It's Man vs. Luhrmann in Aussie Brouhaha

12/3/2007 1:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Throw some shrimp on the barbi, there's a big dispute brewing Down Under between producers of Nicole Kidman's new movie and an angry contractor who says he hasn't been paid.

Darren Foster is calling director Baz Luhrmann and his company Bazmark Films "un-Australian," for allegedly failing to fork over $16,000 for props and equipment they rented for the new film called -- wait for it -- "Australia"!

Foster is so p.o.'d, he traveled all the way from Queensland to Sydney last week to stage a one-man protest in front of Fox Studios. "The money crunchers have continuously brushed me off, so I'm hoping that maybe some of the cast, or Baz himself, might hear me out," he told The Sydney Morning Herald.

Not such a G'day!

Logo Designers

aww, poor thing

Igor

Poor guy....I am decidedly ANTI-UNAUSTRALIAN.

He's Boring now

Ok so any bloke can make a sign and stand in front of a company claiming they are owed 16,000 bucks. Dont they have civil claims courts in Australia or other proper channels for making a claim? Who is to say he even provided anything? If the guy really wants to get paid, why not go about the way everyone else does?

You ask me its one step above a guy standing on the freeway with a sign that says "please help", and with his big fat hand out.

lets see the invoices and proof---why not make a copy of those and put it on your "feed me" sign.

Jerk who is trying to make Stars feel guilty and pay up just so his sign goes away.

Get in line and follow the proper channels you louse.

franks furter

Well hells bells....$16,000 would cover Nic's Botox bill for what... A month? Good luck on collecting it!

Spaz Luhrman

"Dont they have civil claims courts in Australia or other proper channels for making a claim? "

Plenty of people and companies count on the fact that it is expensive and time consuming to go to court to get money you may be owed. 90% of people will give up, so it makes sense to not pay even if a debt is owed if you don't care about right and wrong. If he is really owed the money, then he is also providing a public service by warning others that they might think twice before working for someone who doesn't pay what they have agreed to pay. My personal experience suggests the guy might be right.

I went to see one of the very first showings of Baz Luhrman's play La Boheme is San Francisco (at the cost of about $100 a ticket) and some guy two feet behind me who was not even in a seat yacked all through the first act. At the intermission I asked why he was talking all through the play and it turned out it was Baz dictating his critique. He apologized and said he would arrange for his assistant to send us tickets for another show so we could see it properly. I'm still waiting for those tickets 5 years later.

rebel

I would pay him for he's services, in more ways then ONE....

just the way I like them..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucy