Donda's Surgeon -- I'm the Victim of "Sleaze"

11/13/2007 1:18 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Plastic surgeon Dr. Jan Adams has told TMZ that he was the doctor who performed cosmetic surgery on Kanye West's mother Donda before she died.

Dr. Adams told TMZ her death, which followed a tummy tuck and breast reduction, was unforeseen and could have been caused by a heart attack, pulmonary embolism, or massive vomiting.

Dr. Adams tells us West consulted with him over a period of four months. He says she changed her mind numerous times, sometimes greenlighting the surgery and sometimes halting it.

As for the TMZ report that Beverly Hills doctor Andre Aboolian refused to conduct the surgery because of a medical condition that West had, Dr. Adams said of Dr. Aboolian, "He is sleazy and manipulating the truth to elevate his own importance."

Dr. Adams says he did nothing wrong.

ty

Looks like most of you don't watch Discovery Health. Dr. Adams is a prominent top notch Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, Harvard educated. He's not a quack . And for all the stupid remarks about the picture, this picture wasn't taken as an adjunct to this story. It's a great happy picture. I am sorry Donda died so young but things do happen. Some people have died after having a tooth pulled . For the remark not believing one could die from vomiting-too much vomiting could result in dehydration leading to electrolyte imbalances leading to heart arrythmia. His program is all about choosing the right doctor, telling the truth about your history etc.. I think the one guy is right that once deceased HIPPA doesn't apply. But some of you are lambasting this man without knowing a thing about him. You're on a computer. For cripes sake, look it up.

Mariah

Ignatius reilly: Maybe jan is pronounced "yawn" like the composer Jan Hammer (the guy that did Miami Vice theme, etc. He could be of foreign parents or whatever. Then again, it could just be Jan the old-fashioned way like Jan-Michael Vincent. Just thought I'd throw that out there.....

Dog Chapman

I wouldn't let that greasy grinning bag of guts make me a sandwich, let alone perform surgery on me.

Terry

# 51Diamond

who is the dummy who came onto TMZ and got all worked up about some
comments? After all you said yourself this is just a gossip site yet
you seem to be the one most emotionally wraped up tight here.
Why come here and worry about what this site is saying?
You reduce the importance of those who visit and post on TMZ then whine it has to power to destroy doctor's rep!. What world are you from? Mad Hatter's?
No one forced the doctor to make a statement! Expect replys Idiot!

areyoukiddingme

At this point no one knows what caused her passing. It may very well be that the Dr. did nothing wrong, but his defensive response doesn't paint him in a positive light at all.

I just cannot believe that a Harvard educated, renowned professional would resort to using to name calling and using the term "sleazy" to address another physician. He may have felt the need to respond (and may have been right to), but I can think of many other ways that he could have done so with class, professionalism and compassion. He seems to be solely focused on himself and not at all on the fact that a woman died.

the other woman

If he knew about her medical condition then he is at fault. So what if he comes out on some show that does not make him a good doctor. He saw BIG CASH!! and took
a risk with a women's life that is WRONG. I applaud Dr Andre Aboolian for saying NO.

Dr Adam didn't do his job it's that simple!!!!

Mariah

Thank you, ty. I agree. My boss is a retina specialist and lost a patient during a routine eye surgery of all things. The lady had a heart attack post-surgery. They hadn't even wheeled her to recovery yet and she was not under general anesthesia. Just a little Versed in her I.V. to make you a little "loopy" and relaxed during the procedure. The coroner reported she simply had a heart attack. There was no rhyme or reason. He actually mentioned she was lucky she was already at the hospital and not driving her car or taking a bath or somewhere nobody would find her. She had the best doctors and nurses who tried desperately to revive her but to no avail.

Maybe this doctor is in the wrong, maybe not. Sometimes these things just happen. I just don't think we should crucify the guy just yet until the autopsy is performed.

LAME

ty - name one person who died from a tooth extraction! Idiot

Judy

There is a certain amount of risks associated with any surgery, or even routine tests. People are not fully informed of the possible risks involved. I don't know what her medical conditions were, but I would think she would have been more closely monitored than the average patient. And for those who are concerned about privacy, that ends upon the patient's death, although I would think it would be more prudent of the physician to keep quiet.

lori

He should have seriously evaluated that lady to make sure she could handle surgery.
Excessive vomiting ? What the hell ? A doctor can help with that ! Embolism ? They could do blood tests to see if her risk factor was high {some people have a higher tendency for blood clots}. For instance, before putting my daughter on birth control pills, our doctor first ordered a blood test to see if my daughter's blood was the sort the would coagulate excessively { in other words, is the pill dangerous for my daughter, or is she very unlikely to experience any trouble...? My doctor is checking on that first. Because she's smart and she cares !!!! }.
Yes sometimes "doctors" go after just the money....I hope his mother didn't die due to negligence and a lazy attitude from this guy.

Lillian

I am really very sorry to hear about Kanye West's mother; but doctors now a days are only thinking of the money. Where one doctor uses his ethics wisely another sleaze ball is sitting in the background rubbing his hands together. Unfortunately a great life was lost because of it. I pray that the family find the comfort they seek.

Terry

I'm not sure what more facts people want, it's pretty simple and clear what happened. Maybe they are not the facts some want to hear.
It's sad and her son & family must be devastated.

ty

know of what you speak before you speak it: took 2 minutes to get this info.

Jan Adams, M.D., is a ground-breaking plastic surgeon and author of Everything Women of Color Should Know About Cosmetic Surgery.
Dr. Adams graduated with honors from Harvard University and attended Ohio State University College of Medicine.

His postgraduate medical training included a general surgery residency at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, where he was chief surgical resident.

He studied plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Michigan. In addition, Dr. Adams was the first university-trained aesthetic plastic surgeon in the United States, having been UCLA's first Fellow in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in 1992. He has also served as a clinical instructor in plastic and reconstructive surgery at UCLA School of Medicine

mat2

Both of these so called doctors are sleazy, not to mention unethical. Even a dead patient has a right to privacy. Hope the California Medical Board reads TMZ.

DJB

So sad.....Goes to show you that money can't always buy the BEST... So important to check your Dr's out first... R.I.P.