisher the F-U. Cena's name has never come up ever in talks about steroids or any performance enhancers, and it is possible he got his size legitimately. Cena has been training for wrestling since he was a teenager, so I'll take his word at face value that he is clean
-----------------

While this doesnt have anything really to do with this news story, nor does it take away Cena's "Legit Strength"... I was an Amateur wrestler in college.. plus I have a family member that is a firefighter.. and I've known for a long time that the Fireman's carry is the easiest way to carry/hold someone up (In a rescue situation) And that is basically what cena's move is.. a fireman's carry into a slam.. here is what wiki says about this hold...

The FACtion

It doesn't matter if he said absolutely not or hell yeah I take steroids...just take a look at how the guy is built and the whole interview of what he said: "I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have." The man is on the juice and using masking agents...he can't wrestle and he shouldn't of been in the WWE's top spot for that long! I'm Glad Cena Got Hurt! The shows have been so much better without him! I hope he stays gone for a long time!

-The FACtion