Chelsea Handler's New Gig: Bigot?

11/25/2007 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Trying to joke about race can get you in a lot of trouble -- just ask Michael Richards. Last night outside of Koi, supposed comedian Chelsea Handler tried to do the same thing and, like Kramer, failed miserably.

She was approached by two cameramen -- one of whom was Chinese, the other (our guy) was African-American. Chelsea quipped that it was "crazy that you guys all travel together, Asians and Blacks. That's amazing." And they can vote now, too!

After a failed joke about Dog the Bounty Hunter, somehow a question about Britney Spears turned into Chelsea saying the Chinese photog was from "Vietcong-nam." When it was pointed out that he was, in fact, Chinese, Chelsea just said, "Whatever."

Guess she's the kind of comedian you just have to laugh at -- not with.

Christina

I want to know what the big deal is? She didn't use any derogatory words. She makes fun of ALL people regardless of color or gender. Or is it just cause shes white & said certain things. Kind of like what Eddie Murphy or Martian Lawrence does. When they talk about white people or do impressions..I'm not looking at the tv pulling my race card. She didn't use any profanity just generalizations, kind of like what other black comics do as well. How do you think comedy is made. Even Carlos Mencia makes fun of all people includeing latins. Its when you are AFRIAD to say things in front of the race that you are making fun of, that you would normally say in front of your own is when you know theres a racial problem. Just cause she didn't say anything about white people in her little stalking...oh wait she did didn't she? She made fun of the paps..kind of like when you watch a comedy tv show or go to a comedy club, they will make fun of those in the audience..whether they are white,black,hispanic, or asian.

AreYou Seriouse

I'm black, so therefore I guess that gives me the right to hate Chelsea for her jokes???? IT DOESN'T, and there have been exceptions for Chris Rock, because these jokes work for him. I think Chelsea is the same as Chris, these jokes work for her. I love watching Chelsea Lately.

AznLA

You know, I know she's kidding, and I really don't care if she's making fun of Asians or whatnot.

What does bother me is that they think they can get away with making fun of Asians because typically Asians don't cause a big stink about these things.

Imagine if she called one of the photographers a Puerto Rican and he said "Actually I'm African American" and she said "whatever." She'd be hanging by a noose right about now.

It's the same with Rosie when she did her mock Asian accent. While there was a little bit of noise from the Asian community, she didn't actually apologize did she? She just said she was making a joke and sorry if we don't understand her. If she had made fun of Blacks or Hispanics, she'd be off the air so quickly, and they definitely would not have let her get by with that crap apology.

Like I said, I don't care if Chelsea makes fun because I can take a joke. It bothers me that they have to apologize for every racist remark they make, except when it comes to remarks about Asians.

Danny Castleberry

I agree that our citizens are becoming a bunch of self -appointed hall monitors! But on another note, her jokes are really not funny, so why does she get paid?

Jake Jerlomeis

Shes not a bigot, just an idiot. jokes were in bad taste and horrible.

bob

chinese-american

Jessi D.

Personally, I don' t think she is funny at all. I don't get her appeal, she's just so annoying

Missy

When will these Morons get some Funny Material? And stop using race to get laughs. This chick is not funny but funny looking......

Sean Bresnahan

If only they were FUNNY jokes...that's why she is on E!

Lori

HeeHee She is just a comedian. I think she is a tripp!!

Sean Bresnahan

Hey, SeanDC: racial humor can be very funny - this just ain't it. This is just the drunken rantings of a cable TV hostess. Witless and dumb.

Donkeypuncher

Who gives a crap if you racists don't like Chelsea! You don't have any $ to give her anyway!

TMZ Fraternity

Please they are not just jokes...She is just a rude woman. Its not o.k. to make racial jokes if you're not that race..Bottom line.

Is America sooo un-educated that people cant see how these things can be offensive. Its not about being overly PC either. People have a right to feel however they want, but that doesnt make their views correct or o.k. esp if they try an cover it with a lame joke.

And whats with people always saying they're tired of people pulling the race card..I mean no one directly benefits from that. Look at statistics and Look at the Highest poverty and unemployment rates.. How do people benefit from "pulling the race card" when the same races have been struggling the worst for for decades. Morons..I swear the public are idiots.

I have a Phd in Psy and I truly understand why people feel the way they do with alot of things, but its just sad that the majority of people will never be able to step outside their fears/views and understand what wrong in society today.

jen

People...come on! She is hilarious. I love watching her show.

Shitney, please drop of the face of the planet.

Do the ppl that like to say that others don't have any money really think they're right? Just wonderin'.