« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Taylor Dies After Gunshot

11/27/2007 9:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sean Taylor, the Washington Redskins safety who was shot early Monday at his home in Miami, has died, according to a family friend. He was just 24.

The Pro Bowl safety had taken a bullet in his upper leg, reports the AP, damaging an artery, causing serious blood loss and loss of consciousness. According to his former lawyer, Richard Sharpstein, Taylor seemed to show signs of recovery when he squeezed a nurse's hand late Monday night, but never regained consciousness thereafter.

Miami-Dade Police are investigating the attack, which occurred when an intruder apparently entered Taylor's home, in what the cops are considering a possibly burglary.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Detrissa

Paps, moderators are needed to protect the masses from the hate-filled ramblings of people like you. Try spreading some love today PAPS :)

Detrissa

Diva45214

As an Ex Girlfriend of Sean's I can say he was such a great person funny, thoughtful, and humble Words cannot express the loss today to The Taylor Family God is with you through this storm to his fiance He loved you very much keep that in your heart and he will be with you always and to his daughter Jackie.......You have a Angel that will watch over you and protect you....And on a personal note ....Sean I never thought something like this would happen to you and while I am sad I know I will see you again one Day.

camille43

to BigLNVA: I dont know if he was a thug or not. But you can be a thug without looking like the sterotypical thug. Just because he went to college, had money and came from a descent home does not mean he did not have questionable ehtics or character. YOU seem to be the one who is misinformed. YOU are the one who is paying attention to sterotypes. I know plenty of "thugs" who wear expensive suits, have college educations and families. Thugs also come in all colors. Quit assuming that people are against him just because he was black. I am black and I for one believe that this crime had a lot to do with the way he lived his life and who he was aquainted with. No I dont believe he deserved it, but when it all comes out, you will probably see that he had a lot more to do with it than you think. When you live in the "hood" you quickly realize that things are not always what they seem to be. And just because you take someone out of the hood, it does not mean that you can take the hood mentality out of them. Just ask Michael Vick. And just for the record, criminals dont purposly cut phone lines, run up in someones house and only kill one person and leave everyone else living unless there was ALREADY some sort of beef going on. This was premeditated murder, plain and simple. A robbery would have been just that, I am sure he had plenty of things in his home worthy of stealing. But this person went to the bedroom and shot this man, because that is what he came to do.

Now what you and others like you need to do , is quit idolizing athletes and entertainers that make messed up choices that eventually come back to haunt them. Yes it is sad but when you do better (have more money) you are supposed to know better( quit living and hanging out with folks with questionable character and making bad decisions that could ruin your life)

Detrissa

Paps; since you are having trouble understanding my comment let me clarify it for you. ANY loss of life to violence is senseless, regardless of how YOU may feel about the VICTIM.

johnwilliams

I find it telling that the people who actually knew him, every single Redskin player , coach, and official said a varient of the same thing. That Sean had "turned his life around", or that Sean had "matured", since his kid was born. It sounds like to me that they are saying that Sean used to be a bully and a thug. Just another yerk given a free ride his whole life just because he was a gifted athelete. I get so tired of hearing this story about atheletes, singers, and movie stars. Does the name Ryan Leaf come to mind?

Old School

So Sorry bout Sean and tmz have some respect and put this story at the top of the page on the day that he died instead of Hulk Hogan and B.S. I mean britney spears and lots of talk about him being a 'thug' and this being payback and i don't know about all that i just know he was a hell of a football player and feel so bad for his family and child. I'm so sick of what has happened to our society and where we now have gun sligers going around like the old west and people shooting and killing for the most simple reasons, what has happened to us as a society?

You People Sicken Me !

I am not a Redskin fan but I am a fan of football ! My prayers go out to the Taylor Family . And please forgive the children that are on this blog . { And you know who you are } Nothing just plain nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!! May God rest your soul !

Old School

Iceman grow up it's not about being black or white and if he went after someone with a gun then that shows you what kind of person he was even if the guy did steal his car because any NORMAL person Black or White would turn it into the their insurance company and file a police report.

camille43

so sad

JennInDC

I worked for the Redskins in 2004. Although trouble seemed to shadow Sean he was a decent guy and worked hard to be a great athlete. He grew up during his time with the Redskins and had a bright future ahead. No one deserves to have their life to ended this way. I also have no doubt this was intentional and someone was out to get him. I hope justice is served. RIP, Sean, and I hope the Taylor family can find solace somehow. I've been crying all day.

jeronimo

I am really ashamed at the comments made. They really show how ignorant people really are and (to be blunt) racist this country still is. I guess if this had happened to Lindsay, Britney or Paris (who've had more than their share of brushes with the law...more than 2 D.U.I's in fact), there would actually be some compassion for the victim. And for the record, Sean didn't beat anyone to death with a gun. Before you open the doors to that thing you call a brain, be sure to check your facts so you won't look too much like an ass.

My condolences to the Taylor Family. I pray you find comfort at the sad time.

david cook rocks

I'm sorry to hear about this his family are in my thoughts

wendy weyandt

hey R-I-P Sean Taylor we know Joe Giggs will remember you always

Barron Hilton

Damn big homie... Sean, you will be missed. You were the hardest hitter the NFL had to offer! R.I.P #21. May GOD bless the entire Taylor family and give them strength to overcome such a tragedy.