Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...


No Avatar


Overdosing on heparin makes blood ooze through the walls of the veins and arteries and you die of internal bleeding. Most likely the babies are having multiple brain hemorrhages, i.e. strokes. If they make it (that's a BIG if), they'll most likely be severly brain damaged.

Btw, anticoagulants, like heparin, are also used as rat poison.

2498 days ago


This is the saddest news I've read in a long time :(

2498 days ago


OMG! This is serious news. Now certain people want the race war again! Oh, hell no!
These are new born babies. Someone made a terrible mistake. Why not pray for the
Quaid Family and stop all the other bull....! For once stop madness!

Dennis our prayers go our to you and your wife and the babies. May the good lord help
you throught this.

2498 days ago


Um, #9, racist much?

And just to get you thinking (if that's even possible), you might want to look this up on the net: Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor UCLA Hospital in South Central Los Angeles.

2498 days ago


This is absolutely horrifying........prayers going out to them, and the other patients (and their families) who where effected.

2498 days ago


Pray Pray Pray for a recovery of the two babies.
If TMZ didn't report the story fewer people may be praying for the babies.
Thank you TMZ
Pray Pray Pray
and THEN
Highlight the complete and utter stupidity of every person involved in making this disgusting, awful, heart wrenching mistake.

2498 days ago


My mother, who lives in Louisiana, had this happen to a friend who DIED. They accidently gave her a massive overdose of Heparin. Her family sued the hospital and won a million dollars. This happened about twelve years ago in Monroe, LA.

2498 days ago


SURELY, you guys will keep the cameras out of their faces during this terrible time. Seriously.

2498 days ago


OMG this is horrible! I hope and pray the babies survive with no ill effects. The Quaid's should sue the pants off the hospital. The nurse grabbed the medication without loking? What kind of nurse is he or she? The nurse should have double checked the dosage before giving it to the twins. There is no excuse for this happening. I hope this person is fired. This mistake could have cost those babies their lives.

2498 days ago

Jennifer Bouldack    

This is beyond horrible. I can't find the words. I know Dennis Quaid and his wife are not reading TMZ right now, but I hope they learn one day that many people were horrified by what they are going through and that many people were/are praying for them.

God with your family.

2498 days ago


This has happened before. Babies die from this all the time. The adult dose is "accidently" stored in neonatal. I found this story on the FoxNews website. This is a total nightmare for anyone. TMZ you have a responsiblity to the family to be accurate in your reporting of this story. If the medical staff is leaking this, then SHAME on them. Here's the other story I found. Three babies were given adult dose two of them died!!!,2933,214738,00.html

2498 days ago


OMG, what a nightmare! My prayers are with Dennis and his wife. My brother had life and death surgery at Cedar Sinai and he had the best care in the world. Just goes to show you mistakes can happen anywhere at anytime. God bless the family.

2498 days ago


Oh, how tragic. I have worked medmal law here in LA and Cedars really was rarely one of the careless, but it does happen and it's saddening to see that they are now part of the trend that is so bad in this county. But, most importantly is how very very tragic for all the victims and especially these little babies who haven't even had a chance at life. I pray all will be well. Please continue to update this story. As a parent I can't even imagine their anguish at this.

2498 days ago


Nurses are professionals in their own rights. When my baby was in the NICU, I saw how amazing and special nurses can be.

My deepest prayers are with the Quaids. I hope these little babies pull through. You will be in my prayers.

2498 days ago


I wonder why the twins were still in the hospital if they were born No. 8th. Were they premies?

2498 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web