Humane Society to Celebs: It Ain't Puppy Love

12/11/2007 4:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: The L.A. Department of Animal Regulations has just shut down Pets of Bel Air because we're told three of the store's permits have expired. Lt. Troy Boswell tells TMZ the store's permit to sell live animals has been expired for three and a half years (yikes!). We're also told the Department has checked out all the animals currently in the store and they all seem to be in good health. A worker at the pet store insists they've done nothing wrong.

The pet store has 48 hours to renew their permits.

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) today revealed undercover footage linking a popular pet store-to-the-stars with a puppy mill that supplies them. Oh the humane-ity!
Britney, Paris, Puppies
The HSUS alleges that Pets of Bel Air -- a trendy pet shop that boasts Paris Hilton, Denise Richards, Demi Moore, Britney Spears and Robin Williams among its clientele, who spend as much as $2,400 for a Maltese -- gets their puppies from puppy mills. In fact, TMZ also spotted Britney shopping there just this past weekend.

Pets of Bel Air told HSUS investigators they don't get their puppies from puppy mills, but the HSUS says that simply not the dogs'-honest truth. They allege the shop buys from mills in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Iowa and Missouri. Undercover footage shot by the HSUS at one such puppy mill shows cage after cage of little dogs locked up and going "cage crazy." Not a pretty sight.

Puppy mills sell dogs who live their entire lives in cages and are continually bred for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever becoming part of a family.

Calls to the Pets of Bel Air shop were not immediately returned.

oc

FlyontheWallTMZ: If you have never owned a coon hound before, please work closely with a trainer. I see too many cases of coon hounds being sent to shelters when they are 2 or 3 by owners who decide they can't stand the dog's "neediness", neuroses or other quirks. I adopted my coon hound from a shelter when he was 3, I was his third "owner" and spent quite a bit of time and money into socializing and having him trained properly after the previous owners didn't put time and effort into these things. I hate to see a good-hearted animal get sent to a shelter because an owner wasn't prepared to handle the quirks of the breed.

bethany

The people that sell puppies in parking lots (like Walmart) and flea markets are the WORST OF THE WORST

They just busted one of those not long ago

The flea market and parking lot puppies are often the "seconds" from the puppy mill. Total ripoff, total cruelty.

whatever

#38- I looked EVErywhere. I researched for days in every shelter in the Houston southeaast texas area. I went to the humane society early , waited in the office until it opened and went to look. I saw many online that interested me but they were no help. I was the only one inthere at the time and felt like they just didnt want to help me. The poodle rescue people said that the 250 cost covered the care even though the pets were fostered out. I htought that was volunteers? Even rescue groups are greedy. I wanted this cutie on the boxer rescue place, texas lonestar boxer rescue (look up the site) and it says 250 minimum as well even though some dogs are brand new there! Neutering doesnt cost much so that price was too much. I could buy a puppy for that price of a pure bred, and I did and spent less. Sad, I tried to do it the shelter/rescue way but they cost too much.

just wondering

...Lori...I don't own any dogs ...but if I ever did...u sure educated me!!!!!...thanks for sharing...good job!!!

Party 'till you die!

Look at the all the mutts begging for attention! I can only sympathize with the actual canine ones though! The other mutts need to be sent back and fixed. Muzzle them too! Does anyone think that caninus Britus and Parus could give a damn about the plight of puppy mills? Yeah right. Dogs ( and human infants for the Britch) are just fashion accessories used for photo ops and as live dolls. As soon as they are no longer puppies, they mysteriously disappear and are replaced. When was the last time you saw either of them walking and caring for an adult dog? To them, dogs are disposable items. No good breeder would ever consider selling them anything more than a hissing c.roach! They are the people who keep the horrendous puppy mills alive. Being an animal owner and lover requires a real commitment and TMZ picked perhaps the 2 lowest form of humans to do the story on!

heatherrrrr

How about adopting a DOG instead of a puppy?? Go to the pound and pick out a beautiful dog whose owner (maybe Britney) gave it away once it stopped being a "cute baby" and actually became GASP*** a DOG!!!!!

Adopted adult dogs are often trained, socialized, and become just as much a part of the family as a puppy who grew up with the family. Too often people get caught up in adopting a "baby", not realizing that the baby requires vet visits, vaccines, extensive housetraining, socialization and exercise which FEW people have the time, energy, and money to devote! People need to figure out whether they want a PET or a BABY. If you want a baby, by all means adopt one. If you want a PET, be prepared to deal with a lifelong commitment.

bethany

ilovepuppies, those adopted dogs come with ALL shots, all health treatments, spayed and neutered, often microchipped- you get up to a thousand dollars of vet care for CHEAP!

That's why shelters charge an adoption fee. They do all the expensive vet work for you that needs to be done.

Free isn't FREE. You then need to pay huge amounts to the vet to get everything done.

For an adopted dog, it's all taken care of.

Don't be so cheap!

GF

I love puppies there are unethical rescues and overworked, emotionally fatigued shelter workers, but $250 is not in my opinion unreasonable when you consider the veterinary care that some of these dogs need. In my area to get all required vaccinations and neuter/spay would be well over $250. You have to consider that these rescues are taking in a lot of dogs that have medical issues that need to be treated before the animals are adopted out. Even though the dog you chose might have been reasonably healthy, there may have been another puppy who cost the rescue thousands in medical care. They have to balance things out in order to survive. Sadly most of the rescue people I know have had to leave because they can't afford to keep subsidizing these dogs with their own income.

whatever

Lori you are mistaken. the poodle rescue place asked for a minimum of 250, it went up formthere for better quality poodles. dont beleive me? go look. I am not cheap. if it is so expensive why do other legit shelters who have the same vet bills charge a niminal fee of 60-80 bucks for the same kinds of dogs/puppies? You do your research. I DID. I am not cheap. A recued dog form a mill or even from a family who cannot keep the dog shouldnt cost an arm and a leg for taking it off a VOLUNTEERS hands (foster dog parent). They dont get paid for keeping the dog. get real.

MomV4

LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE!!!!! Puppy mills and breeding altogether should be OUTLAWED due to the epidemic pet overpopulation problem every State in the United States has!!! We have 4 dogs and 4 cats, all adopted. Do your part and boycott pet shops for ANY ANIMALS ON SALE, because ALL of them can be found at shelters: iguanas, bunnies, guinea pigs, birds, snakes, dogs, cats and mice, hamsters and gerbils too.

Merry Christmas from Fairfax, VA!!!!!

Gordy

Lori you so crazy!
The "Humane" society is a for profit animal rights group.
They recently opened a NEW multi million dollar facility in Santa Rosa, CA.
Fees for adopting a dog, or a cat is $340.00.
They want you to buy your pets from them!
And they do put down animals that are un-adoptable.
Be good to your pets, dont support the Humane society, aspca, peta these groups are only into profit, but hide their motives through tax codes and the "feel good factor"

whatever

Lori and shots, neutering doesnt cost 500 bucks. That is what some of those 'rescued' dogs cost.

whatever

If it costs so much for their care, get another vet. like I said, other shelters dont charge an exorbitatn amount for adoptions and they are the ones who have little to no mioney. they do it for the love. these rescue groups see money signs when pure breds come in form puppy mills. not all but the ones i talked with do, IMO. i have been a pet owner and spay/neutering shots are cheap. they have programs for that sort of thing for a small fee.

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

A good story for once. Credit where credit is due - thank you for exposing this TMZ

FlyontheWallTMZ@aol.com

Yes I have owned one before and also a pure bred pointer that was as wild as they come - loved them all - great dogs - also saved 3 stray dogs - one had a broken leg - both had heart worms spend thousands on them, they were great dogs. Also have 2 screaming parrots lol -fun to watch them and the dogs mess with each other, also have had up to 300 racing pigeons at one time, Most of my freinds wanted to move into the pigeon loft as it is nicer than most of their homes. I take care of my animals pretty well.

Thanks for the concern

Have a great day and please treat your amimals better than you do yourself. Thanks