TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

547 COMMENTS

No Avatar
466.

KitynRN    

I'm a critical care nurse, and it's policy in my facility to have another nurse check any Heparin and Insulin dosages you give, and co-sign with you that it's correct. May God bless Dennis and his wife and may He keep watch over those precious children.

2473 days ago
467.

Georgia    

Same thing happened to my Mother at St Joseph Mercy in Pontiac, Michigan in 2004. They put her on Heperin because she had a slight heart arithmia. She had never had heart trouble before but had taken a fall and cracked her pelvic bone. She was waiting to go into their rehab facility. All of a sudden she started halucinating. Next morning she could hardly talk and just wheezed. I found her like that with 2 young nurses who were trying to figure out what might be wrong with her. They called for a DR and then they said she went into cardiak arrest. She was awake all during the time they incubated her with the tube down her throat. We never were able to speak to her again. She was awake afterwards and knew we were there but that night she slipped into a coma and died. I have never gotten over it. We should have sued them but there were so many problems going on with me and my siblings due to the suddenness of this we did not do that. It was terrible.

2473 days ago
468.

Alex Tanner    

First of all my heart goes out to the Quaids, so so sad. At this writting there is hope. I pray that all will be ok.
If all turns out ok there will never be a time in the Quaid's life that will be the same after this, and I cannot even phathom worst case.

How can a nurse give 1000 times the normal dose. I do not care what excuse is given a nurse would know the differance between 10 and 10,000. Then turn around and do it again.

Sorry I cannot believe that this was a mistake. Just can't be how could someone used to dealing with new born babies and giving them drugs needed make a mistake like that not once but twice. Call the Police that makes the most since at this point with no more facts that I know of.

God bless The Quiad family and give them strength

Shaking my head

2473 days ago
469.

mpalaw    

This happened in Indianapolis about a year ago. Some of the babies made it. My prayers go out to these babies.

2473 days ago
470.

Alex Tanner    

#73 You need a new job, how can you say that cut them slack BS put them in jail is a better thing to do. Giving 1000 times the normal dose.
Please

2473 days ago
471.

jbird    

Protamine sulfate is the drug they give to counteract the hep injection. But in order to work it must be given in the same massive dose as the heparin was.

2473 days ago
472.

ALI    

My prayers are with these two young innocent babies.....there is no excuse for negligence in a hospital.

2473 days ago
473.

M L    

I was a neonatal Paramedic in New York City and I had a call just like this.
RULE#1 in medicine READ THE LABEL. There is no excuse for this kind of mistake.

2473 days ago
474.

DMPackerBacker    

This is so sad. I wish the family well. Reminder to all: make sure you always receive a written prescription from your doctor and double check the labels of all med's received before taken. Even if you get them via a mail service double and triple check them. My brother in law would have died if he had not checked his.

2473 days ago
475.

Terry    


I realize this error is a result of negligence on behalf of who ever miss placed the Heparin and then who ever did not read the lable to double check. Even so how hard would it be to make sure the different dosages have different color labels.

2473 days ago
476.

DOGGY FAN    

Hummm!

I just read the statement released by the hospital regarding this situation!

Here's a bit of news:

THERE IS NO SERIOUS HARM TO ANY PATIENT!!!

So, does that mean that the kids are OK? Were they ever in real serious danger? Are we all getting Pissed Off at this situation for no reason?
Read it yourself, it's on TMZ

2473 days ago
477.

Rob    

So sad.........my prayers are with the family.

2473 days ago
478.

L K B    

I am sick and tired of hospitals, doctors and nurses making these nightmarish mistakes. Slow down and pay attention to what you SHOULD be doing. You should all be ashamed and are guilty of negligence. I hope you get suied to the hilt. My prayers go the the Quaid family and thier new borns. Good Luck and God bless you.

2473 days ago
479.

Terry    


To # 452 Elizabeth RN
From someone who knows what it's like to be cared for by hundreds of nurses through out my life I would like to say I am here because of them. Thank you.

2473 days ago
480.

DOGGY FAN    

We the people of the State of California hereby crown Michael L Langberg M.D. Chief Medical Officer of Cedar Sinai Hospital "THE WORLDS BIGGEST LOSER!!"

Michael Michael Michael

SSSSSSHHHHHHAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE ON YOU!!!

You are responsible for the whole situation that happened in your hospital. I can't believe you had to test SEVEN patients for this whole drug fiasco!! SEVEN!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't bad enough that it was the babies that were injected, but you didn't even know EXACTLY who else was injected. You had to test others as a percaution.

WHAT KIND OF A CIRCUS ARE YOU RUNNING OVER THERE??

PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY AND ALL THAT IS GOOD.


RESIGN!!!!!!!!! STEP DOWN!!!! DO US ALLLL A FAVOR AND LET SOMEONE ELSE TAKE CHARGE OF THE HOSPITAL. FAMILIES CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE THESE KINDS OF MISTAKES....

LIFE IS TOO PRECIOUS!!!!

2473 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web