Donda West -- Big Trouble on the Table?

11/13/2007 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources tell TMZ Donda West's operation lasted eight hours -- twice as long as it should have. We're told Dr. Jan Adams began the operation Friday morning and finished Friday evening. He then sent Ms. West home, rather than to a recovery center, which we're told, would have been appropriate.

Several doctors at Centinela Hospital where West was taken, tell TMZ they believe the excessive amount of time it took to perform the procedure strongly suggests either something went wrong during the operation or the doctor was just too inexperienced.

We're told she was dead the next evening at her home before paramedics arrived.

What's more, Dr. Adams is not Board Certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

tryn-to-educate

#76 Tony,

People that are unqualified to be in a important professions come in all colors, not just minorities

Ms. Pearl

This is truly sad, however from the time Ms.West was conceived, this is how she was destined to die. She has done something we all will have to do. We should lift Kanye and all families who are grieving the loss of a love one in our prayers. Life is full of shoulda, coulda, woulda but we have no control over when our life on earth is over.

scooter butt

He is licensed to practice medicine. You do not have to be board certified, it's just one measure to help insure quality. You don't even have to do a residency in that field. ANY physician can do plastic surgery, that's why there's so many gynecologists doing liposuction. Money, money, money

slm

I work in a plastic surgeon's office, and this story is VERY misleading. The time they say makes them beleive soemthing went wrong, is false.
If what she was having done, was a tummy tuck & a breast lift, those surgeries can last up to 8 hours.
But if it was just a tummy tuck, with lipo, they last 5 hours. And the breast lift takes up to 3-4 hours. So that time line fits, IF the stories are correct in what they are reporting she had done. They just want to sell the story. If you don't believe me, please call your local Plastic Surgeon, and ask.
Each plastic surgeon is different. My doctor sees the body as a sculpture. So he takes his time on any surgery he does.
With any elective surgery there are guidelines.
And one being obtaining medical clearance. If it's true she had an heart ailment, then she was to receive cardiac clearance to be cleared for anesthesia. The anesthetist has to see it before surgery.

My heart goes out to Kanye and his family during this time, HOWEVER, if she was told she needed this clearance FIRST, and then chose to go to another dr, and failed to mention this ailment, then it also falls onto her shoulders. Vanity kills, and in this case, she - may have - disregarded the dr's orders. Taking her life in her own hands.

I still don't understand why they wouldn't have requested cardiac clearance, mainly due to her age. Here, it's REQUIRED to have in the chart BEFORE the surgery.

When it comes to Plastic Surgery, you should find a trustworthy doctor, and do your research!
Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they refuse to answer, LEAVE!!

slm

Daisy - most elective surgeries are outpatient.
You go home afterwards.
We send our patients home once they make it out of recovery.

JaimeNTexas

90. Black Woman, you can't do everything white people do and the death of Kanye's mom is another reason not to.What was so bad about her body that a little change in diet and excercise couldn't fix. Pathetic. This woman was a successful pillar in the community before any of us ever heard of Kanye, but she started hanging with hollywood types and chasing white perceptions of physical perfection and now look at her. Didn't we learn from Michael Jackson, Lil Kim and the rest. BLACK PEOPLE, stop letting these white people convince you that you are not beautiful. You're supposed to have a little flab here or there at here age. And why wait til 50 plus to straighten your titties? For who? The MILF man?
This is a damn shame! I bet we never listen to "Throw some D's on that bitch" the same way again.

Posted at 12:45PM on Nov 13th 2007 by Geezy

Firstly Geezy, I get where you're coming from. As one of the smaller sisters of the world, I've never had the inkling to go under the knife for anything. Like my grandmother always said. "Black Don't Crack" right. But in defense of Miss Donda, she probably thought she was a lil chunky and got lazy and didn't feel like dieting the healthy way. Plus she could throw money at her weight problem. Which is a mistake a lot of us with money make. It's not just Dr. West, its a lot of our women. I was astounded when I heard it was related to plastic surgery. Why? Cause that's just something the generation that Miss Donda came from didn't do and wasn't going to do... My mother who is also 58 was like...wth was she thinking about Plastic Surgery for in the first place....If that was me, I woulda sat back and let you take care of me. And gave two s**ts about what my body looked like." I wouldn't have let her have plastic surgery. I wasn't going to finance no bs like that. Now a trip to wherever the heck she felt like going in the world...that would be something different. (I'm implying that I have Kanye's money which I don't but if I did,,,oooooooohhI'm sure Kanye didn't know what was going on. You know how OUR mothers are. Don't condemn her, whatever her reasons. That doctor should have refused her surgery. He had a responsibility to her and his profession. More then likely she was diabetic and had high blood pressure. Not to mention that they believe she had a heart problem to. Kanye needs to wait on the autopsy and see what killed his mother then take proper action. If that means Dr Jan has to get hogtied and ran outta town then thats what it is.

Cindy

I am a patient of Dr. Adams. And I have had a very pleasant experience with him. He is kind, gentle and listened to what I wanted. Would I use him again? YES!

I am thrilled with my breast augmentation. Thank you Dr. Adams! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Lila

I'm sorry, but if several doctors told me I wasn't well enough to undergo the surgery I wouldn't keep trying until I found one that would. That's probably why they told her no, because they didn't want things to end up like they did. Sometimes looking better is worth dying for.

toomanydoggies

Ladies keep the wrinkles and flabby belly. So what if the men don't want you anymore, you can always come over to TMZ and gossip with the rest of us.

Denise Phi;lly-H-burg Connect

God Bless and keep you , Kanye through this difficult time. I was stunned when my son called and told me. I do not have my mother any more either. This is something that can make or break you, God Jesus God Jesus etc. The negative one wants youy. If He can not get to you , it will get to someone close. I pray that you are able to come up out of this. Go through what you have to go through. Like it or not you are being perpared for the fight of your life. God needs striong soldiers. Though nothing will be the same, It gets more bearable with time. Long live what is right and down with this rotten system.

MelB

#30 (Bliss)
I don't think Jesus would agree with you.

You sound like a typical Catholic: "I can do whatever I want as long as I ask for forgiveness later." Like you didn't know vanity was a so-called "sin" before you had your surgeries?

How dare you judge another woman based on your own religious beliefs, calling her a glutton? You don't know why she was overweight--weight gain is sometimes due to certain medical conditions.

I have no hope for the world as long as ignorant persons such as yourself continue to hold on to their judgemental views.

Smthg to think ab

I wonder why people automatically assume Dr. West was being vain or trying to fit in or smthg. Have you guys ever thought that the surgery, at least the breast reduction (if that is in fact what she had), might not have been entirely elective? Women with large breast typically have back and shoulder problems. Those problems are not always so minor that they could be easily alleviated by tylenol, advil, etc. I have known women whose PCP (primary care physician) strongly recommend breast reduction to fix problems that result from their breast being too large and heavy. You know those deep indentures that are almost cuts in some large-breasted women's shoulder? They are the result of the bra straps cutting into her skin b/c her breast are too large and heavy. Before we all pass judgment on a situation we really don't know anything about, maybe we should wait until the investigation reports are released and provide us with the full and complete story.

As for those ppl who think this was the Dr.'s mistake b/c he is black...come on!! Please don't show the ignorance that still exists in some ppl in America. A Dr. is a Dr. When an ER Dr. comes in to save your life one day, I'm sure you're not going to tell him you don't want his help b/c he's black, indian, asian, etc. In the end, the Dr.'s actions come down to whether he was negligent judged by the standard of care in the medical community; not whether the American public sees his actions as negligent.

darryl

Take a moment an say a prayer for this young man and his mother the mistake has been made . They need our prayers Now.

jsol

Unfortunately or Fortunately which ever way you want to look at it, Plastic surgery is a person's option. I worked for a Health Care Institution in the Credentialing Department and Plastic Surgery is performed everyday by experienced Board Certified Surgeons, with good results, this is so unfortunate and such a tragedy. I feel sorry for her family as well as other families that may have went though something like this, but we never hear about it.

All I can say is if it is true that she was told not to do this or to get clearance and she never did; unfortunely she made the ultimate wrong decision. It is not required for all surgeons to have a board certificate, that's something the patient should look for and require that the surgeon have it. But I must say that if this Doctor lyed about having it, and the hospital that supposed to have credentialed him did not check for it, that hospital should be totally liable and should compensate her family to the upmost.

rightbackatyou

Hey- 5.g--maybe you could proofred (as in proof-r-e-a-d) your [own] statements before posting?

as they say, before you pluck the splinter out of another person's eye, you may want to pull the LOG out of your own...