Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

Maria

Let's hope this incident is recognized throughout all communities as a WAKE UP CALL...the medical profession has gone downhill since the introduction of HMOs, etc., and continues to go down. Mistakes are made daily and repeatedly with human lives and seem to be treated by the medical professionals as if they were working on machinery vs. humans. This incident is a disgrace and uncalled for. Why would any nurse not check medication thoroughly especially on not one, but four patients? Her license should be revoked and she should do jail time IMO, and the hospital should be sued up the giggie. Hopefully the twins will recover and be well, No thanks to Cedars!

Shelley M

As a nurse, I'm horrified by this. I don't care who stocked the Heparin the wrong place, or that it's hard to read so it's a "common mistake" as stated above. The nurse who gave the overdose of Heparin needs to go back to nursing school to refresh her memory about the "5 Rights" when you give medications. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure they still teach that on... like... DAY ONE and every day after that. This kind of thing makes us all look bad... even the best of nurses.

jk

I feel sorry for the nurse. Nobody is perfect and I don't think any of us could say we've never made a mistake at work. It's just our mistakes don't cost the lives of newborn babies. That entire department will be haunted by this for a long time, and they'll definitely be double-checking labels from now on.

It's an unfortunate consequence of the nursing shortage that they're overworked and prone to these errors. Keep blaming medical staff and suing them every opportunity you people get, and you've made the nursing shortage problem worse, not better. Let's pray for the babies instead of blaming people when we don't even know what happened.

nurse

So much ignorance really bothers me in the general public... Giving an infant heparin would be they have a Central line, that is to be flushed to keep it from clotting off. I don't work at Cedars but I would imagine that heparin is in a prefilled syringe sent up by pharmacy, As so many drugs are single dose. A nurse flushes numerous lines per shift, Unless you are a nurse you will never know the pressure that you are under. I feel so badly for this nurse. Nurses love people and Neonatal ICU nurses love babies. In whatever job you are in, from cashier to accountant you make mistakes on a daily basis, but when a nurse makes a mistake and can be life or death. Nurses are just like you, we have personal lives also, family problems, but we work in a position that you haven't ever experiences. I catch many errors every day, and save lives... If you fire every dr. or nurse that has ever made an error. Then you take care of yourselves. I think is is interesting how many of you way PRAY for the babies, but then spew such hate. WOW
WWJD.

Yayyay

I hope the babies are OK....but my heart does go out to the nurse who inadvertently administered the med. RNs are so overworked and understaffed that mistakes unfortunately do happen.

KelHil

God love those poor babies. Hopefully everything will turn out Ok in the end. My prayers and thoughts are with the family.

For all of you yelling about nurses not paying attention. Take a step back and think about the nurses that are really great people. When I had my daughter I had one nurse who really wasn't that attentive and actually gave up trying to give me an IV in my arm and shoved it in my wrist. Which was painful and very uncomfortable through out the entire labor. I also had a nurse that was wonderful...she talked me through everything and didnt leave my side until it was over. Unfortunately theres not too many good people left in this world that care like that, but theres a fwe out there god bless them.

Catherine

Dear Dennis and Kimberly,
God bless you and continue to give you the strength for what He has asked of you to face. My son traveled with you, Dennis, on a trip to Belize once. His name is Gary and I believe one of the things you talked about was how you wanted to homeschool your son in Montana. Well, anyway, that leads me to have somewhat of a interest in you and so I, being a missionary in Brazil, do send up my prayers to the One who can take care of everything. I pray for you and your wife's peace of mind concerning the outcome of the twins lives, but if the Lord wants to continue to trust you and bless you with these children, He surely will heal them.
Lots of love in Jesus' Name,
Catherine

slmkimm

This very same thing happened at Clarian-Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis earlier this year. Yes the labels are very much the same - however we are trained to #1 read the label when we pick out the medication - #2 read the label again once we draw it into the syringe and #3 read again before replacing/destroying the vial we have drawn from.

emmalee

This is say what seems so little at this time ,Dennis from what i just rad in these comments alot of america is praying for those
beautiful babies of yours and Kimberly's . may God hold those babies ih the palm of his hands while they heal from this and
recover , Gog Bless you and your family.

The Big Easy

Um, Paula from post #528...I think you better re-read history: Meg Ryan cheated on Dennis Quaid with Russell Crowe...and then Crowe dumped her like a hot potato.

And this has nothing to do with Meg Ryan & Dennis Quaid's relationship. This has everything to do with two precious lives that are in precarious danger.

Dennis, Kimberly and twins, you have our prayers and support.

can-we-all-be-zebras

Why is there always a prejudice remark made out of everything? Bam Bam? There's always an idiot in every croud! If people like you'd stop living the past. Which happened with all of our ancesters. Not YOU AND not ME! This would be a much better world to live in. And all races could get along. But like I say, people like you carry this chip on your shoulder as if you lived in the past.. And want to blame innocent white people. We can't change what happened back then. So could you please stop hating us white people of today. We didn't do anything.
And to the babies to which this was suppose to be all about. God Bless YOU and your PARENTS. And all the others that had this happen to. Hope you all fully recover.

can-we-all-be-zebras

Them labels should have been color coded. So that it would never had happened. The maker should have known better.......

Mandi L

This type of thing happens all the time. In fact it happened just last year in Indianapolis and 4 babies died. I hope the media stays on this story so hospitals and staff become liable for the "mistakes" they make. We go to hospitals for care and it is sad we have to question the people that are supposed to be the the savers of life. Babies lives are in the balance folks...we all have to advocate for the helpless. My personal expierence is is my voice of reason.

Dan Boaz

On 3/5/06, Cheryl was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for routine dialysis as a result of problems with her home dialysis machine. Cheryl had been receiving dialysis for several years due to renal issues, so this was not unusual.

When Cheryl was admitted to the hospital on 3/5/06, a staff physician conducted a standard exam at admission. The exam report on 3/5/06 does not mention any external injuries; in fact, the report states that all external areas were normal.
On the first night of Cheryl's stay, Cheryl suffered head trauma and soon after that she went into a coma. Cheryl was dropped on her head and/or severely beaten. I questioned hospital staff numerous times about these unexplained injuries.
After my mom suffered head injuries, the hospital falsified records starting the next day, 3/6/06, to make it appear that Cheryl was in a car accident that caused the injuries in question.

I have photos of Cheryl in which, according to her treating physician, Dr. Blumenkrantz, “she looks like she got beat up by Mike Tyson.” At all time Dr. Blumenkrantz was obstructive about my mom’s chances of recovering from her injuries. In addition, while requesting physical therapy, Dr. Blumenkrantz refused to give my mom any therapy and left inappropriate messages on my machine regarding my request for physical therapy. These messages were left as she was starting to get sores on her bottom (see picture dates), but they were still not nearly as bad as they became.
First message:

Hi Stephanie, this is Dr. Blumenkrantz. I would like to continue to take care of your mom. I have been taking care of her for eight years, your mom wants me to continue to take care of her. I can not…We can not talk effectively. I can not deal with an immature, uh, teenager, uh who’s out of control, and umm, and uhh, it’s very upsetting to me, I try to be nice. I understand that you are angry, etc. which is a normal reaction to your mom being sick. But, it’s getting worse and worse more and more demanding and more and more antagonistic and more threatening. So, I am not going to be talking to you any more, I am going to be talking to Therese and Dan, uh, and inform them on what’s going on with your mom and uh, you can get the information from them. But, I do want to continue to take care of your mom, we have a nice relationship and I think I can do the best job possible taking care of her.
Second Message:
Stephanie, I apologize for telling you to shut up. But, umm, I have trouble dealing with you and obviously you have trouble dealing with me. Umm, I have a heart condition, I am 63 years old, I have taken excellent care of your mom for the last eight years, including this admission and umm, this is just not a uh a way, a mature way to deal with issues. I suggest that you talk with your psychiatrist about, uh dealing with the doctors and making demands, etc. I have been doing medicine for almost 40 years and I have never had to deal with a family member like you. Umm, so, I think it’s best that I talk to umm ,pause, your sister and brother about what’s going on with your mom and, uh, talk with your mom also and get her permission for issues. Umm, I am sorry, and I always always through your mom had affection for you and how nice it was that you were doing. But, this is not a very mature relationship and uhh, I can not deal with this. Umm, thank you.
These messages were sent on 4/30/2006, 9am.

Over the next few months, Cheryl's condition began to deteriorate. Cheryl suffered through multiple pressure sores all over her body. The hospital failed to rectify them. The hospital also failed to give Cheryl physical therapy, which reduced her mobility. I tried to do it myself by moving my mom's joints for her, but at one point I broke my arm and I could not continue to do so. My mom became stiff as a board. Her hands became gangrenous, as did a large portion of her head. I have photos of all of this.

The hospital's stories didn't add up. First, my mom suffered severe head trauma and went into a coma. Then, the hospital neglected her, which caused pressure sores and stiffness that they wouldn't treat sufficiently.

Due to further neglect by the hospital, my mom's decubitus ulcers worsened, turning into grotesque Stage IV lesions on her tailbone and other parts of her body. My mom's legs split open and bled. My mom's hand, one or two of her toes, and part of her head turned gangrenous(I have photos to review).

As we came close to the time in the law suit, where my mom was supposed to do a deposition for the hospital, she was completely off the trach and on the trach collar, finally a speech therapist came one time to try and have my mom talk. The speech therapist came in for f

Kanda

As hospital/retail pharmacist I cannot believe such a mistake happened at the hospital. As helath care providers we we are always told to double chech and triple check any doses of anti-coagulant. We all know that no one uses more tham 100 units of heparin to keep the i/v lines open. As a pharmacist I feel bad that such an error occured. My prayers and thoughts are with the twins and their parents.

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments