Rapper Pimp C Found Dead in Hollywood Hotel Room

12/4/2007 4:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Pimp CUPDATE: Homicide detectives are now at the Mondrian Hotel investigating the death.

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

UGK is best known for appearing on the Jay-Z track "Big Pimpin'" in 2000, and more recently with Outkast on the song "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)." Pimp C had just performed with fellow rapper Too Short at the "House of Blues" in L.A. on Saturday night.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."

deeznutts

this is a tragic loss in the game r.i.p pimp-c

camakia

RIP PIMP C!!

lil snoopy tha truth from funky town texas (817)

u r gonna be missed pimp hold ur head mama pimp and bun hold ur head.pimp c was the best he could sing rap and was not scared to tell the truth.R.I.P Chad (PIMP C)Butler.ur still part of UGK even thoe ur gone.C u when i see u pimp look out for us other rappas and up comin rappas like me.LIVE IN THE SKY

Jason M.

nobody knows how he died? cuz he was only 33....

Irene

Pimp C all ya was a talented man made some bad as hits. You will be missed playa,

Jus1OnE-DEEP

PImp c was real rap pioneer. Every body from the Texas looks up to them cuzz they always TELL YOU SOMETHING GOOD. always on some trill. UGK FOR LIFE!!

CASH C 105'S FINEST

PIMP C WAS THE TRUTH AND WILL BE MISSED R.I.PEACE PIMP MY PRAYERS IS WITH HIS FAMILY,AND TO ALL YOU DUMB ASSES WHO ON HERE TALKING CRAZY BOUT BIG HOMIE, MIDDLE FINGER YOU BIOCTHES THINK IF IT WAS ONE OF YOUR FAM YOU CORNBALL AZZ LAMES GET SOME MONEY

Joe KC

Yo any of you that ain't heard of the pimp i am sorry for you he has put down some of tightest lines that i have ever listend to.
hey pimp chad i'll see ya when i get up there. peace

Big Ghost

Man...Pimp C was a big influence in rap/hip-hop. Love goes out to his family and friends. UGK will always be apart of my life. You know what? All you losers makin' fun of the situation, won't have anyone saying nothin' about you on any websites or televison shows when you die. You might make the obituaries if your family cares about you enough. Where is your legacy?

R.I.P. to a Legend

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. You will live on throgh your music. RIP CHad Butler

"And then when I got on my knees that night to pray
I asked God why he let these killas live and take my homeboy's son away
Man if you got kids show em you love em cause God just might call em home
Cause one day you here but baby the next day you gone" Pimp C- UGK~One Day

JB Tha Hommie

White people are not so ignorant, Got Jack Tripper in tha deck now. Rep' in ALL RAP-A-LOT RECORDS aka TRILL FAM. R.I.P. Pimp WHAT NOW?

MR._MAGIK

Oh yeah, forgot to say R.I.P (KANSAS CITY SHOWING LUV)

Giamoni Cooper

I just cnnt believe that he is dead. When i saw it on mtv im thinkin that they were lieing and then when i looked up here it was the like bam

the kid

some of the stuff posted on these comments is SO disrespectful.
the man lost his LIFE.
i can't honestly say i was ever a fan of Pimp C.
but it's obvious that a lot of people were.
may his soul rest in peace.
and to all of you being disrepectful, remember -- karma is nothing to be played with.

theman200830

I find it very disturbing that people can always find something negative to say about rappers/black successful men. I can guarantee its the whites that are leaving the disrepectful comments. I bet if it was M&M comments would have been a whole lot different. On the flip side of that I forgive each and everyone of you ignorant low life/no life having, slum of the earth people for your stupidity. My prayers go out to Pimps family. Trill kings live 4ever. R.I.P. Sweet Jones aka Pimp C. Your legacy lives 4ever through hiphop! We miss you big homie. Your trillist fan sighning off.......... 1luv!

Previous 15 Comments | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments