Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

HARDY-HAR-HAR

GASP!

Something needs to be done about these "mistakes." People aren't paying attention and this happens all the time. When you're giving someone medicine, especially fragile little newborn babies, you need to check, recheck and then check again! Nothing should be routine.

We'll be praying for his babies and all the kids who were injured by this.

Tangie

Nurses and Doctors nowadays only care about a paycheck. They have no real regard for human life. I hope they all lose their jobs, and go to prison!

Terry

kidney failure would be one side effect. They are very fortunate to have caught the mistake in time. I'm sure they will be ok. What a night mare for the parents.

To # 13 by um " Kevin ". You took the time to check into this web site to read, and post, The fact that we learned of this should not bother you to much.
The fact that you would seal your post using someone's name to boost your complaint is far more disturbing then TMZ posting it in the first place. .

Tessa

This same medication error happened at Childrens hospital in Indy just a few weeks ago in the NICU, the wrong dosage was given to 3 babies, One died..
The same reason was given for the over dose..
Hopefully these babies will survive..
It doesnt matter how much money you have or which hospital you choose ,, we all are at the mercy of these Nurses, Doctors and the pharmacy, one would think someone would catch this mistake..

vikki

I'd be switching Hospitals,the same day!!!!! And call my lawyers

Jus D truth

all I can say is WOW!!!!! I hope the nurse is FIRED, along with the stupid-lazy jerk who put the wrong medication where it didn't belong!! Dennis, I will be praying for your babies to have a speedy recoverery!!! If I were you....I'd be in contact with a whole teams of attorneys to SUE the hell outta that hospital, if only to make them accountable for their actions - AND TO PAY ATTENTION!!!!

omofmom

Correction all 3 children DIED. This is a stupid thing to happen in this day and age. If nurses can't be responsible with dosage then they need to be fired. I am sure the nurse that administered the dose feels just awful but, still infants could die.

Sarah

Very sad, unfortunatly, very familair where I live. 3 babies died and several more became ill last year in Indianapolis from the EXACT mistake. I hope they get better soon.

kathy

Why is it that the places we are supposed to feel our children should be safest other than with us (ie: schools, churches, HOSPITALS )seem to be the scariest of all anymore? Makes me want to keep mine at home and never let them out. I am so sorry for those babies and that family....shouldn't these things be checked and rechecked and checked AGAIN before administering??

susan the midwife

oh yes lets blame the person who stocked the shelves in stead of the moron who did not bother to check and recheck the dosage on the bottle..protocols be damned.

Judy

The first thing you are taught in pharmaceutical class when attending nursing school, is to check the name, dosage, and frequency of the medication you are about to administer to a patient. The nurse should be fired and lose her license. I am so tired of people not doing their jobs correctly, especially when it involves human life.

Sherry

OH MY GOD! This is horrible to say the least! Hope that nurse is fired along with the tech for making this serious of a mistake! My prayers go to the family and for the babies.

ms wonderland

wow, one of the most horrible stories I've seen in a while in relation to TMZ. People lose parents, people lose friends...no one should outlive their children...twins, what a blessing, sorry to hear this one. I hope they make it, ill be praying for them.

skyrn

It's so easy to sit back and judge the mistakes of others. Don't judge healthcare workers until you've tried to do the work. Nurses are human, just like you, and capable of mistakes. It's wrong to say all nurses are more interested in their personal conversations. You can't summarize everyone based on observation of just a few.

Linda

I've been a fan of Dennis Quaid for years. Seems like a nice guy ...just does his work and goes home and lives his life . No real controversey. I was just thinking the other day about how cool...here he and his wife have these these beautiful new babies. Feeding them, changing diapers and watching them sleep. Thanksgiving almost here and then the holidays. All these firsts. I feel devistated for the family . My prayers that these beautiful little babies will be healed.