Rapper Pimp C Found Dead in Hollywood Hotel Room

12/4/2007 4:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Pimp CUPDATE: Homicide detectives are now at the Mondrian Hotel investigating the death.

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

UGK is best known for appearing on the Jay-Z track "Big Pimpin'" in 2000, and more recently with Outkast on the song "International Player's Anthem (I Choose You)." Pimp C had just performed with fellow rapper Too Short at the "House of Blues" in L.A. on Saturday night.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."

jeff

I hear they're trying to notify his father but maury can't even figure out who that is

Tasha

Damn...pimp c the man...first we loose tupac now we lost pimp c...he was a lyrically genius with a striking voice that made u remember who pimp c was.....on behalf of me and my brotheer who introduce me to him at a young age....he will be missed...all love goed out to bun b.....

BUSYFACE.COM

Last interview at 1swag.com

CAM

Such a shame to lose life so suddenly and so young... He was a rap legend and will truely be missed! Thoughts and prayers go out to all friends and family members! Hopefully his death will encourage others to get off of drank... RIP DJ SCREW and RIP PIMP C!!!

NH384

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON HIS SOUL

Tay

My thoughts and prayers are with the Family and Friends. He is in a better place and will be looking upon everyone as well as his fans. He was a guardian angel and will be missed. R.I.P. Pimp C

starstudded

"I know you watch me up there and it's gettin hard for me
When you get a chance, put a good word into the Lord for me.."

RIP Pimp C.

*we missin you down here in the H*

lovin' music

RIP Pimp C. My prayers are with your family at this time of mourning. Your music and talents will be greatly missed. God bless your family, friends, and many, many fans.

fccm04

Some of these comments are really cruel. It doesn't matter how you feel about his person, this is someones child and it is sad that even during someones loss so people can be so disrespectful.

My prayers go out to the family and friends. Find peace in Gods word.

PATRICE

Wow!! A lot of ppl are dying, this sucks!! I love Pimp C!! And to the ppl saying rude $hit, be careful what you say.. Karma's a b!tch, i'm just saying.. Have respect for the deceased... My prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends...

Sade From Texas

R.I.P. Pimp C... YOU WILL TRULY BE MISSED... MY PRAYERS AND DEEPEST SYMPATHY ARE SENT OUT TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

duckboy205

this jus goes to show how precious life is..rap is entertainment

YUNG ACE

DAAAMMIT MAAAN! NOT THE HOMIE PIMP C!
R.I.P. DAWG LOVE TO HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

Meghuney

Some of you are plain evil. This is a man with a wife and two kids. It IS a loss.

rjinchi