Big Cat Attacks at Tippi's Preserve

12/3/2007 11:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A worker has been attacked by a tiger at Shambala Preserve in Acton, Calif., which was founded by Melanie Griffith's mother, legendary actress Tippi Hedren.

The man, in his 40s, is in critical but stable condition after suffering "multiple bites" from the big cat. The incident occurred around 3:00 PM this afternoon.

According to their website, Shambala Preserve was founded in 1972 by "The Birds" star Hedren as a haven for endangered exotic big cats, many of which are castoffs from circuses, zoos and private owners. All of the animals at Shambala depend on humans for their care.

It was initially reported that the man was attacked by a liger, a lion/tiger mix. We have confirmed the man was bitten by a tiger.

Story developing ...

debbie

She takes in this wonderful and beautiful animals that Man and Woman exploit. Give them a home and I so so grateful for her. She does and so do the people that workl there do a wonder and thankles job. I am, sorry the man was hurt. When you work with the wild yopu just never know...

I hope he wikll come back and be okay. The tiger attacked because it was abused and scared. You cannot blame the cat to the man.

lamprey

This here is proof that all them kind of anamals is good for is fur and food.I love to hunt me anamals for fun, just settin in the bushes for hours till one happens by-what a great sport!

stringy

There is no comparing people who breed,sell,or buy exotic animals & people like Tippi & many others who "rescue,feed,& tend for these animals.Many are from people who didn;t want an animal when it reached maturity,some for private zoos,some that were kept in horrid conditions.As with Seigfried & Roy,I'm sure the injured worker will not blame the tiger.If it wasn't for these compassionate people,most of these animals would be dead & in some cases,extinct.

Lisa

From my years with housecats and many years of big cat observation, I just don't think that big cats are behaviorally all that different from housecats. I'm not saying that big cats aren't dangerous to be and work around--they are. But I've noticed that both housecats and big cats show subtle signs that signal trouble ahead for the human in the area. Those signs can be very subtle. I've missed or ignored those signs to my detriment with "mere" housecats, and I still have the slashes on my hands and arms to show for it. I shudder to think what it would have been like had it been a full-grown tiger who decided it was "riot time" instead of my little, purring housecat.

My guess is the worker missed those subtle signs from the tiger.

As for whether cats (all sizes) love other members of the same species, or members of another species (humans), I think they do. I think that cats understand a great deal more than they let on, and communicate with other cats more than we would like. Cats are simply incredible companions and wonderful to watch.

Beeg

This happened on my birthday. So sad.... :(

windy

liger? why not tion?

celebuspawn

there are Liger's AND Tigon's

Liger - female lion, male tiger

Tigon - female tiger, male lion

The only time you will find a lion / tiger hybrid is in captivity, bred by humans. In the wild, there are NO known cases.

vanhenry71

Over 15 years ago, while working as a magicians assistant, I would hang with friends Siegfried and Roy. Roy had this young tiger that just took to me, but the moment I turned my back on it, Roy grabbed my arm! Like a scolding parent, mostly out of fear of what I did could have cost me my very life, he told me to NEVER EVER turn your back on them EVER till you KNOW your out of harms way. I thought, foolishly I found out, that yea he raised them since birth, yea they were his kids, but they were first and formost WILD ANIMALS! Believe me, I NEVER forgot again. I walked off, all 5ft and 21 yrs old of me, like a startled 5 yr old. LOL! BTW that was the one that wasn't trying to attack him, but on stage was actually trying to protect him, he had a stroke on stage and the tiger knew it and was actually trying to take him to safety, only those who know him and his animal knew that! That tiger isn't in the shows, but she has been his friend through his recover, but yes she is a wild animal all the same.

Just a Note:

San Francisco Zoo had a trainer who worked for years with the lions there, during the feeding show, in front of alot of school children, she was savagely attacked by the cute thing she raised, and lost her arm! She has since recovered but I don't know what happened as if she went back to work. She trusted this animal, and it too turned on her, it was my reminder!

Carole Baskin

The following is a partial listing (659) of incidents in the U.S. involving captive exotic cats since 1990. The U.S. incidents have resulted in the deaths of 19 humans, 15 adults and 4 children, the additional mauling of 172 more adults and children, 137 escapes, the killing of 80 big cats, and 113 confiscations. There have also been 149 big cat incidents outside the U.S. that have resulted in the deaths of 56 humans and the mauling of 85 humans by captive big cats. These figures only represent the headlines that Big Cat Rescue has been able to track. Because there is no reporting agency that keeps such records the actual numbers are certainly much higher. http://www.bigcatrescue.org/big_cat_news.htm

lamprey

The big cat's are in a sense anachronisms. They are the last remnants of a long gone age when large predators ruled the earth, and they are our superiors in many ways. This striking physical superiority and beauty attract we weak humans strongly, to the detriment of the object of our fascination, in many cases. Although, the cat's most dangerous foes are the group of humans that still hold to the view that these animals were put on this earth by a divine power specifically, and only, for the purpose of providing humans with material benefits.The animals are viewed by these brutish people as unthinking, unfeeling collections of meat and fur to be used and destroyed at will.It is as if these people were in some lower state of spiritual evolution than those of us who can see instantly,and without effort, the nobility and worth of these great, and soon to be gone, creatures. For once a population falls below some critical numerical threshold, it is ordained for extinction. A truly sad thought. I wish all of us could see the connection between all living creatures, and act accordingly. But human greed and ignorance will prevail, as always.

R.Zimmerman

Hey, # 29. I suspect that your post is meant to sound as ignorant as possible and to be (to your way of thinking) funny. Well, here it is:
1. You are a moron
2. You are not funny
3. If you're serious, I imagine you've spent more time in the bushes yanking on yourself than waitin' on them animules.

john

You can find the movie that started the preserve at:
www.roarthemovie.com

emmanuelle

White people do not age well...

JJ Fabulous

I'm glad he's doing well now. He's a kind soul, and HOTT!!!!

Chiane Dial

To everybody out there this is a 13 year old speaking i have the right to say something so here it is ,what Mr.Phil said was complete it is right what he said but, he dose have the right to say something and i just i think he should be right so all haters hate he should be haveing to go throg this so what ever happens happens just what he says he says is true

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3